Phala Beach – Our House

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Phala Beach – New Borehole

Postby fredlk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:47 pm

pklongball wrote:I'm sure Khun Fluke will do a great job for him.

Thanks, I'm sure he will. I had also read your story before choosing him. So far all his clients are happy bunnies.
Our guy did not say or do anything and we had water and mud flying all over the place and they did nothing to protect the walls or other stuff and also did nothing to clean up later.

That would make me really mad, but often they will concentrate on their own job and not care too much about side effects even if they do notice them. The fact that I have employed a Project Manager to watch everything is so far working out well because he's strict on my behalf and his experience helps in making decisions. Actually I have one because of all the disasters I've seen when people like me try and take on building without enough knowledge.
I have one run of piping in with four different makes of impact head and I can say that I am very happy with the Naan 427B head so far so i will be buying another 10 soon.

I want to do the same or similar later so I have a question: if your pipes are under the soil, aren't you afraid someone might puncture one some day? What kind of pipe are you using?
So it would appear we have a high iron content but without really testing I don't know.

If I remember correctly I think it's zinc in the water around our area. I've read that it's not too good for plants in the long run so I'm planning on using a reverse osmosis filter. My water is crystal clear ... at the moment.
I hope all the folks in the building process have good luck on their projects.

Thanks for the wishes and all the best to you.
Fred.
fredlk

Re: Phala Beach – Our House

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:37 pm

PK did I miss if you said the Franklin Electric 1 hp pump was three phase or not.

Again great pictures and narrative.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby pklongball » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:45 pm

BKKBILL I did not specify the pump as to single or 3 phase.

They used a Franklin Electric 1 hp .75kw 4" submersible pump

The pump is single phase 230 volt 50 hz. I looked at the Franklin web site and based on the listed submersible systems they have 3 phase pumps also. Franklin is worldwide and can supply just about any type of pumping system a person or company requires.

For Fredlk,

I want to do the same or similar later so I have a question: if your pipes are under the soil, aren't you afraid someone might puncture one some day? What kind of pipe are you using?

My sprinkler piping at his point is blue pvc ad above ground. As I said I am doing this over time and totally amateur and DIY. I read on the net about sprinklers and my first run of pipe is nothing more than a straight run with 4 heads and an on/off valve. All above ground except where I tapped in to the water line. I am experimenting at this point to see how many impact heads and what brand seem to work the best. If and when I call the install complete I will bury the pipes and add a control box and some solenoid valves. But for now I am just beginning and only phase 1 is started. Phase 2 is adding a second line in the back yard to get the complete coverage of the back. This 1st one only gets about 50%. When I am satisfied with the operation of Phases 1 & 2, I will move to 3 & 4 which is the front yard sections.
The one aspect that is still a concern is using the well submersible as the primary pump to push water to this system. Right now with four heads on a line it is doing a great job with perfect volume and pressure for me and the heads. I would say the limit may be 5 heads or six depending on the head type.

As to the water quality i guess I have a different opinion regarding the water and brown stains. My reading seems to indicate iron and/or manganese I believe.

Manganese
Manganese is a mineral that naturally occurs in rocks and soil and is a normal constituent of the human diet. It exists in well water as a groundwater mineral, but may also be present due to underground pollution sources. You may suspect that manganese is in your water if the water is discolored (brownish-red), causes staining of plumbing fixtures or clothing or has an off-taste or odor. Exposure to high concentrations of manganese over the course of years has been associated with toxicity to the nervous system, producing a syndrome that resembles Parkinson Disease.

Iron
Iron in drinking water is a very common problem. It can enter a water system by leaching natural deposits and from iron-bearing industrial wastes, effluents from pickling operations or acidic mine drainage. Iron can do great economic damage when found in domestic water supplies. Iron levels over 0.3 mg/L cause several problems. It leaves reddish brown stains on laundry, porcelain fixtures, sinks and tubs. It also results in a metallic taste in the water. Higher levels of iron may also discolor the water or result in sediment. The EPA recommended limit is 0.3 mg/L.

Manganese
Manganese in water is a common, naturally occurring problem. It can also be introduced by industry. Manganese is usually found in combination with iron. It causes a bitter taste in water, and at concentrations above 0.05 mg/L, it causes dark scale in pipes and water heaters. High levels of manganese cause black staining of plumbing fixtures and laundry, and clogs up submersible pumps and pipes. The EPA recommended limit is 0.05 mg/L.

