Building in Don Tau It, Kanchanaburi

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Postby apetley » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:07 pm

mtsinternational wrote:Looking good Apertley! The progress seems to be on track. As for the septic, I'm going through the same process now for the home I'm building in Ban Chang. would nice to see your post on what you decide to go with and the reasoning behind it.

Hi, I'm leaning towards the sensible option, that is the concrete rings.
As Jazzman says there should be no lesser performance than a plastic tank with a substantial saving in cost too.
The cost saving will be even more substantial going for the concrete ring type as our 'water' man is opting for 2 siht tanks. The routing for the 3 bathrooms is easier to 2 tanks instead of 1.
apetley

Postby apetley » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:18 pm

Today the upstairs beams have been poured which meant the labourers all had a good days exercise after a late night last night.
There was a Carabao concert in a nearby village last night and they all went to that and partied away to the small hours. There were 10000 people there apparently!
The buckets of concrete mix were hoisted aloft by hand and took about 5 hours.
Attachments
IMG003.JPG
IMG004.JPG
Concrete is dumped into the tray and then hoisted by hand.
Where's the good old HSE?
IMG006.JPG
Metal platforms do exist in rural Thailand!
apetley

Postby apetley » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:21 pm

If wifey understood uncle correctly the beams will be drying in the forms 2 or 3 days. Then the upstairs floor will have the reinforcing made and put in place before it's own pour.
Then the upstair columns will be poured.
apetley

Postby apetley » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:28 pm

Right at the rear of what will be the enclosed part of our property is a pond.
We have decided not to continue the wall around the pond as that area will be landscaped and we didn't think it would look so good with a 2 metre wall surround.
Wifey has suggested a fence but one well hidden by plants, bushes and also with creeping rose trained along it.
Sounds reasonable to me and an easy option to go along with.
Attachments
IMG010.JPG
IMG007.JPG
apetley

Postby apetley » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:25 pm

We have the start of a minor drama today.
The labourers have been working on the garden wall.
This morning there was a real gale blowing and one of the sections blew over into the adjoining paddy.
2 square metres of rice were flattened, but by this evening was already starting to stand up again.
The owner of the paddy harangued uncle the builder into giving her 800 Bht compensation! Must be the best rice in the world for that.
When wifey found out she was straight round to the local 'poo yai' to complain that 800 Bht was way too much especially as the owner of the paddy has encroached onto our land anyway.
The local mayor will be paying a site visit tomorrow to mediate. Should be interesting!
Attachments
PICT0905.jpg
Roof beam reinforcing made today
PICT0906.jpg
Despite the problem today this much wall went up.
PICT0907.jpg
PICT0908.jpg
View from what will be the front gate.
apetley

Postby thaifly » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:30 pm

apetley wrote:We have the start of a minor drama today.
The labourers have been working on the garden wall.
This morning there was a real gale blowing and one of the sections blew over into the adjoining paddy.
2 square metres of rice were flattened, but by this evening was already starting to stand up again.
The owner of the paddy harangued uncle the builder into giving her 800 Bht compensation! Must be the best rice in the world for that.
When wifey found out she was straight round to the local 'poo yai' to complain that 800 Bht was way too much especially as the owner of the paddy has encroached onto our land anyway.
The local mayor will be paying a site visit tomorrow to mediate. Should be interesting!
gidday aptley......ITS THE THAIFDLY FROM MAE RIM....the joys of building a wall.....when our backhoe driver was digging the foundation holes he encroached our next door neighbor property BY A MERE 6 INCHES......and there was hell to play...u would have thought that we had caused a crimnal offence..there property is about 5 rai mine u a mere 6 inches...????....anyway needless to say they are not talking to us now ONE THE BEST BREAKS GIVING TO US ...........about your 800 baht generally its the rule once its in the claw its BYE BYE ....i would be more concerned about the failure of the wall...i am sure things will work out for u ITS A GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby apetley » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:00 pm

