Building a new home with pool and sauna in Phonjalong, Korat

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building a new home with pool and sauna in Phonjalong, Korat

Postby gadgetman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:36 am

jazzman wrote:Looks to me as if you only have one layer of rebar on the floor. But it may be the photo. How many ground beams did you put in?

Hi Jazzman,

The pool is built on very established and hard packed land (the level was raised above the adjacent rice paddies over 14 years ago). The sub-base of the pool (total slab size 12mx8M) is a 15cm concrete slab re-inforced with 3.8mm x20cmx20cm wire mesh poured onto a compacted and sand covered flat area with a 30cmx15cm perimeter ring beam which is below the surface level, and reinforced with 4 runs of 12mm rebar. The sub base is needed to establish a level surface on which to construct the outer blockwork form for the pool, constructed from 10cm thick 40cmx20cm concrete blocks, backfilled with concrete and every one tied together with 6mm steel.
Levelled compacted sand ready for concrete sub base pour for pool.jpg
Land ready for cpac sub base pour

In addition, we cast another ring beam 20cm x10cm, reinforced with 2 runs of 12mm rebar after laying the 4th row of blocks, and then topped this with another 3 rows to get the coorect pool height. This was to ensure the outer wall could support the later pouring of the 20cm thick concrete pool walls without bowing or cracking.
Making a steel beam for pool wall befor laying final 2 rows of blocks.jpg
Casting the upper wall beam

After the blockwork was completed, the pool steel re-inforcement was laid in. The floor is a single layer of 12mm rebar laid every 15cm in both directions and supported so that it sits in the middle of the later 20cm thick 280steng, waterproof cpac concrete that was poured in. The total floor thickness is therefore 35cm of 280 steng cpac concrete.

The walls are the same single row of 12mm rebar with the top row being 16mm rebar, spaced 15cm apart, except for the waterfall wall which has 2 rows of 12mm rebar for additional strength, and a 25cm thick concrete wall.
Laying 1.5m concrete planks for walkway around pool.jpg
Pool blockwork completed. Laying on 1.5m concrete walkway planks for pool
Laying 1.5m concrete planks for walkway around pool.jpg
Pool blockwork completed. Laying on 1.5m concrete walkway planks for pool
Laying in the pool 12mm rebar.jpg
Laying in the 12mm rebar
Pool rebar all finished with rubber waterstop seal fitted and ready for concrete base pour.jpg
Steelwork finished and ready fo 20cm concrete base pour
CPAC 2 trucks ready to pour pool base.jpg
Cpac trucks ready for base pour with 280steng WP concrete

This construction method is very strong, has been used in the construction of hundreds of pools in Phuket, and was also approved by our local architect and structural engineer, after he originally viewed my proposed construction drawings.

Hope some of these photo's help clarify more!
Attachments
Laying the block formwork for the outer pool walls.jpg
Laying the outer block formwork for pool
gadgetman

Re: Building a new home with pool and sauna in Phonjalong, Korat

Postby gadgetman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:58 am

Some more photos of the pool build, carried on from previous post!
Smoothing off 20 cm thick concrete pool base.jpg
Finishing the 20cm thick pool floor
Poll steel shuttered and ready for concrete wall pour.jpg
Pool steel shuttering in place for 20cm thick 280steng WP cpac pour
Pool concrete shell complete ready for plastering square.jpg
Concrete shell finished ready for plastering square and tiling
Flanged 2 in x 13.5mm PVC pipe fitted into pool wall for water returns.jpg
All water returns and drains for pool are flanged where they pass through the walls to ensure no water wicking past, and they are 13.5mm thick PVC, as is all the 2" pool PVC pipework
Pool under covers being tiled.jpg
pool covered for plastering and tiling - essential to keep heat down for Weber tile adhesives and rain off!
Finished house view from bedroom wing across terrace to sauna, kitchen and toilet-showers.jpg
Finished pool looking towards our sauna and restaraunt in garden
Back wall of  pool showing Hurlcon pool pump and Astral sand filter, and chlorinator cell.jpg
Under house floor, showing back wall of pool with Hurlcon 1.5hp pump, sand filter, chlorinator, Electrics box and pipework for pool returns, vacuum point and valves
gadgetman

Re: Building a new home with pool and sauna in Phonjalong, K

Postby Doc » Mon May 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Hi Gadgetman,
Cool House Mate, I love it!!!! Where did you get the Sauna Boiler from?? I am an Ozzie living in Bangtao, Phuket, my Thai Wife and I want to open a Beauty Salon/Sauna/Art Finger Nail/ Massage business here and have a lease agreement worked out but I cannot find anyone who knows where to get a Steam Sauna Boiler, I will have to use Gas but that is not a problem any help would be appreciated.
I have almost 5 Rai of raised land in Khun Han, Si Sa Ket, it has never been a Rice Field and the land is at the end of the Village away from the crowds, it has two Dams fed by ground water one dam 768m2 currently holding 1.2 million liters and still the driest time of the year, the other 252m2 and full of Fish. Both will be stocked next time I return as I love fishing and fresh fish.
I had an idea of a raised house so the car, Laundry, storage and spare accomodation can go under. Your idea of a house looks perfect to me and would be a little cheaper than the over the top design I was working on, and a garage or carport would be easier. Have you got an approximate on your total outlay
regards
Barry
Doc

Postby otis-a » Wed May 11, 2011 11:01 am

boilers
stopped at fabricator between chaing rai and mai sai
wood fired abt 24x48 inches seems regular item for various use including distillation steam source for small columns or pots
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:30 pm

Re the pool ? Although there is no question that it is well built and if cost is not a problem ,great.! But I gathered from reading your post that you wanted a fairly low cost project, hence going for the cheaper roof, All very understandable, but was that the best option with the pool ? there seems to be a tremendous amount of thickness to all the concrete, i.e. double floor slabs, thick block concrete filled walls, then reinforced concrete walls 200m.m. thick. Trust me I am Not nit picking, I intend building a small pool ( 3.5.mt wide x 6 mt long in the middle of my U shaped house near Khon Kaen, and I want to build it myself when the time comes. Only having had one built here in Oz where they used the usual Shot Crete method, I want it to be structurally sound obviously, but not any more than necessary. It will only be about 1.5mt deep with .600m.m. above the ground on the 3 sides facing the house and about 1.5mt at the end. Are there any comments from members or your self on min requirements. ? The common procedure seems to have a wall of the thin blocks for the outer formwork , and steel shutters well braced for the inner. Plus of course the rubber gasket that seems to be available around everywhere. I would have thought that 150m.m. concrete all round with the steel in the right place would be sufficient.
Mike Judd

Postby dozer » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:17 pm

All water returns and drains for pool are flanged where they pass through the walls to ensure no water wicking past, and they are 13.5mm thick PVC, as is all the 2" pool PVC pipework
Just a note on PVC piping ....the 13.5 refers to a pressure rating on the PVC not an actual thickness. Its done this way so that from the smallest diameter to the largest diameter the pressure rating is consistent, if it were a thickness it would be thinner on the smaller diameter piping and thicker on the thicker diameter piping.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby oldmajor » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:26 pm

[quote="gadgetman
Incidentally, if any one is interested, I spent a lot of time developing a spreadsheet to calculate a building project cost. It is not complicated to use and take it for what it is, but if you would like a copy (Free, thaifly!) let me know.

I will be bulilding on Korat at the end of next year all being well. I would be very interested in your spreadsheet if it is still available.
oldmajor

Previous

Return to Your Building Story