Building in Don Tau It, Kanchanaburi

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Building in Don Tau It, Kanchanaburi

Postby apetley » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:11 am

My cousin must have some sort of grass fetish as he has been pestering me to add a couple of pics of our lawn.
So these are for Mark.
Attachments
556.jpg
557.jpg
558.jpg
View from the balcony. Spirit house base is still awaiting the most auspicious time for them to be added.
apetley

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:54 am

Looking good apetley looking good. It sure doesn’t take long for stains to start showing on the driveway and fence. Were you planning any other finish on the driveway?
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby apetley » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:31 am

Hi Bill.
Driveway stays as it is.
You know concrete never stays pristine in this country!
Sort of a weathered look, that's my excuse anyway.
As for the walls alot of that is splash up from the dirt when we had heavy rain before laying the turf.
Having said that some of it is mold which I put down to using not so good quality paint on the wall.
The house was finished with Dulux and has stayed good looking and no flaking, it really seems to be the best stuff available.
The garden wall will get a coat of the same sometime in the future.
apetley

Postby thaifly » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:37 pm

apetley wrote:Hi Bill.
Driveway stays as it is.
its a gidday to the mighty apletly...its the thai fly from m ae rim...i guess bangers bill ... has only seen short driveways that are under cover :lol: :D :lol: :D ..mines the same. due to water cascading from our carport gutter and turning apron our driveway.. has gutters also.. but it still got THE WEATHERED LOOK..after a short timespan..all in all..a driveway is a driveway.. to keep it in pristine condition..is mission impossible..as for yours ... all it needs is some xmas trees spaced every 5 metres..or some lovely bushes placed along the edges..and HEY PRESTO.. your d/way will be A BO DEREK over nite...just idea for you..COBBER..its a BIG MATCH GIDDAY TO ALL...its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Postby gaudlitz » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:03 am

your post from June 8th, 2009, 12:48
Hi apetley,
I have seen your rolladoors and they seem to solve the problem quickly and at reasonable price.
You gave some dimensions in the post. I would like to know whether there are some more descriptions / vendor wed page providing
- the dimensions of the blind box
- may higher versions (I think 3m out of the box would be sufficient)
I would like to have a window pane of 228x320cm (HxW) and put a rolladoor in front of it for the times when we are not at home.
regards gerhard
gaudlitz

Postby apetley » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:57 am

thaifly wrote:
Driveway stays as it is.
its a gidday to the mighty apletly...its the thai fly from m ae rim...i guess bangers bill ... has only seen short driveways that are under cover :lol: :D :lol: :D ..mines the same. due to water cascading from our carport gutter and turning apron our driveway.. has gutters also.. but it still got THE WEATHERED LOOK..after a short timespan..all in all..a driveway is a driveway.. to keep it in pristine condition..is mission impossible..as for yours ... all it needs is some xmas trees spaced every 5 metres..or some lovely bushes placed along the edges..and HEY PRESTO.. your d/way will be A BO DEREK over nite...just idea for you..COBBER..its a BIG MATCH GIDDAY TO ALL...its the thai fly from mae rim

Hi thaifly, you missed the bushes along our driveway! Sad little things that are taking an age to grow but they finally seem to be growing up.
Our land is very flat so the rain drains away quite slowly especially after the deluges we had last month.
Because of this the driveway stays damp for quite some time, hence the weathered look.
As for the trees along the drive I like the idea but wifey didn't, so anything for a quiet life, no trees. Maybe I will talk her around sometime.
apetley

Postby apetley » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:10 am

gaudlitz wrote:your post from June 8th, 2009, 12:48
Hi apetley,
I have seen your rolladoors and they seem to solve the problem quickly and at reasonable price.
You gave some dimensions in the post. I would like to know whether there are some more descriptions / vendor wed page providing
- the dimensions of the blind box
- may higher versions (I think 3m out of the box would be sufficient)
I would like to have a window pane of 228x320cm (HxW) and put a rolladoor in front of it for the times when we are not at home.
regards gerhard

Hi gerhard, thanks for your interest.
Our rolladoor supplier is a very small business and probably only knows how to use a mobile phone let alone setup a website, sorry.
These doors are sold all over Thailand so are pretty much standard so maybe your best option is to have a look around at a few suppliers in your area, find out the specs they are using and then haggle a price.
I am sure you are aware that if you already have a window in place then the rolladoor housing will not sit flush in the wall as ours do but the box will be outside.
Also make sure that you find out that they can offer acceptable colours. It's surprising how many will only offer 'Battleship Grey' which does not look good on a shop let alone a nice housebuild.
Also check what locks they will be using and if they can put in the fixings for a padlock at the bottom of the door. Some shops can do this ok if they are fixing into concrete but can muck up the job if they will have to be cutting into tiles.

