Finding & Building a Residence for Mr & Mrs MTSINTER

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

MTSINTERNATIONAL House

Postby mtsinternational » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:09 am

The other exterior doors and interior doors are all 80 x 200 cm and will have an A or A/B finish as we specify.

The teak door for my office will be paned with glass and we have not yet picked that door out. Additionally, I have French doors and side windows planned for the exit to the patio where the pool will be located so they have not been identified here either. I’ve since decided to go with PVC patio doors.

I’m getting one heck of an education here though and I’m sure it will continue into the construction process and thereafter.

With progress on the house planning process well on it’s way, we decided to focus our attention on the swimming pool. If not for anything else, we decided on having on overflow pool system, set the dimensions for the swimming pool set at 5 x 9 meters with a ¾ circle spa at one end, 3 meter wide steps leading into the pool from one of the long sides, and a seating area along submerged 50cm under the water line on the same wall that the steps are on. Equipment type and manufacturer was a major concern and it is with some assistance and advisement from an U.S. expert now residing in Phuket that I was able to decide on top notch quality equipment from the USA. Again, I’m getting a lesson, this time as it relates to swimming pool equipment and maintenance. Understanding that I still wanted the option to make a few adjustments, I discussed the plan with the potential pool contractor. Here are the drawings for the pool:
Attachments
swimming pool diag (Medium) (Large) (Medium).jpg
mtsinternational

MTSINTERNATIONAL House

Postby mtsinternational » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:14 am

The teak door for my office will be paned with glass and we have not yet picked that door out. Additionally, I have French doors and side windows planned for the exit to the patio where the pool will be located so they have not been identified here either. I’ve since decided to go with PVC patio doors.

I’m getting one heck of an education here though and I’m sure it will continue into the construction process and thereafter.

With progress on the house planning process well on it’s way, we decided to focus our attention on the swimming pool. If not for anything else, we decided on having on overflow pool system, set the dimensions for the swimming pool set at 5 x 9 meters with a ¾ circle spa at one end, 3 meter wide steps leading into the pool from one of the long sides, and a seating area along submerged 50cm under the water line on the same wall that the steps are on. Equipment type and manufacturer was a major concern and it is with some assistance and advisement from an U.S. expert now residing in Phuket that I was able to decide on top notch quality equipment from the USA. Again, I’m getting a lesson, this time as it relates to swimming pool equipment and maintenance. Understanding that I still wanted the option to make a few adjustments, I discussed the plan with the potential pool contractor.

So, from October 2007 until early January 2008, we have continuously reviewed the plans and looked at housing supply, appliance, fixture, and paint brochures. We made some minor adjustments and selections of appliances and paint colors we wanted, and have consulted with our project manager, contractor, pool contractor and interested professionals on this project. On January 12th, 2008, we caught our plane for a trip to Thailand in mid January had the ground breaking for construction of the house. 18 January 2008 to be specific. Things proceeded nicely up to this point and it was through the helpful suggestions from professional’s experienced in this matter and residing in Thailand that I have to be grateful. Thanks.
mtsinternational

MTSINTERNATIONAL House

Postby mtsinternational » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:26 am

January 2008

“Ground Breaking” for the future residence of MTSINTERNATIONAL and wife was set for the 18th of January 2008.

Since our last visit to Thailand in October 2007 when we addressed the final changes to the house drawings and the time line for the house construction, we stayed in contact with the contractor and continued on with our planning process. We had been advised by our contractor that in preparation for the construction, he had arranged for any and all building permits, made the temporary electric hook ups and had the meter installed, made the temporary water hook up, and finished the construction of temporary housing for his workers. He sent me some pictures of efforts in advance of our planned mid January arrival in Thailand. All efforts had been coordinated and all was on track.

We arrived in Bangkok from the States on the 13 January and for 2 days took care of some banking and family business before heading to Ban Chang where our house was to be built. We contacted our trusted contractor upon arrival and headed out to the land/house construction site. To my pleasant amazement, the contractor had initiated all the necessary preliminary efforts to begin construction. He had already rented a back hoe and had no less than 28 holes of approximately 1 meter square and 1.75 meters deep dug. The contractor had an assortment of rebar, cement, stone, sand, concrete mixer, cinder blocks, super blocks, and steel already on site and his workers were all proceeding with their assigned duties. A real professional operation. The contractor took me around and introduced me to the engineer, the site supervisor, and the rest of the workers. Oh yea, the beginning of a great project.

