Phala Beach – Our House

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Phala Beach – Our House

Postby pklongball » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:15 am

:D

Happy New Year to all

:D

Phala Beach – Our House

Well the time has finally arrived. We broke ground and will start our house build here in Phala Beach. Coordinates are Lat.=12.40.26.67 N Long.= 101.221.97E

The official start will be on 5 January 2009, at 0909 hours local time. According to the Shaman who will do the praying and blessing this is the day and time when all is best for us.

I’m starting the topic now and posting a few preliminary photos in the Users Gallery
My Gallery! to get the topic off the ground. We received the title deed (Chanote) about 2 months now. We have been planning this for about 2+ years now.

After looking and looking we decided to do the design ourselves. I found a young man in Pattaya that is working, going to school and more. He did the architect work and some simple 3D pictures for us using his contacts at school. I initially did the flooplans using Chief Architect and then Fluke our Arch did the rest with us reviewing and changing. This proved to be a challenge but we got through it and are satisfied. The house is totally our layout. Neung and I fought over the floor plan many times because she is intent on using Feng Shui to place rooms, doors etc. Overall usable area will be about 220 sq m. with a gable roof style.

All permissions, stamps to the plans and documents have been obtained by us personally from the Thai Navy and the Phala district and Banchang land offices. Our plans have been approved by all. This process took a total of about 3 weeks to get the required stamps and documents. With the help of a lady we know we already got the land and house registered and we have the Blue House book with my wife listed and she already changed her ID card showing the new house as her home. Total costs for all this was less than 1,500 baht.

The project is not a do-it-yourself build although I will be involved in the build on a daily basis and having direct input regarding the electrics and plumbing work. We have talked with several builders and found one that has been in the local area all his life and actually lives just around the corner from our plot. We call him Khun Apple or Pi Apple. Our agreement is labor and material with 4 scheduled payments. The agreed cost will be 2.2 million baht. The price will fluctuate a bit I’m sure depending on the choices of finish materials such as tile, bath fixtures and such. The price does not include the finished kitchen. The price does not include a car park, pool or tank/pump house.

I will explain more as we move along in the project which we hope to be 6 months.

My first series of pictures are photos taken during the plot buying and very beginning of the build. The seller kept the land cleared during the year we were paying and did the final clearing. The price of the plot includes a perimeter wall and gate. The wall as you will see in the photos is very poor to say the least but it comes with the plot and for now my budget cannot handle a real wall. If this one stands for at least a couple of years I’ll be happy.

We have temporary electric for the build installed and within a few weeks we should have a water supply from the city supply. The house has been laid out and the holes all dug for the foundation work to start on the 5th.

I will be posting all my photos in the Gallery here

My Gallery!

After two plus years of reading stories and waiting for photos to load on my slow system I decided I will only post the story here in the topic and load all the photos in the Gallery.

I’m sure as we move along in the building phases I will say or show things that all of you won’t agree with or like. We are building this home for us and we have made or will make decisions and choices that suit us and our budget and likes and dislikes. I will try to answer all your questions. I have read many stories here and on other forums. Everyone has a story to tell and we all tell it in a different way.

Wish us luck and good building and I hope in 6 months we will be moving in to our new Phala Beach Home.

PK and Mrs.PK
The complete picture story of our house build can be found here--My Gallery!
pklongball

Re: Phala Beach – Our House

Postby thaifly » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:31 pm

...gidday P.K. ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM....the very best of luck...i am sure that your preparation that you have made will work in your favour... i have always followed a rule.....THAT THE WAY YOU START A JOB....YOU WILL FINISHED THE SAME WAY.... andyour preparation has been a good one..so the finish will be a good one...please take into consideration..you will be beaten up a few times along the way....your shelia will be your cornerman....tell her to have some smelling salts at hand....its last day of the year gidday to all its the thaifly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby jazzman » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:39 pm

Hi PK,

Pics are looking good already. Best wishes for the New Year and a successful build.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby blackknight314 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:29 pm

