Chiang Kham build

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Chiang Kham build

Postby kornoipaddy » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:35 am

Hello to all,

I arrived here at the end of last month. My girlfriend and I decided to go ahead with the build. Not a hard decision for me as prices are spiralling in the wrong direction here.

the build is close to Chiand Kham around 90 km south east of Chiang Rai. It will be a 3 bedroom bungalow. The design is one from the crossythai government website. i will try and find out which one exactly. The land belongs to my girlfriend. Her father uses it as farmland. On this land there is a substantial pool only for fish, chickens, numerous fruit trees and at one stage a couple of pigs now sold. the house will look at the mountains bordering thailand and laos.

I am a contracting engineer doing R C Frame buildings in England. i thought about doing the build myself. but i guesstimate at best i could do it for 900 000 or 1m at very best. but we got a contractor to do it for 1.2m. So I can relax and say yay or nay.

so far what has happened.

june 10 positioned house. got levels and lines down.
june 11 machine came and dug for foundation pads (17 No.).
june 12 plant arrived on site.
june 13 blinded the undersided of pads.
june 14 had Chok Dee Ceremony. also they install pad steel and column steel. After thay pour the concrete to all 17 No. pad foundations.
june 15 today nobody on site.
june 16 again nobody on site we go to the shop. my girl friend goes into the shop because i'm angry (mak mak). they say we have to sort out electricity, water and clear the access using a tractor in preparation for stone. we sort out the electricity, clear the access and get a water man on site.
june 17 water man on site again.
june 18 water man finishes up today and puts in the concrete rings. also the contractor come along and stone up the road for access.
june 19 have men putting together column shutters. a few are put up and concrete poured.
june 20, 21,22 ditto as per above columns again
june 23 machine comes in and back fills around the columns. also today the men started to lay concrete for the blocking up under the house. the house is a bungalow but is suspended. we will use pan peun (pre cast units) and drop them on the suspended ring beam. under this ring beam will need blocking up.

That brings us up to date.
kornoipaddy

Re: Chiang Kham build

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:28 am

Good luck with your building project, kornoipaddy!

I've never been to Chiang Kham, not even Phayao Muang, only Chiang Saen. What is it like?

Since you have experience with reinforced concrete frame structures, do you have any info on the properties of RCF buildings in earthquakes?

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby jazzman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:37 pm

Hi kornoipaddy
Sounds a very interesting project :) If you will have time, do document all this with pix and comments on the album.
The first question that everyone here is going to want to know is:Exactly how many square metres total interior living space? And the next one is: Was the construction permissioçn free for this house?
chiangmaiexpat wrote:do you have any info on the properties of RCF buildings in earthquakes?

That's an unusual subject CMX, and you'll probably get more response too if it is posted in the relevant technical topics or create a new one - not all readers follow the private building stories :D threads. (earthquakes? Here in LOS? :shock: )
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby kornoipaddy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:11 pm

Hello all,

Chiang Kham is a lovely part of the world. I'm still very young so will not retire yet but will try to oversee this job. I don't have experience with earthquake proofing. however the thailand structure seems extremely strong with a R C frame and also small beams when blocking up walls. i will be adding extra rebar around columns and to tie in the precast units (pan peun) onto its beam. the permission will be sought by the contractor. i will look into this.

Today the lads were blocking up where they laid the small beam yesterday. They did approx half the perimeter. when this is complete this will be the underside of the ring beam for the precast units.

I failed to mention i got our well done for 1800 baht and electricity for 4800 baht. i got a quote of 1100 per load for stone. we may need 10 loads (long driveway). Does anyone know where i can get a membrane known as terram to put under this stone. if i get the stone now it will sink into the ground when it rains. this membrane will deter this.

i will up load pics as soon as. i am only on dial up (is this the reason why it is so slow).

HAVE A GREAT DAY.
kornoipaddy

Postby kornoipaddy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:42 pm

Hello,

Sorry jazzman forgot to mention the build is a 170m2. the contractor based the price on 7000 baht per m2.

anybody know about terram the membrane for the stone going under the stone for my road.

Again i will endeavour to get images to all

HAVE A GREAT DAY
kornoipaddy

Postby kornoipaddy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:05 pm

hello all,

I wasn't on the job for long today. as expected the lads were blocking up around the perimeter of the house. we also consulted the plan today and wonder whether the kitchen is a bit small. I shall keep all posted if we make any variations

We will look into the construction of a road. as the access to house is around 30 or 40 yards. also we need to construct a carport.

Again i will try to get photos to all.
kornoipaddy

Postby jazzman » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:31 am

A kitchen needs to to be at least 12 to 16 m2 to be of much use. That's around 3.5 x 3.5 or 4 x 4 m, which makes it one unit of a standard construction grid. By the time the base units and counters have been installed, the actual space will be much reduced. It's quite common for the free government designs to fail on ne or two points. The houses were designed as an initiative for Thai families who won't be caring much if there is a kitchen inside the house or not. The bedrooms are often a tad on the small size too - again because the Thai families who go for these designs would sleep on the floor. By the time you have put a 6 x 6 foot bed in one of these rooms, there is no space for a wardrobe or a dressing table.

The houses look very nice and traditional from the outside, but many farangs have made the mistake of wanting to save the 10,000 baht on the plans for a custom designed house, and use the government's free plans, only to be disappointed later. A false economy, based on the total cost of the project.