We discussed the “ground breaking” ceremony arrangements and I was again pleasantly surprised that he had followed through with my previous request and had already made all the arrangements for the ceremony. Yes sir, arrangements for the spiritual person to oversee the ceremony, food, and all the other things required for the ceremony had been arranged for. I was advised that the ceremony would begin promptly at 0900 on the 18 January as that was the most auspicious date, based on the birth dates of myself and wife and what ever other considerations were included. The cost for this ceremony was 6,000 baht. I did not really know what to expect but what I was to find out was that the ceremony was very well planned, organized, and conducted. I was a fantastic ceremony. Wife and I, lead by the spiritual person offered prayers, food, flowers, incense, and gold colored coins. We tied 9 different pieces of wood (including sugar cane, banana, and teak), colored ribbons and other things to 2 different rebar columns that were to be raised. We spread coins and flowers along with some other gold type cards into the 2 holes where the 2 “special” rebar columns were to be raised and assisted by the workers, raised the 2 “special” rebar columns into the holes that were framed with cinder block and had stone placed on the bottom and then poured concrete at the base where the columns had be set on stone inside the cinder block frame. The whole ceremony, took about an hour and was impressive as well as being very enjoyable to participate in. Here are some pictures of the ground breaking ceremony:
Attachments
Ground Breaking Ceremony10, 18 Jan 2008 (19) (Medium).JPG
Ground Breaking Ceremony10, 18 Jan 2008 (15) (Medium).JPG
Ground Breaking Ceremony10, 18 Jan 2008 (11) (Medium).JPG
Ground Breaking Ceremony10, 18 Jan 2008 (9) (Medium).JPG
Ground Breaking Ceremony10, 18 Jan 2008 (1) (Medium).JPG
Ground Breaking Ceremony10, 18 Jan 2008 (1) (Medium).JPG
Ground Breaking Ceremony1, 18 Jan 2008 (Medium) (Medium).JPG
mtsinternational

MTSINTERNATIONAL House

Postby mtsinternational » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:27 am

Back to commenting on the contractors efforts, I’d have to say that he is professional in every manner. His construction practices seem to be in line with what I know to be good and parallel with recommendations made by others I know in the construction industry. Anyway, after the ground breaking ceremony and the following days through 24 January 2008, progress was made with building the cinder block framing and placement of crushed stone in the bottom of each hole where the columns were to be, construction of the rebar columns was completed and were placed in the pre dug holes and concreted in place, wood forms for placement around the rebar the were made, and the dirt was replaced and compacted.

So, that is where we currently stand. Periodic progress updates to be provided.
mtsinternational

MTSINTERNATIONAL House

Postby mtsinternational » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:38 am

Items being contemplated now include: roof ventilation, termite control system, type of septic, water purification system, and so many other items. Lots of fun.
mtsinternational

MTSINTERNATIONAL House

Postby mtsinternational » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:14 am

18 February 2008

Progress with setting the foundation and setting the columns and the preformed/set concreat floor continue. here are a few pictures of the progress made to date.
Attachments
CPAC Pouring the Footers for the Walls1 (Medium).jpg
CPAC Pouring the Footers for the Wall (Medium).jpg
Columns4 (Medium).jpg
Columns2 (Medium).jpg
Footer Forms and Columns8 (Medium).jpg
Footer Forms and Columns4 (Medium).jpg
Column Stake Out1.jpg
mtsinternational

MTSINTERNATIONAL House

Postby mtsinternational » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:17 am

and some more progress update pics...
Attachments
Floor Slabs13 (Medium).jpg
Floor Slabs6 (Medium).jpg
Floor Slabs5 (Medium).jpg
mtsinternational

MTSINTERNATIONAL House

Postby mtsinternational » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:18 am

Both the house and the swimming pool contractor continue to make progress. The house contractor has completed placement of the prefab concrete floor slabs, place 10 cm of concrete onto of the floor slabs and has started laying the super block for the walls of the house. Note that the whole of the exterior perimeter wall will be double super block in width with approximately 3.8cm air space between the 2 blocks. This air pocket will create insulation for both temperature and sound as well as provide streength. The contractor is paying close attention to where the windows will be placed and so far, so good.

