Building in Don Tau It, Kanchanaburi

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Don Tau It, Kanchanaburi

Postby apetley » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:23 pm

The roof of Nicky's Thai kitchen got just about finished on Saturday. All it's waiting on now is the edge tiles on the end of the roof. These are waiting because the corner tiles were not in stock and had to be ordered.
Ground beam got prepared and poured over the weekend too. The walls will be put up before the floor is poured.

nanbuilder, thanks for the kind comments and all the best for your own build.
As for the plumbing configuration for a tank and demand pump have you seen ours in the water tank house? I would guess that jazzman's own setup is broadly similar.
The domestic supply splits into two to feed the house and tank. The tank is then routed into the demand pump and onto the house.
We have stop valves fitted to isolate the two supplies so only one is switched on at a time.
Attachments
TK5.jpg
Roof is up and gives a nice shady and dry place to work under
TK6.jpg
Ground beam added
TK7.jpg
Hopefully our water setup is clear from this pic
apetley

Postby otis-a » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:00 am

hi ap
seems u water system running some time now
so just wonder how often u change filters and the filter micron rating?
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby apetley » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi. Yes our water has been up and running for three years now. No problems at all inside but the usual problem of reliable supply and pressure. Sometimes it's not possible to have a shower upstairs under mains pressure and we either have to use the downstairs bathroom or I go out and switch on the pump.
Only other problem was a stolen water meter which was replaced free of charge and appears to run slow so our bills are now half what they used to be! The police told me one meter is worth one yaabaa pill to the thief.
The filters are changed when they go from the usual creamy colour to an unsavoury brown. This is anything between 3 and 6 months. Sorry but I have no idea as to the filtering size.
apetley

Postby nanbuilder » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:23 am

apetley wrote:nanbuilder, thanks for the kind comments and all the best for your own build.
As for the plumbing configuration for a tank and demand pump have you seen ours in the water tank house? I would guess that jazzman's own setup is broadly similar.
The domestic supply splits into two to feed the house and tank. The tank is then routed into the demand pump and onto the house.
We have stop valves fitted to isolate the two supplies so only one is switched on at a time.

Thanks for the picture apetley, looks good. I wonder, given the unreliable water pressure (which surely applies to my site also), if it will be a good idea to raise my tank by 3m on a gantry? I can easily hide this behind trees along my perimeter so the 'ugly' issue does not apply - the tank will be completely hidden from view. I guess I would then need a pump (on demand type?) that will keep the tank full? I really am not much good at water/plumbing issues - much to learn.
nanbuilder

Postby apetley » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:56 pm

I stand to be corrected by any more knowlegeable members of the forum but if my memory of school science class is right each foot in height raises water pressure by only 0.5 psi so a 3 metre high structure would only be worth an extra 5 psi or so. I would consider 30 psi as very low so you would need a very high tower to make a real difference. Cheaper and easier to go the pump route imho.
apetley

Postby apetley » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:28 am

Wall blocks and window frames were finished off on Wednesday but yesterday was a washout due to the bad weather here.
Took the opportunity to go into town and buy a double sink and gas cooker.
Labourers are onsite today and hopefully will have a good go at getting the rendering of the walls done if the weather stays ok.
Attachments
TK8.jpg
apetley

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:34 am

Always a nice story Apetley.

I was going to ask about that tank :) so good to hear it finally has been put to some use.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby apetley » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:43 pm

Thanks for the comment BKKBILL. The septic was always there reminding us of our mistake(s) but I had to smile as it was cut apart to start it's new like as a mixing bucket! :D

The basic structure was completed on Monday when the windows and doors were put in place. Not a great job, average for Thailand, but I have seen far worse and then again seen better as well. At least they seem to fit and when you pull on the handles they open and shut too!
Also completed was a small step around the house. We didn't ask for one as we were planning on gravelling the entire area but when our builder said it was included in his price Nicky said ok, always one to spot a bargain is Nicky.
Total cost so far is 55k bht of which 13500 was labour.
What we have to arrange for now is to get some electric piped in, the counters built and the plumbing installed if Nicky wants to get cooking in there soon.
As a thankyou Nicky offered to feed our labourers on their final day. No bother said builder man who let on that he had been eyeing the fish in our pond. Just buy some laokao and I'll catch and cook a few.
A man of many talents is our builder. Brick layer, renderer, welder, carpenter and now cook. Oh yes and I saw him ploughing over his rice field a couple of days ago.
Attachments
TK11.jpg
The basic structure. Not bad for a budget build imho.
TK9.jpg
Builder man showing off his talent of dispatching and cooking the fish from our pond. Two labourers tell the bbq to hurry up whilst Nicky, builder mans wife and a labourer look on hungrily.
TK10.jpg
Seven of us ate about 20 of these little beauties. Four labourers consumed 4 bottles of lao too! How they made it home is beyond me!
apetley

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:33 pm

apetley wrote:A man of many talents is our builder. Brick layer, renderer, welder, carpenter and now cook. Oh yes and I saw him ploughing over his rice field a couple of days ago.

