first house

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

first house

Postby Cookie » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:05 pm

hello guys,

i've been living in Thailand for the past 2 years and have recently come into abit of money and i want to build my first house, i have been in the construction industry in the uk for 15 years and i am a qualified bricklayer, carpenter and have completed 2 years of a site manager course, i hope my experience will help me somewhat in building my first thai house. i will be looking to buy the land around the pattaya area.

i would like some info on your guys experiences and possibly some advice on do's and don'ts and what works/sells and what doesn't that would be great. cheers guys!

John Cook

<edit dozer, no self advertising - link removed 12/11>
Cookie

Re: first house

Postby pklongball » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:52 am

Welcome Cookie,

Good luck on the build.

I will start you off with saying your experience will come in handy but don't try to force your way in the UK to LOS. It will cause you many headaches. You can get what you want but for the most part but building techniques here are not the same as at home.

From CTH there is a wealth of knowledge and experience in all facets of building here. Read as many if not all of the Topics and postings here and you will learn a lot. Obviously the costs today are different but the experiences the folks have had are worth the read.
The complete picture story of our house build can be found here--My Gallery!
pklongball

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:52 am

Hi John,

Good luck with your building project.

My situation was the reverse. When we started building I had 15 years Thailand experience but zero experience with construction. I learned a lot by reading books on architecture and browsing CTH of course.

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby jazzman » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:51 am

WHi Cookie,

My situation was yet another scenario:
8 years permanently in Thailand, 30 years experience in construction, zero money :D
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Cookie » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:24 am

thanks for the well wishes guys,

if any body has got any real definete do's and don'ts to list down that they have had experience with it would be great to hear about them, i am looking at probably selling the house after completion, so any info on what sells well and what doesn't would be a help, i've been told to stay well clear of having a swimming pool with the house as they cost about 4000baht a month to maintain?

i have just ordered that book i'm sure you have all seen, 'How to buy land and build a house in Thailand' is it any good? i will start to read it properly when i get a chance.

i think the build will have to wait until the exchange rate goes back up anyway, i don't fancy losing 1/5 of my money before i start! lol.

any help would be appreciated guys, thanks alot!

John Cook
Cookie

Postby jazzman » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:57 pm

Hi,
Swimming pools do not cost qnthing like 4,000 baht to maintain (unless you have been quoted by a cowboy 'service' ) They can in fact almost cost nothing to maintain if you follow the advice in the extremely detailed swimming pool forum on this board.

You will probably find also that the information on this board already vastly surpasses the contents of the 'book'. You can locate the info by entering a keyword in the search feature, or by rowsing the index page, and there is lots more on Dozer's main pages :)
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:07 am

Cookie wrote:it would be great to hear about them, i am looking at probably selling the house after completion, so any info on what sells well and what doesn't would be a help

If you build a house to sell it later, it might be wise to think about your target group Thai vs. Farang vs. Thai-Chinese. Farangs and Thais have quite different tastes. I could go on for hours about things that matter to Thais about which Farangs don't give a monkey's about and things about which Farangs care and Thais don't.

Thai-Chinese often place importance on Feng-Shui aspects, so you might want to buy a Feng-Shui book, too. :D

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby jazzman » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:18 pm

chiangmaiexpat wrote: I could go on for hours about things that matter to Thais about which Farangs don't give a monkey's about and things about which Farangs care and Thais don't. Cheers, CMX

I could too, CMX.
I visited a 2 million baht house yesterday in course of construction and nearly finished. The owner has been away for 12 months during the build. The floor has been cast in all the rooms - no thought for the arrival and exit of any water pipes in the bathrooms and kitchen...
jazzman

Postby jazzman » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:35 pm

chiangmaiexpat wrote: I could go on for hours about things that matter to Thais about which Farangs don't give a monkey's about and things about which Farangs care and Thais don't. Cheers, CMX

I could too, CMX.
I was in a 2 million baht house yesterday in course of construction and nearly finished. The owner has been away for 12 months during the build. The floor has been cast in all the rooms - no thought for the arrival and waste pipes in the bathrooms and kitchen...
Cookie wrote:hello guys,
...i have been in the construction industry in the uk for 15 years and i am a qualified bricklayer, carpenter and have completed 2 years of a site manager course, ...<edit dozer, no self advertising - link removed 12/11>

