Building A Family Home in Chiang Mai

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Building A Family Home in Chiang Mai

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Wed May 21, 2008 10:07 am

My wife and I have decided to build a new house for our family in Chiang Mai. We've been living in Chiang Mai for the last three years and we like it here. My wife is originally from Bangkok and I've been working in Bangkok for many years before moving to Chiang Mai. Two years ago we bought a piece of land near the peripheral road no. 121, approx. 10 minutes drive from the city. The land is located in a quiet residential zone near the end of a dead-end street. The surrounding properties are already built with detached single family houses. It's safe for our kids, very green, and with mountain view. Quite a few farangs seem to live in this neighbourhood; we already got to know some of them. The land is approx. 1000 sqm (250 sqw) - big enough for a nice garden. Shortly after the land was bought, we had it filled with soil to make it less prone to flooding.

Every building project begins with a plan, of course, so here is our plan.

-
Attachments
groundfloor.png
upperfloor.png
chiangmaiexpat

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Wed May 21, 2008 10:35 am

This is what the architect produced from my CAD drawings. It's a 4-bedroom/ 3-bathroom plan with a separate 2-car carport. The house has an extensive deck on the front and right side (that's were the garden and the mountains are). As you can see, it is a fairly conventional two-storey Thai style house. The floor plan is pretty solid, but the details of the facade still have to be worked out. I had previously drawn several more ambitious designs, with the rooms spread out in several connected units as in Bali style compounds, or surrounding a central raised platform as in the Thai style cluster house. However, we eventually scrapped these plans due to cost and because my wife wanted a single unit. We've had this plan quoted at 2.8 mil. We expect it to come in between 3 and 4 mil.

-
Attachments
elevation-front.png
elevation-right.png
chiangmaiexpat

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Wed May 21, 2008 10:47 am

These are the floor overview renderings that I generated from my drawings. The 3D-walkthrough feature has been very helpful in designing the house, as it conveys a sense of the actual space. I have virtually furnished the rooms to see what they will approximately look like when finished.

-
Attachments
groundfloor.jpg
upperfloor.jpg
chiangmaiexpat

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Fri May 23, 2008 9:23 am

This is the construction site. Luckily it is just 5 min drive from our current residence. Presently we live in a fairly nice but crowded Moo Baan. The short distance allows us to check the construction progress every day without too much hassle.

-
Attachments
IMG_0552.jpg
This is what the land looked like when we bought it. You can still see the sign saying "Land for sale".
IMG_0221.jpg
The same plot looking in north-east direction.
IMG_0555.jpg
Access road to the land. It ends back there.
chiangmaiexpat

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Fri May 23, 2008 9:31 am

This is what the site looked like earlier this week. The land has already been cleared and the labourers are starting to build their temporary accommodations. We will have to get water and electricity supply for the construction.

-
Attachments
IMG_4889.JPG
IMG_4890.JPG
chiangmaiexpat

Re: Building A Family Home in Chiang Mai

Postby thaifly » Sun May 25, 2008 1:58 pm

chiangmaiexpat wrote:My wife and I have decided to build a new house for our family in Chiang Mai. We've been living in Chiang Mai for the last three years and we like it here. My wife is originally from Bangkok and I've been working in Bangkok for many years before moving to Chiang Mai. Two years ago we bought a piece of land near the peripheral road no. 121, approx. 10 minutes drive from the city. The land is located in a quiet residential zone near the end of a dead-end street. The surrounding properties are already built with detached single family houses. It's safe for our kids, very green, and with mountain view. Quite a few farangs seem to live in this neighbourhood; we already got to know some of them. The land is approx. 1000 sqm (250 sqw) - big enough for a nice garden. Shortly after the land was bought, we had it filled with soil to make it less prone to flooding.

Every building project begins with a plan, of course, so here is our plan.

-
gidday chiangmai expat....its the thaifly frommae rim....road 121....is a hell of a long road....i suspect your peice of land is in the ...HANDONG DISTRICT..judgingthat u said u are presently living in A MOO BAN close by ...your plans..look very nice...and simple...but very effective...how many sq meters???...wish u all the luck u can get with with your project...and my what u can do with a computer thease days i drew my plans on a peice of paper... ITS A HOT AND THIRSTY GIDDAY TO ALL...its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Mon May 26, 2008 9:28 am

Thanks mate, I keep my fingers crossed that everything will go alright with building the house. We are located in Sansai. Total size of the house is 355 sqm, that is 213 sqm rooms, 108 sqm covered deck space, and 34 sqm carport. The plan is deliberately kept simple to get as much house as possible out of a given budget. Other goals were: -having ample outdoor space for outdoor living, -make optimum use of the site, -visually separate service area from living area, -provide enough storage room, build for the tropical climate. One of the bedrooms is going to be my library/office. I wanted to add a gym, a maid room and a music room, but these rooms were flattened by the budget hammer. :roll: Later perhaps.