Zinc
Zinc is commonly found in many natural waters. The deterioration of galvanized iron and leaching of brass can add substantial amounts of zinc to water. Industrial effluents may also contribute large amounts of zinc to drinking water. Zinc is essential to human metabolism and has been found to be necessary for proper body growth. Although essential in our diet, high zinc concentrations in water can irritate the human digestive system. Levels above 5 mg/L cause a bitter metallic taste and opalescence in alkaline drinking water. High concentrations of zinc suggest the presence of lead and cadmium, common impurities from the galvanizing process. The EPA recommended limit is 5 mg/L.
The complete picture story of our house build can be found here--My Gallery!
pklongball

Postby thaifly » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:22 pm

its a gidday to P.K and all...its the thai fly from mae rim...fresh from receiving 3 consective red cards.. :D :lol: surely another C.T.H. record to the fly :D :D :D ... our irragation system...was a entirely seperate identity... to the domestic set up..if i got you right :?: :?: you are combining domestic/irragation to do the job :?: :?: if so ..perhaps.. this will lead to possible repercussions. :?: :?: :( its A RED CARD GIDDAY TO ALL..its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby pklongball » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:31 pm

Fly,,,,,,without re-reading my posts? Maybe I confused you or some others.

No, my bore hole and pump supply water to a 1 inch line that only supplys the garden hoses and now add-on sprinkler system. I have it plumbed in such a way that if I open an isolation valve it could supply the house in an extreme emergency. But I have no desire or plan to use the well as a house supply especially now that I see the brown/red staining and stuff.

Sorry to hear you are seeing red lately
pklongball

Postby thaifly » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:47 pm

thaifly wrote:.if i got you right :?: :?:

gidday p.k. its the thai fly from mae rim..my appologies..got it wrong.. :) only trying to be of assistance.. :) the route you are taking there are a few hiccups..but that will come in due course. :( .again appologies..ITS bore well of a gidday to all..ITS THE THAI FLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby thaifly » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:41 pm

pklongball wrote: But I have no desire or plan to use the well as a house supply especially now that I see the brown/red staining and stuff.

its a gidday to p.k. ... its the thai fly from mae rim .. the poor quality of water described from the above quote can be improved to a good quality. with a filteration system and at the same time. you can kill two birds with one stone..a dual domestic/irragation system from your bore but working separetly which will give you a high quality standard of water for both services :) no not drinkable .... . but very adequate. .. .compared to your village water that you have now.... and in addition will help your naan sprinkler system.....a much longer lifespan.... then your plans that you have now presently in place .... which will be cactus in a very short space of time.. :( :( :( . its a ... i guess..a point in front of m/u. gidday to all..ITS THE THAI FLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby jaytee » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:17 pm

mildly surprised that u are not using the bore to supply the needs for your house but you have given your reasons :) nice work on the photo gallery on the same subject :D :D :D
jaytee

Postby pklongball » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:33 pm

Never say never about anything. My budget will not allow some things that I would like to do today and tomorrow and the list of what I want and what I can afford do not agree.
pklongball

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:50 pm

pklongball wrote:Never say never about anything. My budget will not allow some things that I would like to do today and tomorrow and the list of what I want and what I can afford do not agree.

Tell me about it. My wife puts it down to big eyes. :(
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby setaputra » Sun May 09, 2010 9:10 am

Firstly, you have put in a tremendous effort in giving so much honest detail and pics in this thread and the gallery. It is clearly appeciated and I second that.

In your walls gallery: Did you ever have problems with some of the walls where the blockwork was not staggered evenly ( ie not half - bond with the perp joint not galf way above the lower brick ). Some of the blocks seemed, from the photos, to be laid almost on top of the previous row.

Again, congratulations on a good informative and helpful thread.
setaputra

Postby pklongball » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:21 am

Well its been quite a while since my last posting here in our story topic but to bring things a bit up to date I can say that not much has happened around the place of any great significance. The outside landscaping is for the most part finished. My do it yourself sprinkler system is doing the job for us and making the lawn and tree watering quite a bit easier. The borehole and pump are doing a great job supplying the needs of water for the garden and grass.
We have passed 1 year of living in the place and all our planning seems to have worked out. We really like the floor plan we built. Nothing major has jumped up to bite us. A few minor roof leaks showed up during an extremely big rain and wind storm. Builder is repairing this no problems. A few aging and drying cracks have appeared in the wall in the living room area but he will repair these also.
With a year plus on the place we are quite happy with our "new" house. We still have a list of "to do" things that I could not afford during the build and we will get these done over time. The first is finishing the walls of the pump house and then paving the car park and driveway area. As with any new house the work is never really done.

