New House Construction in Sam Chuk, Suphanburi

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

New House Construction in Sam Chuk, Suphanburi

Postby Rick B » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:51 pm

My wife and I are building our retirement home in Sam Chuk, Suphanburi. I've put some progress photos in an album in the CTH Gallery today and will update the album as more progress is made. We started our construction in mid-November 2007 and plan (hope) to complete in June 2008. The house is a two-storey design with a 2-car detached garage and storage room located next to the house. We have a 2 rai plot of land. The total area of the house will be 410 sq. m. including an open air side deck (24 sq. m.) and the garage. We are using a labor only construction approach where we are buying all of the material. So far, we have had very minor problems and we are thrilled with the builder's performance to date. We feel very fortunate to have found a builder who is trustworthy and conscientious. This is the first house he is building for a farang, so he's spent the first two months getting used to me. We visited several houses that he had completed before we selected him and were very impressed with the quality of the work. Also, we talked to the owners and they all spoke very highly of this builder. He also lives in the Sam Chuk area, so there is little concern that he won't be around if a problem should develop.

We plan to build a wall around the property and a swimming pool, if we can afford it after the house and wall is completed. We're already being impacted by escalating prices for steel and cement. Thankfully, we've bought all of the rebar and most of the cement we'll need for the house.

I'll post more pictures as we get into the roof construction this month.
Rick B

Postby apetley » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:12 am

Some great picks Rick, hope your build keeps on track for you.
Yes the prices have gone up crazy just lately. Poor old uncle the builder keeps complaining about it. We have a total cost build agreement with him but who knows if he should happen to go over budget!
Keep posting the pics they are very interesting, Andy.
apetley

Re: New House Construction in Sam Chuk, Suphanburi

Postby thomas.fontaine » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:05 pm

Hi Rick B, could you tell me how many CPAC tiles per meter square you have for your roof?
thomas.fontaine

Postby dozer » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:05 pm

Here is a link to the gallery for this album:
http://coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/thumbnails.php?album=55

Neat example of use of piles in a two story. Thx for posting the pics.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby jazzman » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:33 pm

thomas.fontaine wrote:Hi Rick B, could you tell me how many CPAC tiles per meter square you have for your roof?

The CPAC Monier brochure explains exactly how to calculate the number of tiles. There is also a posting on this site from Somdet with a link to the CPAC on-line roof and tile calculator. Here is the link to the posting: http://coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=40

Anything else you need to know about roofing is also extensively covered on that forum.
jazzman

Postby tung » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:05 pm

Hi Rick

How are you getting on with your build?

400 sq M home is nice and big. What is the anticipated cost of this build for a 2 storey?

I will hope to contribute more soon to this forum as I am in the planning stage of building a 200 Sq M 2 storey in Hua Hin and need to get an understanding how a house is built as this is not my field.

Regards

Tung
tung

Postby Rick B » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:02 am

Hi Tung: Sorry I haven't replied sooner. Buy while I'm in Sam Chuk at the building site, I don't have internet access. So I only see the new posts when I come back to Bangkok for a night or two. Anyway, in reply to your question, the construction is going well. We just completed the upper roof installation and the interior and exterior walls on the second floor. I will post some pictures in a week or two when I have more time. The overall budget for the house construction is 3.6 million baht and I'm happy to say that we are slightly under budget now with about 50% complete on the construction. My builder's price is 1.2 million, but his price includes all construction consumables, new wood for the concrete forms, and all construction labor, of course. He also provides all of his own tools and equipment (mixer, concrete vibrator, wheelbarrows, cutters, etc.). So his price may appear initially to be on the high side, but I don't think it is for what he is providing. I hope that answers your questions. Look for more pictures soon.
Rick B

Postby Rick B » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:02 am

Hi Tung: Sorry I haven't replied sooner. Buy while I'm in Sam Chuk at the building site, I don't have internet access. So I only see the new posts when I come back to Bangkok for a night or two. Anyway, in reply to your question, the construction is going well. We just completed the upper roof installation and the interior and exterior walls on the second floor. I will post some pictures in a week or two when I have more time. The overall budget for the house construction is 3.6 million baht and I'm happy to say that we are slightly under budget now with about 50% complete on the construction. My builder's price is 1.2 million, but his price includes all construction consumables, new wood for the concrete forms, and all construction labor, of course. He also provides all of his own tools and equipment (mixer, concrete vibrator, wheelbarrows, cutters, etc.). So his price may appear initially to be on the high side, but I don't think it is for what he is providing. I hope that answers your questions. Look for more pictures soon.
Rick B

Postby Rick B » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:08 pm

I've added a few more pictures showing the progress of our house construction. The new pictures show the second floor columns, the upper roof steel and tile construction, exterior and interior block work and window/door frames being installed. Progress is slower than I had hoped for but the cost is slightly under budget. My builder is having trouble keeping workers on site. They're either off cutting their rice fields or harvesting their mangos. Very few seem to think home construction is their primary job!!!
Rick B

Postby tung » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:51 pm

Hi Rick

Your place is coming along nicely and I'm learning quite a bit.

Couple of questions:

What is ProBlock and do you have a link to a website?

The concrete floor slabs that were laid; do they come in different sizes, are they flush linked or do they have some sort of tongue/groove and what do you need to do to fill odd shapes or shortage in width etc?