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Mon May 26, 2008 1:23 pm

Progress is being made. After the temporary houses for the labourers were installed, the land was surveyed with a levelling instrument to determine the exact position of the columns. I made some last minute changes and shifted the whole house almost two metres to the left to maximise garden area on the other side. Then came the backhoe and made some neat holes in the ground for the footings. There will be 33 of them.
Attachments
IMG_4900.JPG
The outlines of the holes for the footings are marked with spray paint.
IMG_4907.JPG
The backhoe at work.
IMG_4897.JPG
Each hole is 1.70 - 1.80 metres deep.
Last edited by chiangmaiexpat on Wed May 28, 2008 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
chiangmaiexpat

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Wed May 28, 2008 8:54 am

Okay, so we got to the point where all house builders in Thailand begin: The "Sao Eek" (first column setting) ceremony. Since our sao eek looks very much like that of apetley and all the others, I am not going to post another picture of it. Suffice to say that the ceremony is basically a well-wishing event for the new house. The Thais believe that it is opportune to ask the former owners and deceased previous inhabitants of the land for permission to build. By the way, these are the same entities for which a ghost house will be placed later. In addition to the animistic part of the ritual, my wife also invited a Buddhist monk to the construction site (you can never be too thorough) and there will be some goodies thrown into the footings.
Attachments
IMG_4986.JPG
The site is prepared for pouring the footings. The rebar reinforcement is 12 mm thick, which is "4 hun" in Thai terms.
IMG_4914.JPG
The bent rebar for the footings. Also "sii hun".
IMG_4954.JPG
This piece of art contains oblations for the devas (semi-gods) of the four directions. It's a Buddhist custom, I suppose.
IMG_4997.JPG
This will go into the pouring. The marbles are there to form a bead that connects the present and past owners. I asked my wife whether the gems are real, which she affirmed. The I asked here whether they wouldn't look better in a vitrine rather than in a
chiangmaiexpat

Postby Nawty » Wed May 28, 2008 1:03 pm

Do you not need any pilings to any degree where you are ??
Nawty

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Wed May 28, 2008 5:30 pm

Nawty wrote:Do you not need any pilings to any degree where you are ??

Apparently, pilings are not necessary here. The engineer's specifications also don't show pilings. Coming to think about it, I have never seen a pile driver being used in Chiang Mai, at least not for single family homes. In our Moo Baan they've been building 70-80 new units since we moved in, none with piles. I suppose, it's different from Bangkok, where I often woke up to the sweet sound of the Diesel pile driver in the morning. Oh, how I miss it!

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby Nawty » Thu May 29, 2008 7:40 am

Yeah, depends on the soil and substructure.

In bangkok its a swamp, the thick black mud that comes out of the ground even just a meter or 2 down is amazing.

So good saving there for people in the right conditions.
Nawty

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Thu May 29, 2008 11:43 am

First change request came in yesterday. My wife discovered there's no maid room :o (...or rather she now thinks that we ought to have one). Okay, so let's expand the space behind the garage to accommodate a maid room with adjoining bathroom. Then she wants to move the kitchen door from the back wall to the side wall to minimise the distance between the carport and the kitchen. No problem. Let's trash my kitchen interior plan and move that door. Fortunately they didn't set the columns for the garage structure yet.

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Fri May 30, 2008 10:18 am

The footings for the house were poured. Three different sizes have been used: 1.50 m square for 20 tons load, 1.20 m square for 13 tons load and 0.80 m square for 6 tons load.
Attachments
IMG_4997.JPG
The footings are ready for the pour.
IMG_4990.JPG
Then came a couple of those things.
IMG_4989.JPG
This neat piece of equipment transports the concrete up to 8m away from the lorry.
IMG_4995.JPG
The result.
chiangmaiexpat

Postby Nawty » Fri May 30, 2008 5:09 pm

Did that extension device cost you any extra ?

How much is your cpac ?

We wanted one of those extensions or similar in a pour a few months back and the company we used said they did not have them but we could get a bucket and hose system for extra, think they wanted 15k or something silly for it.
Nawty

Next

Return to Your Building Story