Phala Beach – Our House

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Phala Beach – Our House

Postby pklongball » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:14 pm

thaifly wrote:its a giddayto P.K...its the thai fly from mae rim.. the thai fly has waited a couple weks before sending his congrats on your BO DEREK BUILD....as i did nt want put the mocka on you..until you fixed your electrical problems..whicg apparently you have done...yes matey bit of a downer to have on your firsrt day we had simalar problems in settling in but they will panned out for you i am sure...from looking from the outside and in a very laymans way..was your electrical plan a bridge to far for your sparky????...in any event you will get a giggle at a later date on what has happen...once again well done P0.K...ON A BO DEREK BUILD AND A WONDERFUL PHOTO GALLERY AS WELL....C.T.H. MEMBERS SHOULD APPRECIATE THE WORK THAT YOU HAVE GIVEN TO THE BOARD... its a NOTHING TO DO GIDDAY TO ALL....its the thai fly from mae rim

Thanks Thaifly,,,no mocka. We are in the place a month tomorrow and all the electric issues are history and I hope it stays that way. The real cause of the big fault has never been found and why I had problems and no one else in the area is still a big question. I think the answer is yes on the bridge the Sparky was crossing. He was over his head on the wiring of the RCBO circuits and I think this had something to do with the fault in the kitchen.

But we are moving forward and all is well and we are concentrating on the other tasks needing our attention and cash.
The complete picture story of our house build can be found here--My Gallery!
pklongball

Phala Beach – Our House - Landscaping

Postby pklongball » Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:38 am

Well its been a few months since my last post and I believe I need to make a report on the recent past. I have been reading with interest that we have several new members of CTH and I hope their projects go well and I hope my pictures and experiences have helped in some small way.

We have been here now since the 25th of July and I would say we are still getting settled into the place but very comfortable. All of the design features we chose for the most part work for us and we have had no issues with anything since move in day. I did have the plumber re-work some of the outdoor piping to get us a better system of supply. Also re-piped the outside hose pipes so they are fed from the main and not the pump.

We took a bid on the steel kamoi bars and they will be installed in the next few weeks.

We have our Garden man working on the landscape planting trees and bushes and laying sod. This process is going on for over 2 weeks now but no schedule as he also runs a garden service business and has other clients to take care of. He has shaped the ground and laid about 350 sq m of sod so far and moved or planted a dozen or more trees. The sod work is costing 50 baht/square meter which includes the grass and all the dirt moving and sloping work and any additional work plus fertilizer. The grass is nua noi? Not Malaysia. He recommended it for or yard as better. Seems nice to me and it is growing in nicely already as the rains came just after the first meter was laid. Its been raining here almost daily since.

We hired the tile man and wife from our builders staff to come here and work after hours and lay a concrete walk from the side of the house to the back veranda steps and across the yard to the laundry. 100 baht per meter labor. They have not been here yet as its been raining. I did some digging myself just to get a start and to get some well needed exercise. Don't tell immigration!

We also decided to add a few more bug screens from window man as the bugs at night are making a mess in the house between them and the geckoes. Helped a lot with the screens. Less bugs and now almost no geckoes in the house. We also had window man change the kitchen window out from a double hinged window to a slider. We made a poor choice initially but now better. We can use the hinged unit in the wall of the pump house when we build the walls later.

So that about covers it this time around. Next report should have the bars in and the grass and trees complete

The gallery has some new pics in the Other Stuff 6 album.

PK
pklongball

Postby changnoi » Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:40 pm

Hi pklongball, love the house have been watching it over the past months as you have progressed.
changnoi

Postby pklongball » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:01 am

Thanks for the comments changnoi, We are pretty well settled in now and its down to getting things the way we want them now and that is the making a home out of a house part of life. The landscaping is on hold and waiting for the dry weather. Too much rain in the last 3 weeks has stalled the outdoor work for a bit.

PK
pklongball

Postby changnoi » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:51 pm

Hi PK, the missus has just trawled through all your photo's and there was a lot of umming and arring going on. She particularly likes some of the thing s you have done in ypur kitchen re the units etc. Are you able to give an indicative figure to how much all the unit work you have done cost approximately. We have not yet started to design ours yet and the sorts of things we are looking for are not wildly different from what you guys have managed to incorporate in yours.