Want one of those ... does he travel well?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:04 am

apetley,
May I say thank you for the wonderful story you have written on your build, it proved it could be done, even with all the pitfalls.
I would like to suggest something in regards to your leaky septic tank as you are going to keep it as a reminder; you could always cut it in half and plant small trees in the two halves and station them at the front entrance, that way it would be sort of like a memorial to leaky septic tanks and what happens to them. And when an inquisitive person asks why they are there, you could smile and say. "Well, it's a long story, but if you have some time, I'd be delighted to tell you".
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:33 am

MGV12 wrote:
Want one of those ... does he travel well?

Maybe? maybe not? But he would not be someone you could trust your fish with :lol: :lol:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby apetley » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi MGV, our builder is great to know when you want something done quickly and by a local at village prices. As for travelling well? With all the lao he manages to drink I think it safer he doesn't travel very far at all!

RR, the septic is staying as a cement mixing bucket. Finally serving a useful purpose, anyway I think wifey would draw the line at placing them ceremonially outside the front gate. She did suggest that it may make a nice bog garden though!

Geordie, what I was worried about was him standing too close to the BBQ after all the lao he'd consumed.

Yesterday sparky was back to wire up the Thai kitchen. We also took the opportunity to wire up the sala for light and power point.
Installing four lights, four double power points, a consumer box and all the switches came to a reasonable 1800 bht. Happy to pay as he is the only electrician in the area I would trust to do anything in our house. All the hardwardware and cabling was about 4000 bht.
apetley

Postby apetley » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:03 pm

This last week has seen yours truly finish painting the outside of Nicky's Thai kitchen which is a relief! Not a bad job if I say so myself and as it was Dulux it didn't slide off or turn black with the first rainfall.
Gutterman two installed our guttering for us and did a nice quick and neat job. Gutterman one blotted his copybook a few months ago when it was obvious he was less than happy to come out and fix one of the seams that had let go on the guttering he installed on our main house.
Tileman is back to build and tile the counters.
When he's finished hopefully in a few days the call will go out to waterman two to put in the plumbing and then Nicky can get on with cooking my dinner in her own special kitchen! :D
Attachments
TK13.jpg
Guttering installed. About 16 metres came to about 4k bht. It was a little wider than I would have liked but unavoidable due to the amount of overhang of the roof tiles.
TK12.jpg
Tileman installing the forms and rebar for the counter.
TK14.jpg
Outside has been painted and not looking too bad. Drainpipes installed too and run along the wall to drain into our pond.
apetley

Postby nanbuilder » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:21 am

jazzman wrote:grease trap finished
'Grey water' - that's the stuff from kitchen sinks, washbasins, washing machines and showers - generally doesn't contain contain solids that need to be bacterially decomposed, and is already largely disinfected by the additives in soaps and detergents. These detergents float on water and can be separated in a grease trap before the water is led away to leach. Keeping the grey water separate from sewage also helps prevent the bacteriological process in the septic tank from getting over-diluted

Jazzman - regarding your homemade grease trap - is there a requirement to clean it out at any stage? If so what about access? The only ones I have seen are the commercial type used for restaurants? Thanks
nanbuilder

Postby elgato » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:35 pm

apetley wrote:This last week has seen yours truly finish painting the outside of Nicky's Thai kitchen which is a relief! Not a bad job if I say so myself and as it was Dulux it didn't slide off or turn black with the first rainfall.
Gutterman two installed our guttering for us and did a nice quick and neat job. Gutterman one blotted his copybook a few months ago when it was obvious he was less than happy to come out and fix one of the seams that had let go on the guttering he installed on our main house.
Tileman is back to build and tile the counters.
When he's finished hopefully in a few days the call will go out to waterman two to put in the plumbing and then Nicky can get on with cooking my dinner in her own special kitchen! :D

My "better half" was perusing your thread and asked me why Nicky's kitchen is so far away from the main house.
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story