building in nong bua (nakhon phanom)

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: building in nong bua (nakhon phanom)

Postby sjeng » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:08 pm

pklongball wrote:sjeng ,

you're place is coming along very nicely. I really like the look of the roof. And the outside paint scheme. My wife glanced at the photos and said it looked just like our house how can that be?

The living room ceiling fan is a style I am looking for. How many inches wide are the blades? What brand is it?

Also, the downlights look like a style I have not seen before. What brand and model number?

Good luck on the remaining finish work and soon you will be living there

rhe downlights we buy in a local shop the box had no name on it, but they had a lot of different types fir show in the shop, i think thisone was about 200 thb each.

the fan we bought in HOME DEPOT in sakon nakhon we did not like the one with integrated lightning because they are very difficult for cleaning. it is a thai brand but unfortunately the boxes are gone, 2500 thb each. i try to look on the fan for a name and sent for u.
so far good luck.
sjeng

Postby sjeng » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:02 pm

so last week 30 -6 we moved into our new house, not ready jet, but we could not wait any longer.
DSC01742.JPG
DSC01744.JPG

inside everything is ready only outside needs a second painting but the rain made them stop several times.
also the concreet around the house has to be done but the truck with the concreet cant drive in, so we wait for a dry periode.
DSC01745.JPG

then the builder has to clear wat shoud become our garden and take the rubbish away.
because of the rain the land looks like a swamp with many water and sticky red mud.

budget amazing we did make it with the 1.9 mil baht so no overdrawthe budget.
DSC01744.JPG
sjeng

Postby pklongball » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:30 pm

Hey sjeng glad to see you're in the new place. The first pics of the house look nice and comfy. Hope you find the place as enjoyable as you hoped. We are a few weeks behind you and should be in by the 25th. I busted my budget all to hell and back.
The complete picture story of our house build can be found here--My Gallery!
pklongball

Postby runker » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:59 am

Am I missing something here. First off I like the your house a lot, a few things I would do different but that only because I do a lot of cooking and I like have the cooking area open to the other rooms in the house. In this blog here I see one kitchen and in your photos I see custom made wood cabinets. There are a few other things that differ from one location to the other also.
runker

Postby runker » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:01 am

Oh, my bad, it is two different places I was looking at, duh. :oops:
runker

Postby sjeng » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:00 am

runker wrote:Oh, my bad, it is two different places I was looking at, duh. :oops:

No problem, yes we have an open kitchen, a mix of thai style and european. nothing fancy, only build in gas cooker. and doors frome home depot. we did buy a stand allone kitche cabinet, and a extraction fan in the wall above the cooking place, easy to clean and great capacity(tip from a friend aroud here).
so all the kitchen excl the fridge no more than 30.000 thb.
Attachments
DSC01754.JPG
DSC01752.JPG
DSC01753.JPG
cabinet
DSC01750.JPG
sink
sjeng

Postby thaifly » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:12 am

ITS A GIDDAY TO SJENG...its the thaifly..from mae rim...sure looks a bo derek from the pics..and what great value for 1.9 mil baht ....and another build on C.T.H. without western supervision ..AND..consultants needed.. sucessfully excuted...great work..sjeng...you and your family enjoy what you have acheived..the very best of luck and thank you for your building story..ITS A WELL DONE SJENG GIDDAY TO ALL... its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby sjeng » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:08 pm

Thaifly, thanks for your support, we enjoy our home for sure but we are not ready yet. when the rain stops we have to build
a wall, and do something on what have to be the garden.

will be continues sure

thaifly wrote:ITS A GIDDAY TO SJENG...its the thaifly..from mae rim...sure looks a bo derek from the pic s..and what great value for 1.9 mil baht ....and another build on C.T.H. without western supervision ..AND..consultants needed.. sucessfully excuted...great work..sjeng...you and your family enjoy what you have acheived..the very best of luck and thank you for your building story..ITS A WELL DONE SJENG GIDDAY TO ALL... its the thai fly from mae rim

the rain stops
sjeng

Postby sjeng » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:03 am

So after a year we started to build a smal 8x8 m guesthouse in the back of our home, a water tower the perimeterwall and a carport has to follow next.
we took a new builder, because the one who build the house is already busy somewhere else and we dont want to wait until next year, so we contracted a new one.

we wil build in the same syyle as the main house and i made the plan myself, not so exciting and with my experiance as an engineer and now i have seen the way they build its no problem at all.
sjeng

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:18 am

sjeng thank you for the continuation of your thread.

I had read it when first coming to CTH and it was good to reread.

As you well know we like pictures. Looking forward to the upcoming build.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby sjeng » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:54 am

so time for an upload
footprint.jpg
an impression how its gooing to look like, (i hope)

Fighting with the pics again but i think we got it again
The plan is to build a small guesthouse on the back and a carpark in front of the home
150 m perimeterwall 1,7 m high.
a small watertower , actualy we dont need it but it looks great and as a retired army member i need to have my own OP (observation post)
Firat we were also thinking for a swimmingpool but the high groundwaterlevel frightens me so if we need one it wil be an above ground pool.

The building is going on quick and good after 8 days the crew (6) they started alredy with the roof and the wall on the back they put in the groundbeam today.
Ed the contractor told me they first put in the sinterblocks and later they poor the colums over the sinterblocks. he told me no cracks later. Is someone familiar with this prosedure?

so far for this time enjoy reading and see u next week
Attachments
tuinhuis 009.jpg
roofmonkeys at work
sjeng

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:39 pm

sjeng wrote:as a retired army member i need to have my own OP (observation post)

I really like the idea of an observation post - I am entertaining the idea of having maybe a 10-15 metre high
tower, with a glass enclosed AC room at the top, for observing the surrounding rice fields. Also may be
useful when the red or yellow shirts stage an invasion.

Have like a small fridge with cold drinks, a comfortable reclining chair, cable TV, and the family in the
main house about 50 metres away.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby sjeng » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:46 am

ur my man, have to reconsider the hight and electric system. thanks for ur advice
sjeng

Postby sjeng » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:56 pm

So another week ahead, time goes as quick as the construction.
the steelwork for the roof is ready, rooftiles arrived on site.
footings and groundbeam for the wall in place. colums on the backwall are ready, the builder changed his mind now he put the colums first. (or was it lack of communication)
sinterblocks for the wall and the small red bricks for the home arrived also. so the builder (Mr Ed) (not familiar with the horse) can start wherever he wants.
I think they make the roof first so they can work in the shadow,

So we had an expensive week buying all the materials.
More next week and some pics also.
sjeng

Postby sjeng » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:57 am

after a few days of heavy rain the building continues.
most posts of rhe perimeter wall are in place.
the small guesthouse gets it shape and it looks good.
the roof is on and they are cutting the edges.

we did not put any windows only 60 glassblocks in the guesthouse, reason it wil only be used a few weeks a year when we have some relatives come over from europe. the other time we wil use it as a playground for the kids.

first we were thinking of building a pool also but the groundwater level (less then 1 meter in the dry season) is to high around here so we decided to go for an above ground pool. from intex. and when you dont like it anymore easy to remove.
We put a platform 6 x 6 m concrete for the pool.

so next week they start with rendering the home and put the block in the wall.

so still going quick i think
011.JPG
roofing
011.JPG (21.31 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
011.JPG
roofing
011.JPG (21.31 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
Attachments
013.JPG
finishing the roof
013.JPG (20.03 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
sjeng