Chiang Kham build

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Chiang Kham build

Postby kornoipaddy » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:08 pm

hi

today we were called early to go to chiang rai and the homemart there. we chose the tiles to go down throughout the house. the tiles and schemes in the bathrooms and kitchens. they will look the part when applied to the house. i took photos of the schemes unfortunately they are too big to post.

I did not get the chance to take photos of the job as i also had to embark on a VISA run to Mae Sai (they always get in the way).

I should be on site tomorrow. today the crew should have been doing a repeat of yesterday. walls, door frames, window frames and erecting the roof structure.

I hope all are ok.
kornoipaddy

Postby kornoipaddy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:36 pm

Hello,

Had a good chat with the thaifly today on the phone. He sounded in good form. Hope he can make it to this part of the world when finished.

Today was another big day as the delivery of the roof tiles arrived. some have been broken already but can be used for cuts. most of the battens have been welded onto the rafters (around 80% complete). it was good to see that the roofers labourers was painting areas exposed by welds. there is no concrete ring beam to support the roof structure. this ring beam (or wallplate) is replaced by using the same steel used in the roof.

the walls have progressed also and i would be of the opinion that these are 70% finished. there was a commitee meeting about what happens with the kitchen and where to put everything. Also we discussed the master ensuite. door frames and window frames were also being installed today.

Tomorrow shoule be an interesting day because the tiles will be going on and the walls will be closer to completion. we were given colours to pick for interior and exterior painting. I ve always said i want a good finish. I hope i don't spoil it.

good luck
Attachments
DSCF0610.JPG
(today) end of play and the roof is ready to recieve some tiles. What a view
DSCF0598.JPG
(today) this is a view of the master bedroom with the ensuite doorway to the left
DSCF0592.JPG
(today) this is the steel for the roof structure
DSCF0546.JPG
(monday) this is a photo taken from the front of the house
DSCF0540.JPG
(monday) window frames going in and shored up. walls also going up.
kornoipaddy

Postby kornoipaddy » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:51 pm

hello,

have to say very frustrated today because there was many roof tiles on site however they were still at ground level. I hate when things come to site and they just lie around LIKE A DEAD DOG. some of the main causes of accidents is bad house keeping on site and accidents can be more serious when there are no hard hats or boots to be seen.

not all doom and gloom as the roofer was on site and finished of the rest of the steel work. the walls were also progressed today.

i am sure the tiles will be installed tommorrow. also i need to apologise for double posting pics of monday again.

good luck.
Attachments
DSCF0619.JPG
this is standing in the master bedroom looking over the half built walls of the ensuite to the kitchen
DSCF0615.JPG
this is one half of the front roof structure
DSCF0614.JPG
the other half
kornoipaddy

Postby kornoipaddy » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:36 pm

hello

I was on site this morning and tiling was in full progress. I should be back on site before the end of today. hopefully most of the tiles should be up apart from the cuts and ridge tiles. also the men were putting up the window and door frames for the front of the house (2 no. large double doors and 1 no. very large window). I hope this will look as good as it does on the identical house we've seen. the colour of the roof is a two tone colour which i think looks a bit better in these parts. if i get a chance i will post again later.

we had a massive down pour today hopefully this will not slow things down.

good luck
Attachments
DSCF0631.JPG
this is the state of play as of 2 pm. the land between me and the house is not ours but can be bought for an extortionate price ("no thanks")
DSCF0626.JPG
the front of the house with frames going in
DSCF0622.JPG
looked like my roof was going to be covered in people
Last edited by kornoipaddy on Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kornoipaddy

Postby kornoipaddy » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:41 pm

by the way,

we've been quoted a price for the concrete road at 300baht per m2. i hope this goes down (diesel has gone down.......)

good luck.
kornoipaddy

Postby kornoipaddy » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:10 pm

hi

as expected only the cuts and the ridges to do. here is some pics.

good luck
Attachments
DSCF0637.JPG
Here is the completed house (chicken shed)......... the uncomplete house behind
DSCF0638.JPG
a picture from the front of the house
DSCF0633.JPG
a side on view
kornoipaddy

Postby kornoipaddy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:14 pm

Hi

yesterday and today all that was happening on site was the rest of the walls going up. also we decided on the colour scheme.

the paddy has to fly the nest back to england so its a good luck to all. I am happy i have seen the structure go up so now i will leave the rest to the missus and her parents.

