building in nong bua (nakhon phanom)

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: building in nong bua (nakhon phanom)

Postby jazzman » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:47 am

chiangmaiexpat wrote:Wow - hand-dug footing holes. Old school!

1 x 1 x 1 metre footing holes
    By hand: 4 man, two days: 2,500 baht. Perfect holes.
    By backhoes (JCB): I day, minimum rental: 5,000 baht. Holes still need to be tidied up by hand.

The saving is insignificant for anyone with plenty of elbow room on the budget. With careful planning, however, many small savings of a 1,000 here and a 1,000 baht there can add up to a significant amount, often as much as 10% of the total construction cost. This might be important for expats living in Thailand on a limited budget.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby sjeng » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:59 pm

jazzman wrote:
chiangmaiexpat wrote:Wow - hand-dug footing holes. Old school!

1 x 1 x 1 metre footing holes
    By hand: 4 man, two days: 2,500 baht. Perfect holes.
    By backhoes (JCB): I day, minimum rental: 5,000 baht. Holes still need to be tidied up by hand.

The saving is insignificant for anyone with plenty of elbow room on the budget. With careful planning, however, many small savings of a 1,000 here and a 1,000 baht there can add up to a significant amount, often as much as 10% of the total construction cost. This might be important for expats living in Thailand on a limited budget.

even cheaper around here,
1 footing 1x1x1.6m 350 thb
footing 1,2x1,2x1,6 m 500 thb. the quick digger in 1 day, another digger took 3 days and a bottle of mekong whiskey.

respect for these people anyway. i would not dig a hole like this for 5000 thb.
sjeng

Postby jazzman » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:22 pm

When working in the very hot months, I do in fact give my men a bonus of 100 baht per hole - almost doubling their daily pay.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby Rick B » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:58 am

On our apartment build, our builder didn't want his laborers digging the footer holes, since they were still busy finishing our house. So he put out a verbal offer to anyone in the neighborhood wanting to dig a hole. He offered 200 baht per 1x1x1 meter hole. I was shocked at how many people took up his offer. Most of the diggers were close to or over 70 years old. But they were all still very strong. He even had a few women diggers! Each digger finished the holes they started. Some dug a single hole, others dug several. After all of the holes were dug, the builder only had to have his own laborers clean up each hole a little.
Rick B

Postby jazzman » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:06 pm

I'm not surprised he was overwhelmed with workers wanting the job! At normal rates you get 2 holes per day from a man at 240 baht per day.
What one pays over the odds depends of course on one's disposable income and generosity.
jazzman

Postby sjeng » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:36 pm

so at the end the concreet is in about 19 m3 all done by the bucket, but not the buckets i had in mind, once again our builder suprised me with a real high tech unit a mobile crane showed up.
so the concreet is in and now have to water up a bit for 3 days, then the wood comes of and we can look at the result.
so the ground beams are ready, the floors for the bathrooms and porch are put in same time.
lets wait for the result.
Attachments
DSC01470.JPG
DSC01469.JPG
DSC01467.JPG
mobile crane
sjeng

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:23 am

jazzman wrote:By backhoes (JCB): I day, minimum rental: 5,000 baht. Holes still need to be tidied up by hand.

The chap who made the footing holes on our land has somehow created perfect cubic holes with the backhoe. No need to tidy up. He could probably have sliced a salami with that machine. Perhaps he grew up on a backhoe. :D Unfortunately, that level of mastery is rarely achieved by other craftspeople in Thailand and I am not even sure if backhoe excavation is a craft. And I shall say nothing about the tilers. :roll: Unfortunately, the nice backhoe work cannot be seen anymore, whereas the work product of the tilers is there to be appreciated for generations to come.

We also used one of those telescopic cranes, but just for the upper floor. I suppose, they use it because of the large footprint of your house which makes the inner space difficult to reach. It definitely beats the human bucket chain in terms of performance, but Jazzman might object that there is another rental expense involved in that, so that the 100-monkeys approach might come cheaper (in Thailand).

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby jazzman » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:58 am

Hi CMX,

I certainly don't object to any time or labour saving solutions, or indeed any that will enhance the overall quality of the build. However, as many CTH members are constructing their houses on limited budgets, my postings often tend to reflect this. :D
jazzman

Postby sjeng » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:16 am

so, today the wood from the gb was taken out. look quite well, only one beam on the back porch came out about 5 cm and is not strait at all, have to straiten up with the tiling.
now we are waiting for the colums to go up and the pan peun for the floor, that on the program next week i think.
Attachments
DSC01473.JPG
DSC01475.JPG
DSC01474.JPG
sjeng

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:14 pm

Looks floodsafe. :D

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby sjeng » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:49 pm

chiangmaiexpat wrote:Looks floodsafe. :D

Cheers, CMX

yep, 1 m above the roadlevel and no neighbours who fil up their land.
and we can catch a lot of wind from all directions.
sjeng

Postby sjeng » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:49 pm

so, one week out of town, so now the collums are going up, the ladies are bussy with forming the rebar for the roofbeams,
last week had some bad experience with our pan peun provider. we ordered lengths of 4 meter, no problem we deliver in 2 days, so what problem then, THEY DELIVERED LENGHTS OF 3,5 METER , so they had to load their truck again.They say verry much sorry, we no have 4 m length, So they have to make new, delivering on monday (tomorrow) I hope they check their meter before they bring to the buildingsite. oeps!

so for the buildingcrew there was some delay and they had to improvice a lot putting in the collums.
Attachments
DSC01497.JPG
collums going up, waterman in action
DSC01496.JPG
where is the bedroom coming in
sjeng

Postby tung » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:39 pm

Someone told me that to order these a week in advance to allow them to be fully dry. Dont know of the implications of them arriving looking damp but saw some fitted last week on a project looking very wet.
tung

Postby sjeng » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:54 am

tung wrote:Someone told me that to order these a week in advance to allow them to be fully dry. Dont know of the implications of them arriving looking damp but saw some fitted last week on a project looking very wet.

thanks for your advice, we wil look after that, delivery not today but tomorrow, so one more day for dry thanks to boedha
sjeng

Postby Viking » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:28 am

At least here in Norway curing of concrete to about 75% of total strength takes about one week. It is essential that the concrete is kept damp during this process, at a minimum the first 2-3 days, to ensure proper curing. In Norway low temperatures is the challenge, not baking sun as in Thailand.
New or improperly cured concrete blocks or slabs might crumble under load, so better safe than sorry. Check the quality before you start using them if you suspect that the slabs are fresh out of the factory.

Good luck with your build, and thank you for sharing with us.
Viking

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story