Building A Family Home in Chiang Mai

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building A Family Home in Chiang Mai

Postby Rick B » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:39 pm

CMX, your house looks great, both inside and out. The kitchen and bar area looks beautiful. Congrats on a job well done. I have a few questions on your sprinkler system, if I may. Can you give a few more details on the pump and controller? (brand name, size, what does controller do, etc.). Also, what sort of radius do you get with the sprinkler heads at 10 bar pressure and how many operating at the same time? What brand of sprinkler heads were used? Lastly, what size distribution pipes were used? Sorry to trouble you with these questions, but I appreciate any response you can give. Thanks.
Rick B

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:11 am

Thank you, Thaifly and Rick. With the kitchen finished, convenience has increased quite a bit. The frontage wall and the gate are finished, too. This week, the door bell and the gate lights were installed. There are several small fixing jobs left to be done. I have reserved the last payment to our builder until these are completed as well.

Rick, I am not sure if I can answer these questions. We paid a company to do the sprinkler system and my knowledge about it is limited. The pump brand is Maxcell, the controller's brand is Ceda (Italy). The controller's job is to control the pump depending on water pressure, which I presume varies with different zones. If you look at the photo, the supply line is connected to the pump (left side) and the feed goes out through the control unit (top). I don't know much about the sprinkler heads. I just figured out how to adjust their rotation angles. Still working on the other setup parameters. They have a reach of roughly 10 m and they can rotate 360 deg. The supply lines are the standard blue PVC pipes used for water supply everywhere in Thailand. They are the same size, too.

For now, the sprinkler system does a great job. As our garden evolves, I might have to relocate some of the heads later and possibly replace the manual valves with electrical ones, so we can automate the system.

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:28 pm

Here are some pics of the finished garden wall (42m) and the gate. It's made from standard sherawood boards cut to 1 m length. We paid 84k for the whole shebang including the gate which was custom made on site.

Cheers, CMX
Attachments
IMG_6838.JPG
The main gate is 6 m wide.
IMG_6841.JPG
Outside view.
IMG_6844.JPG
A small gate is located at the other end.
IMG_6845.JPG
First planting efforts...
chiangmaiexpat

Postby thomas.fontaine » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:06 pm

So your garden wall comes at 2k per meter, including gate. Do you have a breakdown between labor and material?
thomas.fontaine

Postby dooby » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:50 pm

Sir,

I must congratulate you on an excellent effort.

Did you install vermin/mozzie netting behind the ventilation louvres?

Did the builders put ties between the cavity/air gap walls?
dooby

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:10 pm

Sorry, I haven't checked this thread for a while. Thanks for your interest in this project.

thomas.fontaine wrote:So your garden wall comes at 2k per meter, including gate. Do you have a breakdown between labor and material?

It was a lump sum offer, so I don't have a breakdown.

dooby wrote:Did you install vermin/mozzie netting behind the ventilation louvres? Did the builders put ties between the cavity/air gap walls?

Yes, there is netting behind the vents and the eaves, and yes, there are ties in the wall.

Cheers & Happy Songkran,
CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:08 pm

Hello,

A few months have passed since the last post. - Everyone is happy with the new house. - So far we haven't encountered any major problems, except for two leaks in the roof which the builder has fixed in the meantime. Another minor problem are the three louvered doors which we used for the bathrooms. These doors are quite thin, and since they hang on hinges, gravity forces the rectangular frame into a slightly trapezoid shape with the lower corner touching the floor. Next time I buy louvered doors, I will make sure they come with a more robust frame, or perhaps I will replace these doors with half-louvered doors that stay in shape.

Otherwise, everything is hunky-dory. My wife is busily expanding the number of plant species in out garden. The dogs, on the other hand, keep decimating them. We are furnishing the house step by step. It's a slow process, since everything is selected carefully. I will post some pictures if I get around taking them... For now I have attached a picture of the view from the upper balcony. That's become my favourite place to take breakfast, since it's cool and shady in the morning.

A big hello to all fellow home builders and good luck with your project!

Cheers, CMX
Attachments
IMG_6839.JPG
View from upper balcony
chiangmaiexpat

Postby Nemo » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:52 pm

So it took you about a year then from start to finish?
Nemo

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:14 pm

A bit less; about 10 months from breaking ground to moving in. We originally planned 8 months, so the project ended 2 months behind schedule.

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby thaifly » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:36 am

chiangmaiexpat wrote:
A few months have passed since the last post. - Everyone is happy with the new house everything is hunky-dory.

its a gidday to C.N.X...very pleased that the house has paid off..you certainly put in a monumental effort to get the bickies.. that you richly deserve...good luck...ITS A DETERMINE CHELSEA GIDDAY TO ALL...its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:00 pm

CMX you have done an excellent job on the built, the finish, and answering all the questions asked. I read your thread when first joining CTH and have enjoyed reading it a second time now. We are trying to sell some property here in BKK if that is successful plan on getting land in Chiang Mai province and will use many of your ideas. Again thank you for taking the time to post.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby phoegonix » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:40 pm

hi there,
i have a plot of land in doi saket, very nearthe tao garden, i would like to build a few houses on it. but now i am stationed in singapore. my plot is 6.5 rai or abt 100000 sq ft. so i think perhaps houses with 8k gardens would be lovely. i am wondering, through your building of your own home, whether the builders you had were reliable, responsible and professional in their work? so far i have been unable to find a builder like that without it costing me an arm and a leg! i am thinking of building one house first as a show house, not toolarge, perhaps 120 sqM with a lap pool on the lines of the banyan tree? would love to hear what you think.
i am weng, singaporean, who isin love with the expanse of space in thailand!
hope to hear from you,
cheers :)
phoegonix

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:32 pm

Hi there,

am wondering, through your building of your own home, whether the builders you had were reliable, responsible and professional in their work?

Probably not by Singaporean standards. Without constant supervision and correcting errors on a daily basis, things would have gone quite wrong. Besides, the craftsmanship, especially the finishing, is not what one would expect in Europe (or Singapore), but then again this house only costs a fraction of what a comparable house in Europe (or Singapore) would cost. In Thailand you can either manage the project yourself, which requires speaking Thai and lots of time/nerves, or you can pay someone else for the effort, which requires... dollars.

I am attaching a picture shot from the garden last week that shows our planting efforts so far. My wife is contemplating a fish pond, and/or a Thai-style sala. We've meanwhile installed an air conditioner, satellite TV, exchanged the bathroom doors, and did some interior decoration work.

Cheers, CMX
Attachments
IMG_7864.JPG
Garden plants
chiangmaiexpat

Postby cfhebertjrphayao » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:30 am

To chiangmaiexpat... please provide a model number for the Hafele, pop out dust bins, with some dimensional information, if possible?

Thanks
cfhebertjrphayao

Previous

Return to Your Building Story