THE VERY BEST OF LUCK TO ALL.
Attachments
10-07-08 099.jpg
long view of the site
10-07-08 097.jpg
as of midday today
10-07-08 096.jpg
looking down the big corridor to the big window at the front of the house
10-07-08 088.jpg
this is looking across the front room
kornoipaddy

Postby apetley » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:31 pm

kornoipaddy wrote:by the way,

we've been quoted a price for the concrete road at 300baht per m2. i hope this goes down (diesel has gone down.......)

good luck.

Depending on the spec this seems a pretty good price to me.
Our driveway is approx 180 sq metres and for that we used 30 cubic metres of mix at 1800 bht per cubic metre. Thats 54k bht so that is 300 bht per sq metre before labour is added.
apetley

Postby kornoipaddy » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:31 pm

Hi,

I arrived back yesterday. I called my missus she said that the roof has been completed. Also she said that her father spotted something wrong with the roof. I suspect that some of the ridges or valleys were buckling. The welders were back on site and remedied the problem. Also today we are constructing a culvert at the entrance to the side. there is a narrow entrance to the site. Driving in and out requires care. the pipework was installed today. also we will be putting fill and/or stone to widen the entrance.

with regards the price pf the concrete road. yes 300 baht/m2 is cheap but you have to remember our house is located far from all tourist areas. therefore there is only competition for local jobs. this price is inclusive of formwork, mesh, concrete and labour. it is a 12 cm deep structure. However the downside is my driveway will be extremely long. i think it's 70 or 80 metres in lenght so price maybe 60 000 baht. I think its reasonable.

Also i don't know if I've mentioned but we will also construct a sala beside the large pond on site. added luxury.

best of luck to all.
kornoipaddy

Postby kornoipaddy » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:27 am

hi all,

I called thailand today and there was 11 loads of stone delivered today. this will make up the 70m long roadway to the house. as well as that they are plastering the walls. chiang kham has had a lot of rain over the last couple of days and this has meant that the people doing the roof have not come to complete the roof.

good luck to all
kornoipaddy

Postby kornoipaddy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:13 am

hi,

I have been informed that the roof still has not been finished. however the roof people should be on site tomorrow to finish the job. I have had pictures sent to me. however they are too large to post. they show that most of the internal plastering has been completed. i was sent photos also showing that the plastering outside is progressing also.

I was told that there was a lot of rain over the last couple of days. this has led to a lot of soft spots on the stone driveway so we had to order another 2 loads of stone. we also purchased a 6600 baht 250 watt water pump. water man has been on site and requested that we purchase the pump.

good luck to all.
kornoipaddy

Postby kornoipaddy » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:35 pm

Hello,

I have recieved some more pictures from chiang kham. I wish i could post them. The roof has now been completed. All the plastering has been completed to the outside of the house. The ceiling is now going in. It will be done at two levels. The ceiling is very high and i think this is why when we visited a similar project it was very cool. every time when i call i ask if it is still cool inside. Outside they have put a concrete footpath around the house.

All the extras are statring to add up. wiring for telephone and tv, electric, 2no. electric shower, fans and security for windows. I hope things don't get out of hand with regards to extras.

Good Luck
kornoipaddy

Postby kornoipaddy » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:22 pm

Hello all,

Just to up date all on the progress on my build. The soffits and fascias are going up and should be completed soon. also great progress has been made on the ceramics. I have recieved pictures and it looks like a good finish. also they have started building the double carport. concrete columns are up for this and the concrete slab is down also. we are now going to get the the electrician to wire up the ceiling fans for the big front room.

Again i wish i could show you by way of photo but these are too large to post.

Good luck to all.
kornoipaddy

Postby kornoipaddy » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:05 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Its give me great pleasure to direct you to photos of my build.

Please foolow the link.

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/th ... p?album=57

Good Luck.
kornoipaddy

Postby kornoipaddy » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:08 am

Hi,

I have recieved more pictures from the build. The front room of the house is starting to take shape. the cuts for the ceramics need putting down. You can also see the black border tile along the wall. the 2 en suites are taking shape. as well as the outside with the men forming the decorative features on the columns.

again follow the link for pics http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/th ... p?album=57.

Good luck to all
kornoipaddy

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story