Changnoi
changnoi

Postby pklongball » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:52 am

changnoi wrote:Hi PK, the missus has just trawled through all your photo's and there was a lot of umming and arring going on. She particularly likes some of the thing s you have done in ypur kitchen re the units etc. Are you able to give an indicative figure to how much all the unit work you have done cost approximately. We have not yet started to design ours yet and the sorts of things we are looking for are not wildly different from what you guys have managed to incorporate in yours.

Changnoi

I will tell you that we paid what I call a premium price for the built-in cabinets. The price included the granite tops but not the appliances and sink but they did install the stuff after squirming a bit.

Overall the work is OK. I am not please with the results in the fact I did not pay enough attention to the approved design when the wife gave them the go ahead to do the work. The wall cabinets especially are a mistake. I will not go in to the details of this but if you study the photos some more you can see the error. I don't mean to make a mystery about this just not happy to talk about it on the forum here.

I will give you the advice of getting at least 2 prices and design quotes no matter what you're wife says she likes unless she gets more quotes. Don't let her talk you in to accepting the one from the person (company) because she likes the way they talk and she feels good about them because they were recommended by someone.

Our cabinets are Ok but we could have done much better for the baht we spent.
pklongball

Postby thaifly » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:24 am

pklongball wrote:
Our cabinets are Ok but we could have done much better for the baht we spent.

its a gidday to.P.K. and all ..its the thai fly from mae rim...all words of great wisdom from P.K :) :) the flys experience...was in a simarlar vein...to P.K. but our price tag was in the low to the middle range.. :D and at completion of installation..we had to go to a further expense of having the cabinets revarnished with woodtect to give it a better finish :( ..but in saying the above..the fly has seen some kitchen shockers..with a hefty price tag to go with it..so we were kicked in the ankles compared to them... :lol: :lol: yes P.K is on the money with his post .. A VERY VAULUBLE PEICE OF INFO TO FOLLOW.....in the kitchen den...GIDDAY TO ALL...its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby changnoi » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:20 pm

cool thanks for that PK and all will take that advice onboard.
changnoi

Phala Beach – Our House - Add Ons

Postby pklongball » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:35 am

Well it seems the work on the landscape has come to a halt since the last month has been very wet around here. Gardenman does not work well in the rain. The new grass that was put down is doing very well with the daily water. Even the weeds are coming back strong. He needs to get here and do some cutting and wed and feed application I think.

We also started a project to add a concrete and sand wash pathway from the house steps in back to the pump house area so we don't have to keep tracking dirt and debris around. We hired the husband/wife team that did our house tile work and sand wash. The pathway is about 18 sq meters of area at 100 baht per sq. labor. To form up and pour the concrete. We bought the materials. They will come back and add the sand wash as another labor charge. Seems fair to me as both things are very labor intensive.

They finally came out on the 27th and spent the day from 0730 until 1700 digging and mixing and pouring the concrete. Only a few breaks to eat. So now we have a concrete walk and soon topped with the sand wash that will match the back steps.

I added some photos in the My Gallery Other Stuff 7 album for you're viewing pleasure
pklongball

Re: Phala Beach – Our House - Add Ons

Postby thaifly » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:43 am

pklongball wrote: The new grass that was put down is doing very well with the daily water.

gidday p.k. its the thai fly from mae rim...again nice pics..hey p.k.. whats the go when dry season comes around :?: :?: appears hand watering will be done. .to get your grass through this period. :o :o ..this.. the fly will assure you will become a ardous task after a short time. :x :x .looking from the pics... you appear to have enough sq metres to install a small sprinkler system..not only will this releive you of handwatering..but give your grass a deluxe ride during the dry season. 8) 8) ...and wise money spent. :P :P .just a thought p.k. :D :D :D its a sprinkler gidday to all ...its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby pklongball » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:36 am

Hey TF, Thanks and yes daily watering does get to be a real pain and a constant nag from Mrs. PK. I have been thinking the same thoughts about a watering system on a small scale. For now when it gets dry I will pull the hose around but Im sure at some point in the very near future an automatic sprinkler is in the plan
pklongball

Postby pklongball » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:19 am

December 5th and Long Live the King. May he have a Happy Birthday.

We just passed the 4th month of living in the new digs. So far everything has met our expectation as to our plans.