Hi thaifly.
I thought the same as you. She has the money now so doubtful whether uncle will see it again.
The local mayor is involved now! and will be paying her husband a visit tomorrow as he thinks 800 Bht is way over the top.
He knows uncle the builder as he used to be mayor of the adjoining village!
Thick as thieves!!!
I am not worried about the wall as it was in the process of being put up and the mortar was still wet when the site was hit by a real gale.
apetley

Postby apetley » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:16 pm

The forms for the upstairs beams came off today and the labourers have started the preparations for the upstairs floor.
Hopefully that will be poured next Monday.
The floor will be the standard 10cm thickness although the two bathrooms will be 8cm because of the small step down.
Attachments
PICT0911.jpg
PICT0910.jpg
PICT0909.jpg
apetley

Postby apetley » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:39 pm

The saga of the flattened rice seems to have been resolved.
The mayor of the village talked with my wife and the owner of the land at 7.30 this morning.
It was bad enough getting up early but I had run sister in law to Suvarnabhumi last night for a 00.30 flight and didn't get home until nearly 2am and of course it is a monk day today and they were broadcasting over the PA at 5.30am for 2 hours.............
Anyway, a compromise was reached and the owner handed back 400 Bht for uncle. She said that she hadn't wanted any money in the first place but her husband was the one who asked for the 800 Bht! Family loyalty not so strong in that household I think.
Smiles all around then.
apetley

Postby apetley » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:44 pm

Today the labourers have been putting up the forms and reinforcing for the upstairs floor. Looks like it is still on schedule for a pour on Monday.
Attachments
PICT0914.jpg
PICT0913.jpg
PICT0912.jpg
apetley

Postby jazzman » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:27 pm

I have been following this story regularly. I'm extremely impressed with the speed with which everything is happening - could you remind us again how many workers you have permanently on the site and if they are working through weekends and holidays?

Thanks
Jazzman
jazzman

Postby apetley » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:41 pm

Hi Jazzman. Nice to know you are interested.
There are usually 9 or 10 people on site.
Since they started on Jan 14th there has only been 2 inactive days.
One for Chinese New Year and one day washed out because of the downpour.
Uncle still reckons on a finish some time in April but I have just asked him for a concrete driveway up to the front of the house, about 40 metres. Let's see if that slows him down.
apetley

Postby apetley » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:36 pm

Work continued on the reinforcing for the upstairs floor today.
Uncles 'water' man also paid a site visit.
He is working out where to put pipes and drains and has been asking a few questions.
He is not impressed by the house plans to be honest but says they are usable!
He is also the owner of a hotel so seems to know more than the average Thai about hot water systems which is good as we will have hot water in the ensuite.
He has even heard of copper pipe!!!
Attachments
PICT0918.jpg
PICT0915.jpg
PICT0916.jpg
PICT0917.jpg
apetley

Postby johnleepbs » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:07 am

apetley wrote:
mtsinternational wrote:
Hi, I'm leaning towards the sensible option, that is the concrete rings.
As Jazzman says there should be no lesser performance than a plastic tank with a substantial saving in cost too.
The cost saving will be even more substantial going for the concrete ring type as our 'water' man is opting for 2 siht tanks. The routing for the 3 bathrooms is easier to 2 tanks instead of 1.

Ohh wait up, I just saw this. Are you wanting a proper septic tank, or just the tanks that need to be pumped out by the blue truck fairly frequently? There is a world of difference.

The plastic septic tanks that you can buy (or indeed make from concrete, not just the rings) are a completely different thing and are intended to be part of a system including a drainage field.

I have never seen a plastic tank that is just a basic holding tank with a minor drain off facility (like concrete rings); nobody would buy them :D
johnleepbs

Postby apetley » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:50 am

Hi John.
Yes, a proper septic is what's required.
Uncle the builder is doing his best to save us money too and is steering us towards the concrete rings with proper drainage.
Just about made up my mind to go for this option.
apetley

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story