The swimming pool contractor has just begun the excavation for the 5x9 meter pool. The pool has a spa and will have 4 or 5 steps 3 meters in width that lead down into the pool. You can see from some of the following pictures where the pool will be located to the West of the house and patio.
Attachments
Patio & Pool Construction (Medium).jpg
Office Wall & Pool Construction (Medium).jpg
West side of house & Pool (Medium).JPG
Walls, West side of house3 (Medium).JPG
Walls, front of house2 (Medium).JPG
Walls, front of house1 (Medium) (Medium).JPG
Walls front of house (Medium).JPG
mtsinternational

Postby jazzman » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:24 am

Your pool design looks quite nice although there is the question why the gutter does not go all the way round which it should.

Hope you found a reasonable pool contractor - I was never able to get a sensible quote from anyone down your way. If your not paying more than 900,000 you will have got a reasonable deal. Check out how much he is making on the individual items like pumps, filters, underwater lights, and other PVC fittings, plus a kit of pool maintenance equipment, which should not come to more than 70,000 baht for a pool this size. ALL pool constructors tend to over-engineer the technical equipment in order to make more profit on it, and some pool firms are maing 300% on the salt-water chlorinators, which are a must on a pool this size if you don't want to be spending up to 2,000 baht per month on chemicals.

Three, 100W lights will not be enough.
jazzman

Postby mtsinternational » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:42 pm

jazzman wrote:Your pool design looks quite nice although there is the question why the gutter does not go all the way round which it should.

Hope you found a reasonable pool contractor - I was never able to get a sensible quote from anyone down your way. If your not paying more than 900,000 you will have got a reasonable deal. Check out how much he is making on the individual items like pumps, filters, underwater lights, and other PVC fittings, plus a kit of pool maintenance equipment, which should not come to more than 70,000 baht for a pool this size. ALL pool constructors tend to over-engineer the technical equipment in order to make more profit on it, and some pool firms are maing 300% on the salt-water chlorinators, which are a must on a pool this size if you don't want to be spending up to 2,000 baht per month on chemicals.

Three, 100W lights will not be enough.

Khun Jazz, Thanks much for your advisement. As it relates to the pool contractor, I've seen work that they have completed as well as work that they had in progress and talked to the "Farlong" individuals who hired them. In every case, the responses about the contractor's ability, skill, timeliness of performance, and quality of work were favorable. So, I have a high degree of confidence in the fact that they will build me a good pool.

Overflow on 3 sides and 2 skimmers on the forth side. I've seen this before, will provide improved 2 method design for clearling the surface crud, and was something that I had seen previously that attracted me to it. This concept will also fit into my patio landscape well in that the end where the skimmers will be is slightly higher than the other 3 sides of the pool.

Price to include all equipment (Hayward Star Clear filter and Starite pump), except the salt water chlorination system, with 4"x4" Muifah tiles, spa & spa set, 4 steps that lead into but are outside the 5x9 meter perimeter of the pool, and the standard assortment of pool maint equip for 650,000 baht. The salt water chlorinator with installation was indicated at a price between 57 and 65K baht. The contractor apparently has a large contract for community pool in Pattaya area and because the contractor will be purchasing several salt water chlorinators at a quantity price, I would be able to be included in the price of that quantity buy.

The choice of pool equipment type was my own and told the contractor what brand I wanted so that wqas a done deal.

So, what is your recommendation about the lights (quantity and location). I went with 3 lights at the recommendation of a US side pool expert. I'd welcome to hear what you have to offer as advisement.

Again, thanks for your interest and comments.
mtsinternational

Postby jazzman » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:41 pm

Hi MTS,

I am very, very impressed, but you may nevertheless want to check out the following:

Although you have seen such a system, to construct a pool using an overflow gutter AND skimmers is unusual, as the overflow system is so much more technically superior - it dispenses completely with the need for skimmers, whichever way the prevailing breeze might be blowing. I have never seen or heard of such a design in either the UK, Germany, France, Austria, Switzerland, Spain, Italy or Australia, in 37 years knowledge of pool technology.
The gutter needs very careful construction as its edge must be perfectly level all round and the floor should have a 1% gradient. Gutters can be finished off with a PVC or ABS grating which comes in various widths, is ridiculously overpriced at 650 - 1,000 baht per metre, and discolours and goes brittle from UV radiation and looks ugly after just two years or so. A new trend with domestic pools is to fill the gutter with cheaper, decorative pebbles, but care must be taken not to restrict the flow (there are one or two tricks to work around this).