Andy
apetley

Postby changnoi » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:02 am

Driveway stays as it is.
As for the walls alot of that is splash up from the dirt when we had heavy rain before laying the turf.
Having said that some of it is mold which I put down to using not so good quality paint on the wall.
The house was finished with Dulux and has stayed good looking and no flaking, it really seems to be the best stuff available.
The garden wall will get a coat of the same sometime in the future.

Hi there have been following your build etc and wondered if you were able to point me in the direction of where we might be able to get visibility of the current Dulux paints and pallettes for Thailand. Also would be interested in the indicative costs for Dulux paints do you have anything that you could share say on a sqm perspective cost how many coats etc etc. Any info would be most appreciated.

Onwards
changnoi

Postby apetley » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:50 pm

Hi changnoi.
Any of the larger paint stores should be able to provide you with a current colour guide of the paints they have available.
As for coverage I think most will have a guide on the tin as to how much each will cover although Thai painters will stretch that out even more as they like to thin it down alot more than I am used to.
It's not unusual to see them using a 50-50 mix of paint and water which may explain why you see so many houses with peeling paintwork.
apetley

Postby apetley » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:03 pm

After a few months of just gardening duties we finally had a bit of action today.
Most important happening as far as the MIL is concerned. We had the spirit house/shrine installed today ready for the 'ceremony' next week.
It guarantees us good health, disaster protection and good luck by way of a major lottery win sometime this year.
Not sure if I will go out and cancel all our insurance policies just yet but will consider if and when the lotto pays out the big one.
Shrine was 15k bht including installation with a small ceremony from the guy who made it.
Attachments
559.jpg
The shrine/spirit house is made of of a number of smaller parts assembled on site. Positioned to the millimetre on the base for good luck.
560.jpg
The owner of the shrine workshop performed his own little ceremony as it was being built. Small offerings were placed in the base and a few words said.
561.jpg
Put together and in place ready for the official ceremony on the 17th.
apetley

Postby pf-flyer » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:32 pm

Apetley:
My wife and I browsed your postings and found them very informative and the pictures gave us ideas and issues to concider when we begin to build. I noticed two sattellite dishs on the side of your house. Would you be able give us some infomation about the dishes such as where your purchased them and what stations you can receive. We will be building in a small village outside of Udon Thani and we are looking into what kind of sattellite services are available.
Thanks.
pf-flyer

Location: Western Pennsylvania Now - Udon Thani ( Amphur Nong Harn ) in 2012

Postby apetley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:25 pm

Hi, thanks for the interest in my housebuild.
The red dish is from 'True'
Have a look here for info http://www.truevisionstv.com/home.aspx
Provides farang friendly sports, movies, news and documentaries for 1500 bht a month up.
The yellow dish gives access to free Thai channels and was installed because reception through a normal tv aerial is not that great in the village.
Info here http://www.dtvz.net/
apetley

Postby apetley » Fri May 21, 2010 8:07 am

We have had another addition to Baan Petley this week.
Some friends of ours recently built a nice orchid garden which set Nicky thinking so we planned one to be built up to the sala near our pond.
A quick word with the local village guys who made the base for our sala devised a plan and they started work the next day.
It all went very smoothly, hard to make a mistake on something so simple really and 5 days later we had a nice home for Nickys planned Orchid nursery.
Total cost was 23k bht which seems almost a bargain to me.
Size of the concrete base is 3m X 12m.
Attachments
562.jpg
563.jpg
564.jpg
565.jpg
566.jpg
apetley

Postby BKKBILL » Fri May 21, 2010 1:58 pm

This build just keeps going and going. Looks like a great project for your wife apetley. It will be nice to sit in the sala with pond and orchid garden.

I see you still have that big black ball in the yard. :o :o :o
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby apetley » Fri May 21, 2010 8:24 pm

Hi Bill.
Yes the septic is still there as a healthy reminder to do things properly!
One day, hopefully not too far down the road, we will have a big clear up and all the waste, rubble etc that has been pushed further down the garden will be trucked off somewhere for disposal.
As for finishing the garden Nicky is coming up with some great ideas which usually involves some more backbreaking labour for yours truly. :!:
apetley

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story