Pete, Glad to see that you are realising a dream for you and the Mrs.(?). Don't know if you are married or what your status is. At any rate... glad you are progressing as you have. I am sure that all will turn out alright for you. As always, you seem to have all of your ducks in a row. Be advised, if you want to contact me, you can use the email address in my profile, but the address that you already have is the one that I use the most. My profile email address is not checked as often. Best of luck in your new venture, and remember that even the best of roads have a few bumps to navigate along the way. Keep me updated when you have more "news" on the build. I have a favorite set for this page so it will be easy for me to return here. :D HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AS WELL. :D Roger
blackknight314

Postby mtsinternational » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:26 pm

Khun and Mrs PK, Exciting time and in conjunction with the New Year no less. Congrats on the success of all the planning and hard efforts that have been provided so far. Plenty more ups and downs as well as unexpected turns of events. As the thaifly made reference to, your corner person will provide the assistance and support to make it through. The beer Leo will help as well. Make sure you have plenty on hand both for you but you the the deal. Ciao!
mtsinternational

Postby pklongball » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:37 am

Thanks all for the words of encouragement. Yes in my corner is and will be more than someone to wipe the sweat away. My corner person is referred to as Mrs PK. We are not officially married but share our life together. Maybe someday the legal knot will get tied but for now we like it this way. No rug rats in this picture, neither of us have kids and the family will stay in the North. Just Neung and me.

I have discovered a slight error in my co-ordinates to locate the land. I'm not sure where I put the plot but the correct numbers for Google Earth should be:

12 degrees 40 min. 26.77 secs N and 101 degrees 02 min 21.97 secs. E

This should locate the place about 3.8 kilometers from the runway at Utapao and 1k from the beach at Phala.

Happy New Year :D :D
pklongball

Phala Beach – Our House

Postby pklongball » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:44 am

Blessing Day !

The real start day.

So here we are now the end of Day 20 in the build and the 1st official day of work. As the real start could not happen until today the 5th of Jan. 2009 at 0909 in the morning. Photos can be viewed at My Gallery

Over the weekend on the 3rd and 4th Khun Apple’s crew moved in some more equipment and supplies and the all important rebar forms that they had been pre-making at his “factory” in his back yard.

They spent the weekend layering the bottoms of all the footing holes with concrete and installing the wooden forms for the footing pour. After this they then placed the rebar footing cages into each hole and somewhat carefully measured to be sure they were in the correct place. They also placed some small but important concrete spacers under the rebar cages to “lift” the cage above the floor of the hole so the concrete could fill in all around the cage.

On Monday the 5th (Blessing Day) everyone arrived early as this was the “big” day for us.
Blessing Man and his assistant got here around 7 and Mrs PK at about 715. I came at 8. Apple and crew about 715.

Everybody got to work getting ready for the ceremony. Apple’s team got the mixer operational with a cable to the electric supply. The drums were prefilled with water and the cement and materials were readied for a day long operation.

Blessing Man and helper got things under control and when I showed at 8 he was busy saying some of the many prayers to bless our build, us and the crew for a successful build. He made more preparations getting the 2 center rebar columns adorned with flowers, banana leaves and most important some gold and money to ensure we will have a rich house and be lucky about money.

At the appointed hour or 0909 the first column was raised and we all chanted and yelled. And shortly we lifted the 2nd into place. Then we fittingly (Neung and I) poured 3 each buckets of concrete into the first footing hole to start the build. From there the team took over and spent the remainder of the day, a long hot day, hand pouring concrete into the footings one after the other. I would guess they made at least 6 or 7 holes by day end.

Some selected photos of this occasion are in My Gallery

We had visits from 3 mates that live in the area. Now we are on the way and no turning back. Hopefully Buddha will keep an eye on things and keep the workers happy so they will do their best job ever.
pklongball

Postby mtsinternational » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:06 pm

Congratulations Khun and Mrs PK on the start of your build. Even though Mrs and I were unaable to attend the ceremony, our thoughts were with you both on this day. Thanks for the post and looking forward to the "rest of the story".
mtsinternational

Postby pklongball » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:20 pm

Thanks for the kind :D words and we missed you. A few of our mates were there to lend their support in your absence.
pklongball

Phala Beach – Our House- Foundation

Postby pklongball » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:31 pm

Day 21

Now that the blessing is complete the work crew got down to a full day today 6 Jan 09'. It was sunny and hot and very dry. We came round about noon today to see the rebar columns were all in place and as I guessed there was about 8 of the footings poured. The first ones done were having the lower column rebar formed with wood up to about ground level. As each footing is done they will need to encase all the columns in wood to pour the concrete for each lower part of the column.