1. Assuming that yours is a genuine balance-tank system, which it should be of course if you have an overflow gutter, you will have a concrete underground tank somewhere which should contain about 7,500 litres, and have a volume large enough to absorb the displacement of another surge of 1,500 litres from bathers in the pool, plus another 2,500 litres whch could fall on the surface of a 50 m2 pool during a heavy tropical rain. This is a large tank and would need to be at least about 3 x 3 x 2.5 m or equivalent dimensions.

2. Assuming the balance-tank (sometimes called a surge-tank) includes an automatic top-up system, which it should have, preferably,

3. Assuming, to prevent undesirable influence on the ph, the tank has either extremely well applied, very smooth, waterproof rendering on its walls and floor or is tiled, and has been correctly constructed using waterstop,

4. Assuming that your price includes the expensive Muifa tiles which cost 650 baht for a pack of 90, which when laid with a 5mm grout, will cover 1 m2, and that the contractor's price includes the very expensive, special tile adhesive to fix them, and the extremely expensive grouting needed for them (around 200 baht / m2),

5. Assuming that your spa jets are fed by a separate spa pump and blower,

6. Assuming that your Hayward filter and your Starite pump ( both excellent brands, and I admire your choice) are correctly matched and when combined, deliver the correct flow-rate to filter the entire contents of the pool, spa, and balance tank in a minimum of six hours,

7. Assuming that, for optiimal filtration, you will be filling the filter with a hi-tech filter medium rather than standard pool filter silica-sand,

8. Assuming the plumbing is carried out with 2", 13.5 density PVC piping throughout, glued with special high performanc PVC cement, and that you have TWO interconnected main-drains with built-in hydrostatic valves, and that the accessories such as foot-valves, check-valves, and ball-valves are of industrial strength and quality,

9. Assuming that the cost of the sandwash decking around the pool is included in the price,

THEN YOU HAVE YOURSELF A TRULY EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD DEAL.

I have seen many, many quotes for smaller, less complex, and less luxurious concrete pools of this size and basic design, without spa, of 1.2 million baht - that's why I suggested you would still have done well at 900 K. For your price, all you often get is a cheap, quick build, PVC liner pool, with a non-plumbed, all-in-one filter unit that hangs over the side into the water and only effectively circulates 1/3 of the water at the best of times.

I would therefore suggest you reccommend and post the name of the contractor on the swimming pool forum for all to see, as I only know of one single pool firm in the country that can come anywhere near these prices. This is information that we are all craving to get. Here is the link to this highly informative forum:

A state-of-the-art saltwater chlorinator from a leading Australian pool equipment company, which includes a programmable, computer controlled, complete pool management system for this pool, would cost about 37,000 baht including supplier's profit and VAT. It takes less than one hour to install and set up and comes with a comprehensive; easy to understand, English language manual. From Pattaya to Rayong, the installation cost should not be more than 2,000 baht, but it's so easy, you could do it yourself. You will need about 300 - 400 Kg of 99% natrium chloride (refined sea salt) to start up, and add 50 Kg every 3 - 6 months according to the dilution caused by topping up with water or rainfall. Beware of the pool firms in Pattaya that are currently charging 500 baht per bag. There are pool shops in Pattaya that will sell it for 250 baht per bag. The factory price is 125 baht. A chlorinator will save you up to 90% of your future maintenance costs and apart from occasionally balancing the ph with either soda ash or hydrochloric acid, you will not need any additional chemicals. If for any reason your water goes cloudy, which is rare, it is a good idea to have a bottle of Cleartrine handy. This will very quickly bring the water back to sparkling clear.

Lighting: Unless you have seen a pool this size lit by three, 100W, 12V lights, and were satisfied with the level of illumination, four lights would certainly be a better choice. The best location would probably be two lights in the long wall. Lights come in a vast range of materials, types, quality and price. Some are easy to install after the walls have been constructed and tiled, others need some labour intensive preparation in the early stages of the pool construction. Cheaper lights are notorious for failing early on in their lifetime (they leak and get filled with water, or the bulbs overheat and blow out), and replacement bulbs are very expensive. It is not particularly easy to replace bulbs, particularly in the deep end where you will actually be treading water while you do this. Ensure that any metal parts, bolts and screws, are of high quality stainless steel.
Low voltage needs thick wire - keep the cable runs from the lights to the transformers as short as possible to avoid more loss of lumens through resistance in the wire.