Just in the last week we finally had the steel security bars installed and I am more than pleased with the outcome. The man we contracted with did a very nice job and very clean job. I would more than recommend his work. All the bars except for one window are installed on the inside of the the window and attached to the inner window sill. I have the double thickness of walls so there is more than enough room to put the bars here and not attached to the walls. Makes a nice clean install. The workmanship is very good and the bars are almost invisible as they match the window frame color.

We have been concentrating most of our efforts and available cash on the outside garden. We have all the grass in now and most of the trees and plants. Still waiting for a few on special order.

Water has been our biggest concern and effort. Without a well for a reliable supply keeping the grass going in this early stage has been a daily chore. I did not think to install a watering system before I did the grass and now dragging hoses around to keep things green is a lot of work and with the city water almost non-existent during the normal waking hours we find ourselves watering very late at night. A well install will be the next expense and then a watering system later. Providing a good supply right now is primary. If I have a well with almost unlimited water and a pump to supply the volume/pressure the water chore will be less of a burden. We can deal with a few hoses for several months.

I have added a few snaps to the "Other Stuff 7" album of the garden and house area now with the grass and trees and a couple of the bars to the "Windows and Doors" album so take a look.

Everything is comfy here in Banchang and the drier winter season has made sleeping with the windows open and AC off a real pleasure.
pklongball

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:56 pm

More good stuff PK seems the work never ends. I do like the security grates inside keeps the clean look of the house intact.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby thaifly » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:27 pm

its gidday to p.k. its the thaifly from mae rim...had a look at your pics..the security grills sure do look a bo derek..and do not stand out like dogs balls ..as in most cases i have seen...very nice job indeed...keep the water up..to all your trees ..big time ..as they will need it.. being so young and dry seas0n as well..the fly would be doing it twice a day....you will be in for a pleasant surprise when they mature..they will make your house appearance... better then you would have ever imagnined..its a CARLO ANCELOTTI GIDDAY TO ALL...its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Phala Beach – New Borehole

Postby pklongball » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:02 pm

I guess it's time for a report. I have been busy as I see several other members are well into the build projects of their own. One in particular is fredlk I believe who is using the same architect we had for our plans. He also hired him as the project manager. I'm sure Khun Fluke will do a great job for him.

As for our humble abode,,,,not too much has been done to make any visible changes but we did have a borehole drilled in late January. Took about 4 days total and about 71,000 baht to give me a reliable source of H2o for the garden and yard area (1100 sqm). We talked to 3 different local guys. Two were bore hole drillers and one was the dig a ring well guy. When I saw them actually digging a ring well I was convinced this was not for us. We ended up with a drill outfit that a Brit friend used for his place. The photos of our drilling are now in My Gallery under an album "Drilling a well"
The process was something I have never been witness to before and if anyone is contemplating a borehole after they finish construction and landscaping make sure you know the location in your yard and find out if the driller will be protecting anything near (within 20 meters) of the drilling operation. Our guy did not say or do anything and we had water and mud flying all over the place and they did nothing to protect the walls or other stuff and also did nothing to clean up later. I see fredlk has already drilled his well on the construction site as it is the best way of doing it. No fuss, no mess. In our case we did not realize the city water was so unreliable but more that it would cost us so much for water for the yard.
But after 2 days of drilling and one day for fitting we now have a 43 meter deep borehole that so far has given us all the water we need for the yard. I have run the pump 3 or more hours on several occasions now and no sign of running out. They used a Franklin Electric 1 hp .75kw 4" submersible pump connected to an inch and a quarter supply pipe and reduced to my one inch feed to the hoses and valves. The automatic pressure control shows a constant 50 psi even with 4 hoses open. I am more than pleased so far and I can say the "thaifly" had some influence in this decision to go for the borehole vs. a ringwell.
I am in the process of adding a DIY sprinkler system now. I have one run of piping in with four different makes of impact head and I can say that I am very happy with the Naan 427B head so far so i will be buying another 10 soon.
The grass and trees are growing and the water keeps things green now. Only trouble is that we must call the garden man once a month or so to cut the stuff.

I have located a water testing lab in Bangkok that gave me a quote for a complete water test but for now I will not test as we don't intend to use the stuff in the house pipes. I do notice the well water smell and we are starting to see the brown,red rust type staining on the walls and other places. So it would appear we have a high iron content but without really testing I don't know.

I hope all the folks in the building process have good luck on their projects.
pklongball

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story