Building A Family Home in Chiang Mai

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building A Family Home in Chiang Mai

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:13 pm

cruzing wrote:Not only does it hinder the work, it creates a danger, and materials end up getting damage and you pay double for supplies etc. etc. In the beginning I don't know how many useable tiles we picked up out of their discard pile.

Yes, I agree cruzing. In the meantime they have cleared up most of the rubbish. Apparently it was getting too much even for them, although they seem to have pretty high tolerance levels. They also threw away whole tiles. Now that they have broken one tile in the maid room, they need to buy a new pack to replace them. That's coming out of the builder's profit margin, just like the two broken lamps. :evil:

Rick B wrote:CMX, just a friendly observation and suggestion for you. It appears in the picture above of the septic tank that the 4" waste piping just upstream of the tank is sloping upward.

Thanks for mentioning it. Now that I look at the picture it does indeed appear that way, although I did not see it when I was at the site last time. I will check again.

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby jazzman » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:47 am

It has already been reported on this board a couple of times in the past that Thailand benefits from an exclusive geophysical phenomenon: water runs uphill...
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:11 am

We have started to work on the interior. The first thing is the kitchen. Yesterday we went to the carpentry shop in Chiang Mai to discuss the details of the cabinetry. I have attached the preliminary plans. We will use pine wood with a dark glossy finish and black granite for the counter top. At HomePro I bought two Häfele pop-out rubbish bins that open automatically to be mounted under the sink. These things are quasi standard in Germany. Häfele got quite a few other neat fixtures for the kitchen cabinets, but unfortunately most of them are rather expensive. Here is the our kitchen budget plan:

Cabinetry: 115,000.- THB
Granite: 32,000.- THB
Double Sink: 5,000.- THB
Electrical Oven: 15,000.- THB
Gas Hob: 10,000.- THB
Cabinet Lighting: 3,000.- THB
Cabinett fittings: 10,000.- THB
Total: 190,000.-

That's a bit more than we initially planned. However, the kitchen is quite extensive with 8.50 m running counter space and a 3 m bar. It's sort of a U-shape (or perhaps better: bor-bai-mai shape) that is broken into two parts in the images.

Cheers, CMX
Attachments
kitchen-plan01.gif
Cabinetry for the kitchen (left side).
kitchen-plan02.gif
Cabinetry for the kitchen with bar (right side).
chiangmaiexpat

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:06 pm

Our house is almost ready for moving in. The water system was finished this week. Now there's only small stuff left to do. Yet, we still need to wait until the kitchen and bathrooms are 100% functional before moving. The former will probably take 2 weeks to pre-build the cabinets and another week for putting it into the house and fixing the counter top. Hopefully they will finish the other stuff in the meantime. We will build the frontage wall after we have moved in.

Cheers, CMX
Attachments
IMG_6583.JPG
The carbon filter for the well is being installed.
IMG_6584.JPG
The complete water system incl. submersible Franklin well pump, filter, storage tank, and Hitachi demand pump.
IMG_6585.JPG
This electricity pole costed 3000 THB to set up. From there, the main connection runs 15 m under ground.
IMG_6586.JPG
A large Toto sink, Paini water tap and colourful tiles in the children's bathroom.
IMG_6587.JPG
Marble counter top (Spanish Emperador), Karat sinks and Grohe water taps in the ensuite bathroom.
chiangmaiexpat

Postby thomas.fontaine » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:23 pm

Hi there. I have already seen a reply regarding electricity running underground that was posted few years ago. I would be interested to know how you are going to do that for your house: what kind of cable? What preparation (sand...)...?
thomas.fontaine

Postby jazzman » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:37 pm

Running a cable underground is standard practice. The solution is extremely simple. It involves using either copper or aluminium cable of the right thickness rated for the load for your small house, and running it through water resistant PVC conduit. No special preparation of the ground is necessary. I have done it myself.
You may get some free advice from one of the quqlified electricians if you posts your question here:
viewforum.php?f=18.
If not, if you can afford the small cost of a qualified electrician, he will know exactly what to do. In fact the cost of doing this is included in the global cost of building your house if your contractor already has a proper electrician.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:20 am

You need the PVC conduit that Jazzman mentioned and properly dimensioned cables suitable for outdoor laying. The key is to plan ahead, because you might have to run it under concrete and inside the house to the point where the consumer unit is located. You probably also need to know what type of main connection you are getting (amperage and number of phases).