A new kind of underwater light has just reached the Thai market. They work on the principle of a cluster of LEDs. They are small and compact and look very smart. It is not possible to change the bulbs, but they should last a lifetime. Fairly expensive from around 6,000 baht . I have not seen any in use yet.
jazzman

Postby mtsinternational » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:50 pm

jazzman wrote:Hi MTS,

I am very, very impressed, but you may nevertheless want to check out the following:

Although you have seen such a system, to construct a pool using an overflow gutter AND skimmers is unusual, as the overflow system is so much more technically superior - it dispenses completely with the need for skimmers, whichever way the prevailing breeze might be blowing. I have never seen or heard of such a design in either the UK, Germany, France, Austria, Switzerland, Spain, Italy or Australia, in 37 years knowledge of pool technology.
The gutter needs very careful construction as its edge must be perfectly level all round and the floor should have a 1% gradient. Gutters can be finished off with a PVC or ABS grating which comes in various widths, is ridiculously overpriced at 650 - 1,000 baht per metre, and discolours and goes brittle from UV radiation and looks ugly after just two years or so. A new trend with domestic pools is to fill the gutter with cheaper, decorative pebbles, but care must be taken not to restrict the flow (there are one or two tricks to work around this).

1. Assuming that yours is a genuine balance-tank system, which it should be of course if you have an overflow gutter, you will have a concrete underground tank somewhere which should contain about 7,500 litres, and have a volume large enough to absorb the displacement of another surge of 1,500 litres from bathers in the pool, plus another 2,500 litres whch could fall on the surface of a 50 m2 pool during a heavy tropical rain. This is a large tank and would need to be at least about 3 x 3 x 2.5 m or equivalent dimensions.

2. Assuming the balance-tank (sometimes called a surge-tank) includes an automatic top-up system, which it should have, preferably,

3. Assuming, to prevent undesirable influence on the ph, the tank has either extremely well applied, very smooth, waterproof rendering on its walls and floor or is tiled, and has been correctly constructed using waterstop,

4. Assuming that your price includes the expensive Muifa tiles which cost 650 baht for a pack of 90, which when laid with a 5mm grout, will cover 1 m2, and that the contractor's price includes the very expensive, special tile adhesive to fix them, and the extremely expensive grouting needed for them (around 200 baht / m2),

5. Assuming that your spa jets are fed by a separate spa pump and blower,

6. Assuming that your Hayward filter and your Starite pump ( both excellent brands, and I admire your choice) are correctly matched and when combined, deliver the correct flow-rate to filter the entire contents of the pool, spa, and balance tank in a minimum of six hours,

7. Assuming that, for optiimal filtration, you will be filling the filter with a hi-tech filter medium rather than standard pool filter silica-sand,

8. Assuming the plumbing is carried out with 2", 13.5 density PVC piping throughout, glued with special high performanc PVC cement, and that you have TWO interconnected main-drains with built-in hydrostatic valves, and that the accessories such as foot-valves, check-valves, and ball-valves are of industrial strength and quality,

9. Assuming that the cost of the sandwash decking around the pool is included in the price,

THEN YOU HAVE YOURSELF A TRULY EXCEPTIONALLY GOOD DEAL.

I have seen many, many quotes for smaller, less complex, and less luxurious concrete pools of this size and basic design, without spa, of 1.2 million baht - that's why I suggested you would still have done well at 900 K. For your price, all you often get is a cheap, quick build, PVC liner pool, with a non-plumbed, all-in-one filter unit that hangs over the side into the water and only effectively circulates 1/3 of the water at the best of times.

I would therefore suggest you reccommend and post the name of the contractor on the swimming pool forum for all to see, as I only know of one single pool firm in the country that can come anywhere near these prices. This is information that we are all craving to get. Here is the link to this highly informative forum:

A state-of-the-art saltwater chlorinator from a leading Australian pool equipment company, which includes a programmable, computer controlled, complete pool management system for this pool, would cost about 37,000 baht including supplier's profit and VAT. It takes less than one hour to install and set up and comes with a comprehensive; easy to understand, English language manual. From Pattaya to Rayong, the installation cost should not be more than 2,000 baht, but it's so easy, you could do it yourself. You will need about 300 - 400 Kg of 99% natrium chloride (refined sea salt) to start up, and add 50 Kg every 3 - 6 months according to the dilution caused by topping up with water or rainfall. Beware of the pool firms in Pattaya that are currently charging 500 baht per bag. There are pool shops in Pattaya that will sell it for 250 baht per bag. The factory price is 125 baht. A chlorinator will save you up to 90% of your future maintenance costs and apart from occasionally balancing the ph with either soda ash or hydrochloric acid, you will not need any additional chemicals. If for any reason your water goes cloudy, which is rare, it is a good idea to have a bottle of Cleartrine handy. This will very quickly bring the water back to sparkling clear.

