Phuket Eco-Home

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: Phuket Eco-Home

Postby jazzman » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:41 am

Obviously a project of this scope could not have been developed without the intervention of some paid professional advice, engineers, and architects, as well as the free advice from a number of companies that were consulted. It wold be interesting to have a cost breakdown and what the intended donation towards the running of CoolThaiHouse will be from the profits of the sale :mrgreen:
jazzman

Postby grant » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:24 pm

Although I kept track of the costs, I've not taken the time to sort through them all. But the professional fees amounted to about 15% of the overall cost which was in the mid 20's. The bulk of those fees were paid to the architect and the structural engineer. But it was the architect who provided the majority of the advise as he had done similar buildings in Kuala Lumpur and what information I could not get here on CTH, I sourced from scouring the web. It was not an easy house to build and I doubt I would have had the guts to do it if it had not been for the information provided by the regulars in this forum. Regardless if the house is a modest 2 million baht bungalow or a 50 million baht mansion, the advise and experience provided here is invaluable. There were many occasions where my contractors would tell my things that I did not understand and sometimes (often) not believe, so I would sort through the relevant posts here and go back the next day an educated person :D This saved my ass countless numbers of times where things were simply being done incorrectly. I wasn't posting very often during the construction because most everything I needed to know was already here. So I owe everyone here a sincere thanks and especially Dozer for creating this forum. A portion of the profits? Come by for a few beers or a few bottles of red anytime.
grant

Postby grant » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:10 pm

Nawty wrote:It certainly is a spectacular property.

What did you use on the swimming pool for lining ? Cannot see it in great detail but has a nice look to it.

It's terrazzo.
grant

Postby thaifly » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:05 pm

thaifly wrote:.and you are a blue chip member if there was ever one..

its a gidday to grant..its the thai fly from mae rim..the above and your last post says what you are all about..on C.T.H. :D :D :D if anytime in the future ...u visit c/mai..please call into the flys..for a bottle of red..on me..for a great BO DEREK..build and story on C.T.H...dozer can pass my email address on to you....good luck cobber...its a worried CHELSEA F.C gidday to all...ITS THE THAI FLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby Nawty » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:58 am

How much was the terrazo ?

There is a thread on terrazo somewhere and it has a very nice look to it. I would definitely consider it myself if the cost is not to ridiculous.....like beadcrete
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby grant » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:12 am

Nawty wrote:How much was the terrazo ?

There is a thread on terrazo somewhere and it has a very nice look to it. I would definitely consider it myself if the cost is not to ridiculous.....like beadcrete

800 baht per sq. m all inclusive is the going rate in Phuket. I would suggest only using a contractor who has done other work you can inspect.
grant

Postby koastal » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:12 am

Grant,

Found your house at last.

One word.

Stunning. :shock:

KK
koastal

Postby Nawty » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:00 pm

Grant...do you remember offhand how much that wood cost for your formwork >>

How did they support it underneath ?? I would presume a lot more bracing than steel formwork...
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby tangaroa » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:41 am

Wow. Just wow!

What a truly inspirational home!
tangaroa

Re:

Postby jackthai » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:30 am

How are you going to finish those walls ? got any examples of finished walls anywhere ?[/quote]

I'm not sure where the name came from but it essentially is concrete that is poured in custom made forms where the surface of the form determines the finished face of the concrete. The finish you see in the pics is the finished product. [/quote]

Grant congrats on your home - It looks wonderful on that stunning site...

I am very interested in 2 areas high-lighted by your images;

1. You appear to have found a contractor capable of good-quality off-form concrete work - did you utilise a builder, or hire the concretor directly? - did this present much of a problem in finding him to begin with....

2. I am proposing to build a house in Phuket - it is much more modest in scale than yours, however, I am looking to utilise flat roofs - most likely of concrete.... so, I was very interested to see your upper roofs - may I ask what is the nature of their construction?
jackthai

Re: Re:

Postby grant » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:06 pm

1. You appear to have found a contractor capable of good-quality off-form concrete work - did you utilise a builder, or hire the concretor directly? - did this present much of a problem in finding him to begin with....

2. I am proposing to build a house in Phuket - it is much more modest in scale than yours, however, I am looking to utilise flat roofs - most likely of concrete.... so, I was very interested to see your upper roofs - may I ask what is the nature of their construction?[/quote]

I hired a labor only contractor and then managed the project myself along with a Thai manager who worked directly for me. The key to good form work is good/proper materials and proper supervision. We bought all the materials and provided the supervision. I also had an architect who has a lot of experience with this type of construction and he was a big help onsite.

The roofs are reinforced concrete. There are no beams visible because they are inside the slab. This of course takes much larger steel reinforcement than normal beams however. In hindsight, I would probably look at using post-tension slabs next time.
grant

Previous

Return to Your Building Story