My building story - Chiang Mai

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

My building story - Chiang Mai

Postby kevh » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:16 am

I am at the initial stages of planning our 5 bedroom, 6 bathroom family house in Chiang Mai.
We moved over from the U.K about 6 months ago and have been renting since we arrived. 2 months ago we purchased a plot, measuring 309 talang wah. Excellent location, 15 minutes to the airport, 10 minutes into town and good views of the mountain.
I have used a builder/architect that a friend recommended and have made some plans up, he is still pricing up for the quote. I am still waiting for the final drawings and will post when received.
I would appreciate any advice and tips during our building project.

Thanks. kevh
kevh

Re: My building story - Chiang Mai

Postby thaifly » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:16 pm

gidday kev..its the thai fly from mae rim...good luck..and go for it son...its a gloomy chelsea f.c. gidday to all its the thaifly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby kevh » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:22 pm

Cheers Thaifly. I am hoping to start the project in 3 - 4 months time. I have noticed the price of steel dropping recently which is good and hopefully the rest of the other building materials will follow suit.

Thanks. kevh
kevh

Postby jazzman » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:36 pm

kevh wrote: I have noticed the price of steel dropping recently which is good and hopefully the rest of the other building materials will follow suit.

It's dropped, and thanks to the PAD - although they have my sympathy- it is starting to rise again - get your orders in quick.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby geordie » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:10 am

kevh wrote:I am at the initial stages of planning our 5 bedroom, 6 bathroom family house in Chiang Mai.

my hat is off in respect is this your first build
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby kevh » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:14 pm

Geordie

Yes, this is my first build. I have been planning this for the last couple of years, so I know exactly what I want.
I have seen some of the builders work who is going to give us our first quote and I was quite happy with what I saw.
Just have to see what sort of quote/agreement he comes up with.

Thanks, kevh
kevh

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:59 am

Good luck with your project, kev!

My wife and I have just built a house in Chiang Mai which is currently in the finishing phase. It was an interesting experience so far. Sometimes frustrating, sometimes elating. I feel I've learned a lot in the process.

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby kevh » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:49 pm

CMX

Nice to hear from you, I have been following your building story for a few months now.
I hope your happy with the finished article and once I get started on our project I would appreciate any input.

KevH
kevh

Postby kevh » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:59 pm

I had 4 different quotes given to me, they were all within 200,000 to 300,00 THB of each other.
I choose the builder who made up the drawings. His quality of work was far superior to anyone elses.
I have attached a few different drawings to give the basic layout and design
The work has been started for over 2 weeks now and progress is being made.
I opted for the footings to be drilled by a company that a friend owns, each footing was drilled to 8m, 35 footings and 28 posts.
I will attach some pictures as progress is being made.
The builder will be taking care of the project as I can only be there 50% of the time due to work constraints.
I look forward to any suggestions and recommendations.

Kevh
Attachments
img145.jpg
img143.jpg
img140.jpg
kevh

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:10 am

Splendid house. No comments yet, just a few questions. Is it correct that the footings are 8 m deep? :shock: What have you budgeted for this build? Can't really read the measurements on the floor plan... what's the total footprint of this house?

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby thaifly » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:12 pm

kevh wrote:I 2 months ago we purchased a plot, measuring 309 talang wah. Excellent location, 15 minutes to the airport, 10 minutes into town and good views of the mountain.
I

gidday KEVH...its the thai fly frommae rim..nice to see that you have thrown the dice..and work has begun....best of luck...now may i asked wheres your peice of dirt???...ITS A NOSEY GIDDAY TO ALL...its the thaifly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby kevh » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:14 am

This is the house I based my idea's off. I found this in a magazine, sat down with the architect and explained what I wanted.
Attachments
Floor2-61.jpg
Floor1-61.jpg
big-61.jpg
kevh

Postby kevh » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:37 am

This is the architects finished drawings, we wanted all the bedrooms to have ensuites. The master bedroom has a bigger bathroom and a seprerate walk in wardrobe. The 2 bedrooms at the front of the property have balconeys overlooking the mountain.
There is an additional bedroom downstairs, this will be used as the childrens playroom.
I wanted a seperate car port which made additional space.
Maids room and shower room is on the ground floor. There will be a study area and seperate room at the rear of the house for tools and general storage.
The land is in San Pee Sua, just around the corner from where we're staying now in Farham.

Kevh
Attachments
148 (2).JPG
146 (2).JPG
142 (2).JPG
kevh

Postby thaifly » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:02 am

kevh wrote:The land is in San Pee Sua, just around the corner from where we're staying now in Farham.

gidday ...kevh...its the thai fly from mae rim...very impressive build...BO DEREK LOOKS... some size as well...hey matey wheres SAN PEE SUA.....AND FARHAM.....or what district you are in...may be better....many thanks.....its a lost THAIFLY...GIDDAY TO ALL... its the thaifly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby kevh » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:10 pm

Here are a few pictures where we are up to at the moment.
The concrete floors are almost ready to go down.
The land will have to be filled up around the house between 50cm to 100cm, to make us slightly higher than the road infront of the house.
The footings were drilled to 8m, this was my option to do this, as I thought I'm going to be putting alot of money into this and want it to 100%. This was done through a friend and the extra cost it worthwhile in my opinion.
The builders quote was 4 million for the whole project, this is excluding quite a few pricey things, kitchen, UPVC windows, Air conditioning, driveway, metal for the front gate, metal for the front perimter wall and filling the land up. Everything thing else is included to a very high spec.

Kevh
Attachments
183.JPG
157.JPG
Shuttering for front wall
146.JPG
Front perimeter wall
131.JPG
Filling up with CPAC
096.JPG
Blessings
091.JPG
Drilling the 8m footings
059.JPG
Marking out for the house
Last edited by kevh on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevh

Next

Return to Your Building Story