Lighting: Unless you have seen a pool this size lit by three, 100W, 12V lights, and were satisfied with the level of illumination, four lights would certainly be a better choice. The best location would probably be two lights in the long wall. Lights come in a vast range of materials, types, quality and price. Some are easy to install after the walls have been constructed and tiled, others need some labour intensive preparation in the early stages of the pool construction. Cheaper lights are notorious for failing early on in their lifetime (they leak and get filled with water, or the bulbs overheat and blow out), and replacement bulbs are very expensive. It is not particularly easy to replace bulbs, particularly in the deep end where you will actually be treading water while you do this. Ensure that any metal parts, bolts and screws, are of high quality stainless steel.
Low voltage needs thick wire - keep the cable runs from the lights to the transformers as short as possible to avoid more loss of lumens through resistance in the wire.

A new kind of underwater light has just reached the Thai market. They work on the principle of a cluster of LEDs. They are small and compact and look very smart. It is not possible to change the bulbs, but they should last a lifetime. Fairly expensive from around 6,000 baht . I have not seen any in use yet.

Khun Jazz,

Certainly no lack of assumptions that should be validated and the word of caution has not gone unnoticed. I don't claim to be a pool design or construction expert, or even a novice for that matter, and appreciate your offering things to be on the look out for. I will certainly check into these items. As far as naming the contractor, I plan on doing this upon completion so that either a recommendation or advisement not to deal with the builder can be made. To do either before hand would be presumptuous.

The use of the pebbles rather than the PVC/ABS gutter grating is not something that appeals to me so I will dispense with the thought. As for the other items to consider, I'm on it and will report out on what I find out. Thanks again for the insight and advisement.
mtsinternational

MTSINTERNATIONAL House

Postby mtsinternational » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:36 pm

Based on Khun Jazz's list of items to be on the look out for, I crafted a series of simple and unambiguous questions to the pool contractor to get some clarification. I am standing by for a response from the pool contractor.

5 March 2008: Progress on the house and pool excavation continues. Plans for a mid-March trip to Thai remain on track and after the eyes on view of the situation will be able to finalize decisions related to extension of upper pool patio and keep the lower pool patio at a reasonable size or extend the lower pool patio size; inclusion of Georgian bars on the PVC windows; elvation of the garden area; and what type of kitchen cabinets to have made and installed. Decisions, decisions, decisions....

Anyway, here are a few pictures from the moset recent developments on the house and pool:
Attachments
P3030664 (Medium).JPG
P3030662 (Medium).JPG
P3030670.JPG
P3030660 (Medium).JPG
P3030658 (Medium).JPG
P3030681.JPG
mtsinternational

Re: MTSINTERNATIONAL House

Postby mtsinternational » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:53 am

29 April 2008

After return from my 6 week trip to Thailand and checking on the status of the Ban Chang house and pool construction project, I'm happy to report that progress is ahead of schedule, quality and specs of the project are being met, and there is a strong feeling that the whole house and pool project will be sucessfully completed ahead of schedule in the July time frame. Understanding of course that there will still be some things to take care of like planing some trees and doing some general things around the new house. During the 6 weeks at the construction site, we were able to make some desired adjustments to the plans and witness considerable progress of which following are a few pictures with a little discussion of the pictures.
Attachments
Michael @ House10 , April 2008 (Medium).jpg
Exterior house walls were all doubled in width with Q Block (Super Block) with about 1 1/2 inch of air space between the doubled blocks to provide both sound and temperature insulation. Contractor commented on how good the Q block is to work with and I a
mtsinternational

Re: MTSINTERNATIONAL House

Postby mtsinternational » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:04 am

Here is another picture of the the unrendered house Q block walls. Note the cinder blocks in the forground that were used to fill in the crawl space below the floor level of the house.
Attachments
House & Pool Construction, April 2008 (170) (Medium).jpg
Here you can see that the window and door frames were formed with reinforced concrete. Also, the steel roof supports that were being put in place are visable along with the swimming pool form in the forground.
mtsinternational

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story