My building story - Chiang Mai

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: My building story - Chiang Mai

Postby DrDave » Sun May 17, 2009 10:43 pm

Rick B wrote:Kevh, while you're talking to the builder about the floor drain traps, I suggest you also check the slope on the 4" waste piping. In the picture captioned first floor floor plumbing, as well as other pictures showing the large pipe, it shows your waste piping being run a long distance horizontally under the second floor. If these pipes are not properly sloped, you are likely to have solid waste (i.e., sh*t) buildup in the pipes and stop up the toilets. I personally recommend a slope of 1cm in 50 cms for the large pipe runs that will contain solid waste. I also recommend a drop in elevation on every other elbow. This gives the waste sufficient energy to move easily through the pipe until it reaches the septic tank. While I fully agree with Dr. Dave's recommendations, you probably won't have any bad smell coming into the bathroom without U-bends or P-traps, IF your grey water is separated from your toilet waste and goes to a different tank or hole in the ground. It's the septic waste tank that has the worse odor, not the grey water tank. But, to be fully safe, I agree that it is best to have traps in the grey water waste lines. Also, make sure the waste and drain lines are properly vented, especially with the installation of the U-bends. Without proper ventilation, the water in the U-bend traps that helps keep the odors away, will be siphoned off quickly. Water won't flow properly without a place for the air in the pipes to go as water replaces the air.

Good info on the importance of proper slope of the 4" drain pipes, and roof vents!
Regarding the u-bends/p-traps - in our case, the gray water is separated from the toilet drains. The gray water is routed directly to the city sewer system at the street. There's no telling what's dumped in there a little further downline (we're at the end of the line, at the top of a hill). If there's a breeze outside and I open the house windows, I can feel a current of air coming up from the shower drains due to the suction effect of the breeze blowing through the house. I'm not to keen to stick my nose down there to see how it smells! On certain days, when "conditions" are just right the smell is overpowering - probably due to something being discharged into the public sewer a little further down the line.
DrDave

Postby kevh » Fri May 22, 2009 5:57 pm

I have checked all the 4" piping. The plumber has fitted the "U" bends on the shower and floor drains, the waste and gray water are seperated but I thought it was a good idea. The tiles have arrived ahead of schedule and they have been installing the battens for the tiles. The brick work it coming on really well, the brick work is complete downstairs. The roof should take around 1 week to finish. It would be great to have the place water tight before the rainy season.

kevh
Attachments
149 (3).JPG
Large window on the stairway
151 (3).JPG
Area outside of kitchen and maid's room
161 (3).JPG
Roof tiles. CPAC Monier Prestige in Deep Maroon
165 (3).JPG
Battens for the tiles
166 (3).JPG
Roof & Walls
168 (2).JPG
"U" bends for floor and shower drains
174 (2).JPG
View from the balcony of the master bedroom
kevh

Postby kevh » Fri May 22, 2009 6:01 pm

Attachments
176 (2).JPG
View from the master bedroom
178 (2).JPG
Battens for the tiles
179 (2).JPG
Large window on stairway
kevh

Postby wanna » Sat May 23, 2009 7:34 am

hi kevh

it's a really nice house coming up.

and the u bends and s-traps nicely installed

do you have the air vents for them as well?
wanna

Postby kevh » Sat May 30, 2009 9:01 am

House is taking shape.
Plumbers and electricians are hard at work. Still looking into getting the 3 phase electric, went to the electrical department office about the matter, they're coming Monday to survey, we have single phase infront of the property, to the right about 60 meters is a 3 phase supply. I asked for a 3 phase 15 amp supply, total 45 amps, they said there shouldn't be a problem. I wrote down the estimated load etc..
The roof should be complete in the next couple of days depending on the weather. They have started the outside drainage.
Does anyone have any pictures of their waste water air vents they could send to me ?? I have seen a couple of different options, I can either go straight up from the stack and buy a tile with the vent in, then its free to vent off above roof space or put the vent lower somewhere, if anyone could assist here..

kevh
Attachments
001.JPG
Tile battens
005.JPG
Brickwork upstairs
014 (2).JPG
Car port
023 (2).JPG
Roofers hard at work. That day was HOT!
025 (2).JPG
Car port
031 (2).JPG
Inside picture of the roof
047 (2).JPG
Most of the tiles laid, cuts still to go
kevh