If you're only going to be a couple without kids and not have friends and relations over to stay, with some slight modifications, the houses can nevertheless be a very worthwhile consideration.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby kornoipaddy » Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:39 am

Hello,

The men have finished all the blocking up. They are now fixing the rebar to the top of this block wall now formed 2 coursees high. this has been going on saturday and sunday. I have been inspecting the rebar and its in good order. Also the men have been busy putting shutters (timber forms) to the side of the beams. This will be the ring beam for the precast units to sit on. in some cases the ground has been built up to form the underside of the internal ring beams. I haven't asked but i think they'll bring in concrete trucks to pour all the ring beam in one hit.

We have made a couple of changes to the layout. We have made 2 of the bathrooms bigger by about a 0.5m longer each. Also we will add 1.2m in lenght to one of the bedrooms this will take away from some outside terrace area which woul never have been used. We rendered the terrace area useless and added to the bedroom. As jazzman has stated the layout is for thai people. the layout is killed by having 2 big bedrroms and a huge corridor. this takes alot of space down the middle of the house. one of the bedrooms is small but workable. the kitchen is only 3.2m X 3.5m also i think workable (JUST). And 3 BATHROOMS?????????? (maybe the people who designed these had to go a lot). 3 terraced areas which I am very pleased about.

Hope everybody is happy. I will keep you all up to date.
kornoipaddy

Postby kornoipaddy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:59 pm

Hello,

I was on a Visa run at the weekend and dropped in on a build exacylt the same as my build here in chiang kham. All my fears have been bombed out of the water. the kitchen is small but very workable. Also the huge corridor i thought that killed space does very much the opposite. it creates a massive focal point which i think will be great fun. and the small bedroom is not very small at all. the owner got some marble counters fitted in the bathrooms. i may also do the same and in the kitchen also. I must ask apetley where he got his.

However on the negative side it is the same company who have done the build and some of the finishing is a bit shabby. only in spots.

I arrived back yesterday and some of the beams to support the pan peun had been poured. approx one third had been done. also column shutters are on site and should go up today. my fears on curing the concrete have been curbed. the men are spraying water on the beam as it hardens.

Good luck to all.
kornoipaddy

Re: Chiang Kham Kithchen coounters

Postby jazzman » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:46 pm

Marble and granite kitchen counter tops com in precut pieces of 60cm standard width and in lengths of up to 4 metres. We have 10 metres in the kitchen and it cost 14,000 baht incl. installation. They sometimes charge extra for rounding the edges. Ours supplier didn't. Some people have a narrow strip glued under the edge and ground smooth so that it gives the impression that the slab is double the thickness.
It is sold in all masonry outlets. There are dozens of them. Just drive around till you see one.
jazzman

Postby kornoipaddy » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:05 pm

hi,

on site today and the men were hard at work still pouring the ring beam. also they stood 4 no. column shutters. they poured one of these while i was on site. I think the build may last a bit longer than the 3 months expected.

Thanks jazz for the info on the granite work top. they add a bit of class to any development. i will get or builder involved. if i can get him to do the running for a small mark up all good and well. by the way good practice on the perclolation area on your build.

good luck all.

once again sorry for the lack of pics
kornoipaddy

Postby kornoipaddy » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:00 am

hello,

again hard work on site today. the men were pouring the ring beam again. today also 4no. column shutters were stripped and same shutters cleaned and 4 more poured again (17 columns in all). not too happy with the fact that rebar was touching the shutter for the ring beam (no cover). have highlighted this many times. will not be happy if i have to highlight it again tommorrow.

again i am struggling to get photos to you. but i am persistent.

good luck all
kornoipaddy

Postby tung » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:26 am

kornoipaddy wrote:Hello to all,

It will be a 3 bedroom bungalow. The design is one from the crossythai government website. i will try and find out which one exactly.

Hi there

Any luck for the busy man to let know which crossy site bungalow you are constructing?

Would be good to know what the plan price was then (I think those plans are 5 years old now) and what your anticipated building costs are. I'm thinking about doing No 11 from the lists with a few changes here and there.
tung

Postby kornoipaddy » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:01 pm

hello,

Hi tung i was going through that site and i could not find it on the crossy website. i think it may well be a private design. The name on the drawings is home design. So i thnk i may have been wrong to say it was a crossy thai design (sorry). no. 11 looks lke a good bet. be sure that you know what you want. the best thing about 11 is the open spaces. I jumped the gun a bit but having seen an identical house i'm happy with what i'll get.

On site today they stood 4 more columns and poured more ring beam. 5 more columns to do. no columns will be done tommorrow as the ring beams are not completed for them to be stood.

Have to go gien kao.

bye bye
kornoipaddy

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:10 am

I recognised some similarities between house #11 (http://www.crossy.co.uk/Thai_House_Plans) and various houses I lived in, which you might want to consider. (1) The car port is too short, unless you drive a Mini Cooper. While 3m width is just enough, 4.80m length is not. You need about 6m covered space, otherwise the back of the car stands in the rain. In our current Moo Baan hundreds of houses were built this way and half of them are now extended with ugly metal awnings. It's easy to fix by extending the projecting roof. (2) The upper floor family bath room has two hinged doors with angles that face each other. That's a major annoyance, because the doors will always crash into each other. It's even easier to fix this one. Just hang one of the doors to open outward. (3) You can probably expand BR 2 by aligning it with the ground floor walls. Twice the space for little additional cost.

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Next

Return to Your Building Story