Holiday House in Khon Kaen - Thomas

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Holiday House in Khon Kaen - Thomas

Postby jazzman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:33 am

Supervision is necessary on complex or expensive projects, and is a question of what one is prepared to pay. It is better to build a house for 2,800,00 baht and pay an extra 200,000 for expert supervision, than to build a house for 3,000,000 and then have to spend 200,000 to have every thing put right.

Anyone building an unusual house for more than about 2,000,000 and cannot be present, can afford the peace of mind of opting for supervision. However, i know from my own 39 years of experience in France that most people in France nearly always try to get things done as cheaply as possible.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby jazzman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:11 am

My foreman 'thinks' , some of the time, but not all of it. In fact he is quite intuitive and a great asset to my projects.
I once pointed out a small error on something which I thought I had adequately explained, and he later said as an aside to my father-in-law, that he is not paid to think.
Touché.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby thomas.fontaine » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:21 pm

Jazzman, I fully understand your position and agree with it but the point is that installing a mirror on the wall takes 5mn max and unless you have 3 farang supervisors permanantly on site, those things DO happen, in particular when 99% of the thai people don't see any problem to have the mirror not centered on the wall. My wife is among the 99% and still fail to understand why I am asking to change the position of the mirror on the wall.

Supervision is recommended in certain (most?) cases but is not THE solution to ALL problems. A good building process is a combination of several things, adequat supervision being one of those. Anybody trying to explain something else would be incorrect in my view.
thomas.fontaine

Postby thomas.fontaine » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:45 pm

chiangmaiexpat wrote:
You put a "kalae" finial on the gable. Is that common in the Isaan region?

Cheers, CMX

I must admit that I don't know. I haven't often seen those in the neighborhood. Still, shops (Global and the like) are full of them, so I suspect there must be few around. :?:
thomas.fontaine

Postby thomas.fontaine » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:46 pm

I just came back from Khon Kaen for what was my last site visit before house is complete and we can fully enjoying it. I gave my instructions on the few things that needed to be fix, like the mirror not centered. I also asked to start cleaning the house on a regular basis as they are now doing final touch on most on the things and I don't want them to mess up the finishings.

I however had very few comments with the work overall since my wife is doing a great job with the day to day follow up. Our house is now closer to completion than the house next door that started 4 months before our but without on site 'supervision' from the owner.

Here are the latest pictures

005-r.JPG
Single doors are installed. Coating still to be done

012-r.JPG
Parquet is also done. Amazing how fast they go: 1 day for 50 s.m.

HPIM2720-r.JPG
View from back side

HPIM2721-r.JPG
The master bedroom private terrace

HPIM2725-r.JPG
Wooden cladding in master bedroom to cover concrete posts and roof steel beam

HPIM2730-r.JPG
facade detail

007-r.JPG
External lights are not necessary adequately positioned
thomas.fontaine

Postby thomas.fontaine » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:38 pm

Probably the last pictures before the house is going to be visited by the monks early next week. My wife will have to stay 3 nights inside before we can move in

026-r.JPG
Baluster is done

015-r.JPG
Blue for the boy's bedroom

020-r.JPG
Yellow for the master bedroom

027-r.JPG
Coating of the doors is also on going
thomas.fontaine

Postby thomas.fontaine » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:29 pm

And the entrance stairs

031-r.JPG
thomas.fontaine

Postby thomas.fontaine » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:30 pm

041-r.JPG
Purple for the girl's bedroom

042-r.JPG
And red for the living room
thomas.fontaine

Postby thomas.fontaine » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:27 pm

Here we go, after almost 1 year of planning, preparing, drafting, inquiring...re-drafting, pricing, building, house is ready to welcome the family and any other willing to visit.

014-r.JPG

040-r.JPG

049-r.JPG

My wife spent her first night in the house. She has to stay another 2 nights.

Still few things to do in the house, like the rain gutter, painting touch up...and of course final inspection/check to make sure everything is in good order.
thomas.fontaine

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:32 am

Thomas, congratulations on finishing your holiday house. Are you sure it's just a holiday house? Looks quite ambitious for that purpose. At any rate, it seems that you are raising the housing standards in Isaan.

Like the colours. Maybe the trend will catch on with the locals!?

You've had your ceremony before moving in? Is that customary in the North-East? Our ceremony is scheduled for April to give the Bangkok relatives a chance to get away during school holidays.

Good luck in the new house for you and your family!

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby thomas.fontaine » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:55 am

chiangmaiexpat wrote:You've had your ceremony before moving in? Is that customary in the North-East? Our ceremony is scheduled for April to give the Bangkok relatives a chance to get away during school holidays.
Cheers, CMX

That is correct. Here, in Issan, you have to hold the ceremony before you can bring any furnitures and move in. My wife was "required" to spend 3 nights in a row following the monks benediction. It would have been totaly unthinkable for us to move in before the ceremony had taken place.

Regarding colors, I believe that was quite ambitious from me to go for flashy ones, but I am happy with the results. Since we will bring a very limited number of furnitures, the colors allow to fill the space a bit.
thomas.fontaine

Postby Rick B » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:52 pm

Thomas, congratulations on a beautiful house. Everything looks great. And thanks for keeping us all informed on your progress. It's very interesting about not being able to move in until the house is blessed. That's certainly not the way thinks are done here in central Thailand. We had our ceremony about two months after we initially moved in, which is customary here. I think we'd all like to see some more pictures after the house is furnished and landscaped. Please keep us all up to date on your continued progress.
Rick B

Postby thomas.fontaine » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:43 pm

Pictures of what has recently been done on site.

022-r.JPG
Inside door leading to bathroom

When I saw this picture this morning, my first thought was negative to see those 2 gutters visible from the courtyard, but I thereafter realised that it was not such a bad idea after all as this gutter design avoid to have 2 rain gutters going down in front of the main entrance facade. Still, a bit strange. 2 plants will make it right.

024-r.JPG

025-r.JPG

026-r.JPG
So, shall I keep the gutter brown or shall I paint it in white?
thomas.fontaine

Postby pklongball » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:16 pm

My vote is to make the gutter white or wall color where it is on the wall but possibly the wood color up higher to make it blend in better with the soffits.

House looks great but those gutters do stand out a bit.

The Thai builders don't seem to want to come in to the 21st century with things like this.
The complete picture story of our house build can be found here--My Gallery!
pklongball

Postby thomas.fontaine » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:29 pm

Yes, you are probably right: white when close to the wall and brown thereafter. Will do it myself, as the Builder starts to show sign of impatience, to say the less, of being asked to re do things, while we are still holding 15% from him.
thomas.fontaine

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story