Building in Don Tau It, Kanchanaburi

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Postby jazzman » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:39 pm

Nice pics - if you've got more and intend to post them (which would be a very good idea), try using the photo album feature on this site at :
http://coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/

The holes you show are failrly standard. They are usually 1m x 1m and 1.5 - 2.0 m deep, though some builders make them 80 cm x 80 cm. using an excavator may be more costly than cheap labour digging them out by hand which is by far the best way to get a clean cut, and does't take too long. Labour is only about 240 baht per day.

It's worth noting (for anyone picking up this thread) that some architects deliberately over-engineer the number of columns or piles to enable the construction company to change a higher price. A basic grid of 3 x 3 or 4 x 4 metres is sufficient but I recently saw a house fairly similar to the Jazzman house (18 colums), with 33 columns! The space between some of the holes was only 1/2 a metre.
jazzman

Postby apetley » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:22 pm

Hi jazzman, thanks for your comments.
If the build goes smoothly(fingers crossed) I hope to tell the tale here.
I guess I should write up everything even warts and all but hopefully that won't be the case.
As for the holes, they were dug out by the excavator and then will be tidied up manually.
The labourers are on 200 Bht a day, paid by the builder. I was a little surprised at how little they earn, about 3 quid a day back in the UK but was told thats's the going rate here in Kan.
A couple of them are on a higher rate I think. eg the 'foreman' when the Boss is not onsite.
Gave them a bottle of whiskey and some bottles of beer tonight only to be told that the whiskey was too expensive and next time! to bring a couple of bottles of the local lao kao at 70 bht a throw! Inexepensive tastes these labourers.
apetley

Postby apetley » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:46 pm

Just back from the building site and all the foundation holes are dug and have a layer of sand at the bottom ready for the cement to be poured tomorrow.
I have to get up early tomorrow morning as 'The Ceremony' will be taking place. Various items will be buried under one of the footings for good luck in the future. Not too much of it cash I hope!
Attachments
IMG001.JPG
Foundation holes were finished off manually after the excavator did the hard work.
IMG002.JPG
One of the foundation holes lined with sand.
IMG003.JPG
Forms for the columns being made.
IMG004.JPG
Some of the forms to go around the rebar at the bottom of the foundation holes.
apetley

Postby jazzman » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:42 pm

Wooden formwork is very costly and is not needed in the foundation holes. Take a look at this:
http://coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/displayimage.php?album=lastupby&cat=0&pos=90&uid=489

It's also a good idea to line the holes with PVC sheeting though, to keep any ground, seepage, or run-off water out of the concrete during the rainy season, and to add some nam yaa ganseum - waterproofing additive - to the concrete mix.

You're lucky with your labour prices. The cost in 'poor' Isaan these days is 250 and 300 for a foreman - and you still don't always get quality. I came across a situation yesterday in Chayaphum where a local labourer was charging a farang 250 baht per day to put some tiles on a small wall for an outside shower for a swimming pool. He had been applying the grout for THREE days already and had half the wall finished. I rolled my sleeves up and finished the other half in 44 MINUTES.
jazzman

Re: Building in Don Tau It, Kanchanaburi

Postby thomas.fontaine » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:37 pm

Hi

I have just decided to make a house in Thailand. I have now the problem that everybody must have faced before starting the project: where do I have to start?

Well, I decided to first work out a rough specification of what I want to go to check how much that would cost. There is my problem. I can't find on the web anybody that can help me on assessing a rough estimate of the construction cost.

All the architect seem to say that they have to develop the design and complete the detailed engineering to work on a construction cost estimate.

Some of the web site like home2do, dreamhouse, heritage-houses and other present different models with a rough estimate. However, I haven't been able to benchmark those estimate.

Somebody mentioned to me this 10,000 bahts per meter square ratio, but I don't know how it sounds.

Is there any good architect / engineer able to guide you on your project before spending the money for detailed design?
thomas.fontaine

Postby apetley » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:09 pm

jazzman wrote:Wooden formwork is very costly and is not needed in the foundation holes. Take a look at this:
http://coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/displayimage.php?album=lastupby&cat=0&pos=90&uid=489

It's also a good idea to line the holes with PVC sheeting though, to keep any ground, seepage, or run-off water out of the concrete during the rainy season, and to add some nam yaa ganseum - waterproofing additive - to the concrete mix.

You're lucky with your labour prices. The cost in 'poor' Isaan these days is 250 and 300 for a foreman - and you still don't always get quality. I came across a situation yesterday in Chayaphum where a local labourer was charging a farang 250 baht per day to put some tiles on a small wall for an outside shower for a swimming pool. He had been applying the grout for THREE days already and had half the wall finished. I rolled my sleeves up and finished the other half in 44 MINUTES.