Postby kevh » Sat May 30, 2009 9:10 am

I'm happy with the builder so far, his team are doing a good. Had a few minor problems but nothing drastic, more through miscommunication.
Attachments
053 (2).JPG
CPAC Insulation
058.JPG
059 (2).JPG
Drainage
kevh

Postby kevh » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:33 pm

I haven't posted for a while, been too busy.
The house is looking good and hopefully will be completed between 2 and 3 months. I'm in no rush, just want the job done correctly.

kevh
Attachments
494.JPG
Car port
530.JPG
Electrical conduit
560.JPG
Drainage and hot/cold water supplies
569.JPG
Plastering
577.JPG
590.JPG
Tiles for bathroom #2
603.JPG
Tiles for master bathroom
kevh

Postby kevh » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:29 pm

A
Attachments
605.JPG
Finished exterior plaster
621.JPG
Electrical conduit runs
628.JPG
Ceilings ready for plasterboard
629.JPG
634.JPG
Decorative concrete rail which goes around the house
637.JPG
Shearwood with net above which will help airflow in the loft space
638.JPG
Beginning of one of 4 decorative plaster pieces, this one is at the top of the stairs
kevh

Postby thaifly » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:20 am

kevh wrote: I'm in no rush, just want the job done correctly.

its a gidday kevvy...its the thai fly from mae rim.... yes matey...PATIENCE IS VIRTUE..on any build to be sucessfully excuted here...sure is a monster size of a house..but very appealing....and the pics are great ...keep them coming if time permits...members love a good sticky...thaifly feels that you have a bo derek in the making ..but take a tip...ITS NEVER OVER TO THE FAT LADY SINGS..then a rain check for a couple years after that....its a very busy dozer clean up the board GIDDAY...TO ALL....ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby kevh » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:00 am

a
Attachments
639.JPG
Plasterboarding the upstairs landing
655.JPG
Trench for electrical supplies to the front gate
664.JPG
Kitchen wiring for spot lights and centre light
667.JPG
Wiring for the electrical consumer unit
669.JPG
Tiles in showroom for the guest shower room
kevh

Postby kevh » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:59 pm

Has anyone recently had their water connected from the local supplier ??
There is no water supply directly at the front of my property, the nearest supply is about 50 meters away. We had the supplier come round measure up and gave us a quote of 32,000 THB, which I find totally overpriced, I would like to here of peoples experiences regarding this matter...
I'm planning on having a well drilled and was just going to use this for the garden etc.
Has anyone had any problems with having the house solely supplied via the drilled well ?

kevh
kevh

Postby thaifly » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:25 pm

its a gidday to you kevvy...its the thai fly from mae rim...now matey flick the 32.000 baht con..they saw your wallett...san sai district..should be straight forward bore drill..my man a few weeks back was 800 baht a metre..at doi saket..say a 60 metre job..plus a high quality under water pump..job total 65.000 baht ..a ball park figure to work on...then get a capable water man to hook up a tank supply and filter system..and its over RED ROVER...as good as ferrier mineral water...may have missed a few smaller points..in between..p.m the thai fly if you want our bore driller to give you a quote...and look up WATER AND PLUMBING..on the index board for nmore info... ITS GOING FOR A HEINKEN GIDDAY TO ALL...ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby apetley » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:33 am

kevh wrote:Has anyone recently had their water connected from the local supplier ??
There is no water supply directly at the front of my property, the nearest supply is about 50 meters away. We had the supplier come round measure up and gave us a quote of 32,000 THB, which I find totally overpriced, I would like to here of peoples experiences regarding this matter...
I'm planning on having a well drilled and was just going to use this for the garden etc.
Has anyone had any problems with having the house solely supplied via the drilled well ?

kevh

Here in Kanchanaburi we were about 300 metres away from the end of the municipal water supply. Cost of hooking up was 38000 bht.
Cost of a borehole was 50000 with no guarantee.
apetley

Postby kevh » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:36 pm

Thaifly & Apetley

Thanks for the replies. Excellent information.
I made an error on my previous post, the nearest water supply is 100m away not 50m, this might be why the price is high...anyway still debating the idea.

kevh
kevh

Postby kevh » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:18 pm

It has been a while since my last post, the progress of the house has been excellent.
The house should be liveable by the end of the month.

kevh
Attachments
050.JPG
Sanding the dry lined ceilings
053.JPG
Tiles in the master bathroom
057.JPG
Tiles in 3rd bathroom
066.JPG
Painting the exterior walls
069.JPG
Lounge ceiling