Cheers

Tung
tung

Q

Postby Rick B » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:30 pm

Tung: In answer to your questions, ProBlock is an alternative to Q-Con and SuperBlock sold by HomeMart. It is 14 baht/bock list price and each block is 50x20x7cm. See my recent post under "Cooling Systems", topic entitled "Two Walls Vs Q-Con Blocks."

Regarding the concrete floor slabs, the ones I bought came in a standard width of 35cm and a standard thickness of 5cms. They can be ordered to any length you want to the nearest 5cms. Typically, they are not longer than 4 meters, but I did use some that were 4.5m and they cost a little more due to the additional rebar put inside the slabs. Each slab is flush linked, no T&G. Odd spaces or openings in the width are filled with normal concrete, using wooden forms underneath. After all of the slabs are laid in place and the openings have wooden forms installed, an additional 5cms of concrete is typically poured over the slabs. In my opinion, the main advantage to floor slabs is that they allow a concrete floor to be poured much quicker than one poured using wooden formwork. I don't believe there is any structural benefit to using floor slabs, although I am not a civil engineer and can't make that claim with any credibility.

Thanks for your comments about my house and I hope the above answers your questions.
Rick B

Postby thaifly » Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:40 am

gidday ....rick b...its the thaifly from mae rim.......have just check out your update of pics...my you are certainly in the home straight... my how time slips away...and would have to say ....everything i see ...is OUTSTANDING .. loved the staircase..both kitchens are superb....and the whole project..is A BO DEREK........its a WELL DONE GIDDAY TO ALL.....its the thaifly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby pklongball » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:26 am

rick b,

I just went over the complete gallery of pics. Your build is one fine job. Your builder appears to have done a marvelous job. I am impressed with the progress from day to day or week to week and your photos rarely show anyone working. How did that happen?

The builder must be a taskmaster. I have never seen a building project from beginning to almost end where the building site has been kept so clean and neat. The pics of the kitchen build show no massive amounts of tools and building debris all over the place. The boss must on his team to keep things cleaned up at all times. This is a concept that is not found on too many sites. It shows the attention to detail this builder must have.

Great job!

I am curious about one thing though. You're pics concentrate pretty much on the major parts of the build but I do not see any photos showing how you did the electrics, water and sewer and other important things that make the house complete!

Can you elaborate on this aspect of the build?
The complete picture story of our house build can be found here--My Gallery!
pklongball

Postby Rick B » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:55 pm

Thanks for the possitive comments on my new house. You're all very kind.

Sorry I didn't include any pictures of the electics, water supply and DWV (drain, waste, vent) piping and some other areas of the build. Electrics were pretty basic, except we didn't use the Thai approach of running the cable outside the rendering. We endlosed all of our cabling either in the wall or above the ceilings, and used PVC conduit. Our electric supply is 3 phase, 15 amp each. We have the capability of running 7 A/C units and 4 water heaters, so we opted for the 3 phase approach. We also have a load center with 20 individual breakers, other than the main. The only thing I didn't like about this approach was the cost of the meter supplied by the electric company, approximately 16,000 baht.

Water supply comes from the street to a 2,000 liter holding tank. The house pump draws suction from this storage tank. So far, I've never drained the tank dry. A float valve inside the tank keeps the tank automatically full at all times. My supply piping is 3/4" throughout the house and drops down to 1/2" as it enters each bathroom or kitchen. Sink, shower and bath drains are all 2" and toilets are all 4", which I believe is pretty standard. I have five bathrooms throughout the house. Three bathroom toilets feed one 1,600 liter septic tank and the other two bathrooms feed a second 1,600 liter septic tank. Each septic tank has an overflow into a four-concrete ring deep drain. The two kitchen sinks feed into one 4-ring drain and I have four other 4-ring drains in series to handle the drainage from all of the bathroom sinks, showers and bathtubs. This may be a little overkill, but the concrete ring drains were a cheap way to go. My neighborhood doesn't have a convenient sewer drain line in front of my house. So I had to go the route of draining the water on my own land.

I hope this adds a little more info, pklongball, on these parts of the construction. If you have additional questions, I'd be happy to respond to them specifically. Also, I plan to post a few more photos in the very near future, when I have some time to upload them. My internet connection is not the fastest and it takes a little while for me to load a lot of pictures.

Also, thanks for your possitive comments about the cleanliness of the jobsite. I'm not sure who should get the credit for that, my builder or me. Perhaps we should both share in the credit. I just retired from working as a Project Director for a major US construction company. The projects I managed were typically $500 million to $1 billion power generation plants around the world. The company always stressed safety with its craft workers and cleanliness of the jobsite was a major contributer to a safer worksite. So, when I observed my builder and his crew, we frequently discussed cleanliness of the jobsite. I even purchased brooms for him to use. All of his workers also live in the area. So he had no one sleeping on site at night; everyone went home at the end of the day (we did hire a "security man" to sleep on site to watch my materials). This also led to the builder taking most of his tools home at night. This also contributed to keeping the site clean. The builder usually had 3 women working on his crew and they assisted the men with their work and cleaned up continually after them.
Rick B

Postby tung » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:33 pm

Hi Rick.

The floor of your crawl space is it just plain earth? Can you enter this area and how high is it?

Did you put in a pest control system?
tung

Next

Return to Your Building Story