Did you pick up the 23 Bht you were due for the 44 minutes?
apetley

Postby jazzman » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:28 pm

No, but if I were charging a very, very modest farang salary of only 1,000 baht per hour, it would have been cheaper 8)
jazzman

Postby apetley » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:51 pm

Today we had 'The Ceremony'.
As far as I can understand it is so no bad luck will befall us when we live in our new house.
Good, no need for any insurance then!
I was up at 6 am to go and collect the 'master of ceremonies'? Not sure what he is called but anyway the arranged pickup was for 7.30.
He arrived promptly at 8.40 with a Mai Pen Rai which irritated me a little.
I saw the wife take 200 of the 500 Bht in the envelope for him so I guess she was cheesed off too.
The inlaws took part in their ceremony while the builders looked on and I took some photos.
After all of that the concrete was poured and the reinforcing for the columns was put up.
Quite a productive day.
Attachments
PICT0798.jpg
"The Ceremony"
PICT0823.jpg
Other stuff is sprinkled in the hole along with some real money prior to the pour.
PICT0815.jpg
A highly decorated reinforcing column is moved into place.
PICT0810.jpg
Somchai and Somchai putting the offerings at the base of one of the foundation holes.
PICT0790.jpg
One of the base reinforcings being laid ready for the pour.
apetley

Re: Building in Don Tau It, Kanchanaburi

Postby jazzman » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:12 pm

thomas.fontaine wrote:Hi

I have just decided to make a house in Thailand. I have now the problem that everybody must have faced before starting the project: where do I have to start?

Well, I decided to first work out a rough specification of what I want to go to check how much that would cost. There is my problem. I can't find on the web anybody that can help me on assessing a rough estimate of the construction cost.

All the architect seem to say that they have to develop the design and complete the detailed engineering to work on a construction cost estimate.

Some of the web site like home2do, dreamhouse, heritage-houses and other present different models with a rough estimate. However, I haven't been able to benchmark those estimate.

Somebody mentioned to me this 10,000 bahts per meter square ratio, but I don't know how it sounds.

Is there any good architect / engineer able to guide you on your project before spending the money for detailed design?

Hi Thomas,

This probably isn't the best forum on this board to ask this question, (it's for people's building stories), if you click the link above to the forum index, you can repost this enquiry again in a more appropriate forum - probably the one on Material Costs.
here's a direct link to it:
http://coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=16

You will find some the answers there for sure :)
jazzman

Postby apetley » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:03 pm

Today all the forms were in place for the base of the columns and they were duly filled to ground level.
Labourers started making the reinforcing for the beams at ground level.
We also marked out where the boundary wall will be and a start will be made when the remainder of the ground floor pillars are poured and left to soak.
Attachments
IMG005.JPG
Forms for the base of the columns are in place and the concrete poured to ground level.
apetley

Postby jazzman » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:39 am

The footings are looking good. Hope your builders will think to keep all freshly poured concrete damp, and covered with damp hessian sacking for several days to prevent it drying in the tropica heat.
jazzman

Postby apetley » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:19 pm

Hi jazzman.
I have asked for the footings and columns to be soaked for at least a week.
The labourers will hopefully be making a start on the perimeter wall while the soaking is taking place to avoid any downtime.
apetley

Postby apetley » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:39 pm

Today the guys started digging out the footings for the wall whilst the two girl labourers busied themselves making the reinforcing for the upstairs columns.
Uncle the builder was dismayed to learn that the price of rebar has gone up nearly 10% since he quoted the build price.
The materials supplier told him that he expects prices to go up by at least another 10% this year.
Glad that we already have things well underway.
Attachments
IMG014.JPG
Two girls put these together today. Reinforcing for the upstairs columns.
IMG006.JPG
Sorry this isn't clear. Footings for the wall. When it's complete soil will fill in between the wall and existing fill.
apetley

Postby apetley » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:52 pm

Well my digital camera seems to be working again but I forgot to take it or my mobile when I went to our building site today so no pics.
The labourers spent most of the day filling in the footings back to ground level.
Tomorrow should see some of the reinforcing for the ground beams being put in place.
apetley

Postby apetley » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:49 pm

Filling in the holes for the footings took a little longer than expected but should be finished today. We left the site early to go and look at some fittings to use in the house later.
Attachments
PICT0829.jpg
Builder is putting down a layer of concrete before the grounds beams are laid. Not sure if it's entirely necessary but guess it can't do any harm
PICT0828.jpg
Starting to look almost recognisable!
apetley

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story