I hope the other folks here are having great success with their projects. From what I see here on CTH there are some really nice looking places being built.

:D :D :D
pklongball

Postby fredlk » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:24 am

pklongball wrote:My do it yourself sprinkler system is doing the job for us and making the lawn and tree watering quite a bit easier.

It's good to hear that everything is as you wanted it. We all hope that we are just as lucky or clever. :wink:
I know you talked about your sprinkler system before but maybe you could give a brief "do's and dont's" for us who are going down the same road, like what is the best distance between sprinklers, etcetera.
If I am not mistaken you also had a problem with water staining the walls. Is this sorted?
Fred.
fredlk

Postby pklongball » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:04 am

fredlk wrote:
pklongball wrote:My do it yourself sprinkler system is doing the job for us and making the lawn and tree watering quite a bit easier.

It's good to hear that everything is as you wanted it. We all hope that we are just as lucky or clever. :wink:
I know you talked about your sprinkler system before but maybe you could give a brief "do's and dont's" for us who are going down the same road, like what is the best distance between sprinklers, etcetera.
If I am not mistaken you also had a problem with water staining the walls. Is this sorted?
Fred.

Fred thanks for the comment and good wishes. I have been watching you're place go up and it looks very nice and Fluke and crew seem to be on the ball for you.

I will make a comment about my sprinkler system and try to be brief.

First off I did a bit of reading on several web sites about system design. The tutorials about design give you hints about proper coverage using the different heads available. I tried to absorb the things I thought would apply to me. I was not trying to make a complete system for every nook and cranny of the yard but to give me basic coverage of the majority of the area. I researched several brands and types of sprinkler heads. Cheap ones are just that, "cheap" and don't give you the coverage for the pressure you want to use. They also fail easily. I ended up buying a brand made in Israel name of Naan. These were impact heads good for the pressure and coverage I thought I wanted. I then experimented with a single pipe run across the back wall of our yard to see how many heads and how far apart they could be installed. It turns out that 4 or 5 heads gives me what I wanted. So I went about dividing the yard into zones to see where and how to lay out the pipes. I just used the natural lay of the yard which essentially is 4 rectangles of different sizes. I have the main supply pipe running around the perimeter of the yard with hose bibs so it was easy to plan a point to tap in to that pipe and place a valve for the given zone. I placed the valves(manual) so I can open/close them without getting a shower from that zone. I will eventually hire a company to come in and add an automatic control and solenoid valves.
I bought all the blue pipes and fittings and did all of the cutting and gluing myself. I laid out one zone at a time and tested it and then paid a local young man to bury it. I used all 1 inch 13.5 pipe and fittings and the risers to the heads are half inch. In a couple of areas where the head is too strong I added a small valve on that head to reduce the flow on just that one head.
My borehole with the Franklin 1hp pump supplies more than enough water to power up to 6 of the impact heads but if I did this another hose bib would have such low flow as not be usable so I limited any one zone to no more than 4 heads. Other types of heads this may be different.
I'm sure the pros go about this a lot differently and the Thai contractors even have their Thai way.
My DIY system is working for me and really saves dragging hoses and sprinklers around 3 or 4 times a week. When I have some extra cash I will add the automatic control so then I can sit back and relax.
We have a few spots that still require hand watering but thats not a big deal.

Not sure if I gave you some do's and don't's but this was the basics of what I did. The only wish was that the borehole water did not have so much iron in the water as my nice white walls are all rust stained now

I think every tutorial starts by saying to be sure to layout your coverage starting with the corners first and then fill in the open spots. Always use overlapping coverage from head to head. They go in to great detail saying how to figure pipe size and valves and all the big time stuff but I went for the basics.

Good luck with you're build project. :D :D :D

After posting this reply I looked back at several posts here and it seems I have said all this before in several other posts but I guess its worth covering again. The one point of burying the pipes and someone digging them up? I am not too concerned about but it is possible. I already have had to repair one head due to the garden man and his weed wacker.
pklongball

Postby fredlk » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:12 am

pklongball wrote:I will make a comment about my sprinkler system and try to be brief.

Thanks for a great tutorial. I will add it to my list of things to do and how to do.
A long time ago I bought an automatic sprinkler system to water the small gardens on 2 floors of my townhouse and if I recall they were also manufactured in Israel.
fredlk

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story