We came as lunch was being readied for the crew. One of the ladies from the bucket brigade and a helper was preparing a papaya salad and some other goodies. We did not stay for lunch.

We came back about 6 just before dark so Mrs could get the banana and sugar plants into pots to see if we can keep them growing. These were the plants from the top of the 2 columns used in the blessing.

Very quiet around the area at sundown.

The next several days will be completing the footings and the lower columns. My guess is a week or so.

So, stay tuned until the next episode. All the photos are uploaded to My Gallery!

I am placing all the photos in one place as its easier and less time consuming.

Later

PK
pklongball

Water and foundation

Postby pklongball » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:48 pm

Day 25 in the build and we now have a constant water supply for the duration of the project. We applied for and received a new water meter. Installed today 10 Jan. We also met with Khun Apple our builder and got an update on the process.
All the footings and lower columns are in place and poured. Most likely tomorrow a JCB will come round to re-fill all the open holes around the footings and level things a bit. Then the next step is bringing in more rebar to start the cages of forms to make the support beams between all the columns for the floor.
So the excitement :D :D of having a water supply and ongoing work on the structure are feeling good. No major issues to date.
The gallery has more photos added to the Foundation after blessing album :arrow:

My Gallery! :D

or :arrow:

Foundation! :D
pklongball

Postby mtsinternational » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:54 pm

Khun PK,

sounds as if the progress is on track and that you have the route btwn residence and new house build site beginning to to get grooves. Good Luck.
mtsinternational

Postby pklongball » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:24 am

mtsinternational wrote:Khun PK,

sounds as if the progress is on track and that you have the route between residence and new house build site beginning to to get grooves. Good Luck.

MS,

Yeah I am there every day before noon most times and then a second trip late in the day with Neung on many days also. We were there at about sundown last night and it was oh so pleasant. It will really be great to enjoy when finished.
Weather is very pleasant and cool the last week. Strong sun but no more than 27 in day and 18 at night with a north wind. Excellent sleeping and perfect house building weather.

They filled all the holes yesterday and will start the beam work today. Plenty of pics on the gallery

Looking forward to seeing you soon? Do you have room in the bag for some goodies for me?
pklongball

Phala Beach – Our House_ Foundation_Beams

Postby pklongball » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:34 am

So here we are a few days added to the build clock and we are moving along. I have added a few more photos to the gallery My Gallery! in another album related to floor support beam construction. The "Beamteam" as I am calling them, under the guidance of Khun Apple is hard at work in making up the wood supports and the steel rebar cages that will eventually be poured with concrete to make the floor support structure part of the foundation. Quite a lot of steel is being used at a fevered pace. This cool spell and no rain is really great for this part of the job. No slop to wade around in and cool temps to keep the workers hard at it to stay warm and no rain to rust the rebar.
I just saw a comment posted to one of the newest photos and I am not sure how to reply to a Gallery comment so I will post the reply here.
The question is? What size rebar in this portion of the structure? We are using 16 mm steel to make the basic cage. The second was how long are the beams? I guess I will answer by saying not more than 4 meters as each run ties to and rests on one of the footing/column supports. As far as I can see nothing is more than 4 meters even though some of the rebar is much longer and weaves it's way through the column steel. Where a piece ends and then restarts they tie successive lengths together where they overlap each other. I hope this is a good answer.
pklongball

Re: Phala Beach – Our House_ Foundation_Beams

Postby sjeng » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:57 pm

thanks for the quick response pklongball, that is exactly what i want to know, my home has about the same structure as yours, but they put in 6 x 16 mm according to the drawings i got from the architect size of the beam 4 m long and 20x30 cm correct?
sjeng

Next

Return to Your Building Story