You probably know most of the things to look out for :D
jazzman

Postby Cookie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:52 pm

the fact that Thai builders could cast a floor without even thinking about water services makes me want to do the whole thing myself! i can see myself being very frustrated if simple things like this are not being done properly, :x i'm seriously considering hiring about 3 thai friends to help me do the whole thing. just subcontract out major stages. i.e pouring of the foundations. (which i would have set out)

is that possible? has any one heard of a farang actually building there own house? also what are the quality of bricks like in Thailand, i would like to be a bit different and build an outer skin of brickwork, actually that poses another question, do thai houses normally have cavity walls? a well insulated house might well help to keep the house cool and save on future air con bills! every satang counts! :D

cheers guys
Cookie

Postby Cookie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:07 pm

Also, i would like to know what the best way of aquiring land and building a house is, i.e i have a thai wife but if i'm being truthful (i know this is gunna sound bad!) i don't want to put my wife's name on any of the title deeds or her to have any ownership of the house in any way, for personal reasons i'd prefer to protect myself and my investment by putting the land in the name of a very good thai friend of mine whom i trust.

i'd like to know what you guys feel the best way of buying land is.

thanks alot.
Cookie

Postby jazzman » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:10 pm

Hi Cookie,
Pklongball already gave you some of the best tips:
pklongball wrote:...don't try to force your way in the UK to LOS. It will cause you many headaches. You can get what you want but for the most part but building techniques here are not the same as at home.
From CTH there is a wealth of knowledge and experience in all facets of building here. Read as many if not all of the Topics and postings here and you will learn a lot. .

Just take time out to navigate round the forums on this board and maybe use the search box too, and you will find answers in great detail to all your questions about bricks and walls etc. There is an extremely lively forum on what we all think about the different ways of buying land or protecting our property from grasping hands. Also, if you have time, do read the other members' Building Stories for valuable tips.

The problem with the floor with no water and waste pipes is quite logical: Thai labourers are not paid to think. The farang was at fault for not knowing that.

On Monday I visited a project where the farang had fired three labourers in quick succession - none of them knew how to push a wheelbarrow.

You will find that the general consensus is that one does not come to the tropics or Thailand and try to build a house using the methods one is used to in one's home country. It's asking for problems, and added expense (like cavity walls and wheelbarrows).

Build a house yourself with the help of two or three Thai friends? Is it possible?
- Follow this story and draw your own conclusions :D
jazzman

Postby thaifly » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:46 pm

[quote="

On Monday I visited a project where the farang had fired three labourers in quick succession - none of them knew how to push a wheelbarrow.

[/quote] gidday to the great jazzman...and all....its the thaifly from mae rim...never saw a wheel barrow on my project...3yrs might add...hey the great jazzman...why need a wheel barrow???? when a rice bag and 2 bamboo sticks ....just like a stretcher..will do the trick...cost..zero baht... i have a pic of this..will post in due course..you have to give to them they have a way of getting around anything...and that includes releiving you of your hard earnt...lost count how many times they have nicked me one way or another ..and from right under my nose..so..cookie ...my advice to you ..is brush up big time on C.T.H. board..and prepare yourself to be on site most of the time..otherwise you will be easy prey..a solution to this would be to engaged a overseer if you cannot be on site each day..well worth the fees ... i assure you... very best of luck...its a WHEEL BARROW OF A GIDDAY TO ALL its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby jazzman » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:58 pm

thaifly wrote:..and prepare yourself to be on site most of the time..

- your building site AND this web site :mrgreen:
jazzman

Postby geordie » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:13 am

the emphasis on BEING ON SITE is o so important every time i left site even for material shopping things ground to a halt the first couple of weeks progress was excelant but as they realise they are nearing a half way point things startad to slow down dramatically material requests come at 4-30 too late for an order first thing i chose the route of designing on the hoof to suit the plot but employed all labour on a daily basis paying a bonus for seven consecutive days gave me reliabilty feeding them at lunchtime controlled them from disapearing and made them happy as they ate free evanings a couple of bottles of whiskey and a few bottles of beer were an added bonus and bonded nine farmers into a team that ultimately did a resonable build in 5 weeks so yes you can do it yourself but read the forum and be flexible some of the thai techniques are ok some you will be dead against
but you will have to compromise and acept that they have their veiws on how to do thing and will revert to it the moment you turn your back the important thing if you choose this route you will be there all day every day and material sourcing will be down to you as will negotiating discounted prices yes i did it yes i enjoyed it yes the end results are satisfactory
but it was 12 hour shifts for five weeks supervising the job not everyones cup of tea and make sure you have the internet handy this forum has picture that are worth a thousand words a few of my guys building were taken to my hotel and shown what i wanted exelant way of overcoming the language barrier and impressed the hell out of them to see other thais doing what you were asking
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Next

Return to Your Building Story