In our case, the power connection comes in through (under) the kitchen door, which is only logical, because the kitchen contains the most powerful person in our house: my wife. :lol:

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby jazzman » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:19 pm

If they've already laid the concrete path round the house, you can still chisel a chase in it with a Bosch hammer and cement it over again. No great issue. You will probably only need 10 mm2 cable (two runs of course). Also the earth wire will have to come out of the consumer unit to the copper earth rod and should be of the same thickness.
jazzman

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:47 am

Electricity and water have been connected, which means the house is theoretically ready for moving in. We are still waiting for the kitchen and the phone connection/ADSL, since I need permanent Internet access for my work. In the meantime, we have put a 10 cm top soil layer on the land for the garden. The soil was 900 THB per truckload.

Cheers, CMX
Attachments
IMG_6675.JPG
IMG_6674.JPG
The beginnings of a wonderful garden...
chiangmaiexpat

Postby thaifly » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:03 pm

gidday C.N.X....its the thai fly from mae rim...just interested to know..how many sq metres is your garden in the pics..it appears to be a nice size...many thanks..its a lovely gidday to all its the thaifly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:49 am

The garden is roughly 650 sqm. A small city-owned irrigation canal runs along the SE/NE sides of the plot. It's currently open, but we would prefer to run it underground to reduce the mosquito population.

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:21 am

Currently, the front wall of the property is being brought up. It should be finished within 10 days. We will move by the end of this month. Unfortunately, there are a few more delays. :roll: The carpentry shop that makes the kitchen told us they won't be able to deliver within 4 weeks as originally promised. The manufacturing queue was longer than expected. We might get the base cabinets in a week or two. Oh well. Same game with the phone line. Initially, we were told it's no problem. 3 days and we would have a working phone, they said. Now the application was submitted more than a week ago and their officers had not even processed it. Typical TOT performance methinks. Luckily, my wife has some friends who have friends at TOT, you know how it works in Thailand, so we received our new phone number yesterday. Internet? Mañana! Apply now and be the lucky winner of a (probably crappy) ADSL connection from TOT in two month or so. Now I am really starting to worry, since I need broadband Internet for my work. I cannot afford the hour/day-long downtimes that TOT is known for. I certainly cannot afford to be without Internet for 2 months. So, I am looking at alternatives right now, such as a 3G mobile connection, satellite, or cable.

Cheers, CMX
Attachments
IMG_6690.JPG
Garden wall under construction.
IMG_6691.JPG
Garden wall under construction.
IMG_6692.JPG
Master bedroom, afternoon sun.
IMG_6693.JPG
Meditation room at the end of the hall.
chiangmaiexpat

Postby thomas.fontaine » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:26 pm

I must admit that your house looks beautiful. I actually like the white posts contrasting with the yellow facade. You just gave an idea here...
thomas.fontaine

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:49 am

Thank you Thomas. I am glad you like it. My family also likes the finished house, in fact they can't wait to move in, which gives me a sense of achievement. :D I am a bit reluctant to move, however, before I can get the Internet to work. Yesterday I talked to the friendly people at the TT&T main office; there's no way to get a TT&T/Maxnet connection for the time being. The next access point is 1km away and they are not installing additional network equipment unless they have demand for at least 20 lines. 3G is also questionable. It's unlikely that we have coverage in this part of the town. Although my pocket PC phone supports 3G, it doesn't work with the AIS service, because AIS uses the 900 MHz band instead of the standard 2100 MHz band. My last hope is CAT now, although my experience with this company in the past was terrible. And if that doesn't work, there's IPStar (gulp), or working in an Internet cafe for the next two months.

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby Rick B » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:37 am

I agree with Thomas, your house looks great, inside and out! Congratulations.

For what it's worth, I just got a phone line connected to my house by TOT and had internet installed with it. I was shocked at the speed of the internet. It's no different or slower that what I had in Bangkok. They claim 2Mbps and I haven't had any problems with loss of signal. Prior to that I was using a Hutch CDMA high speed internet modem (Huawei model EC325) which is basically like using a cell phone; it's a wireless signal to the computer. It was moderately fast, but no where as fast as what I have now. Of course, speed and availability is a function of where you are located.
Rick B

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story