Building in Phanat Nikhom

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Postby thaifly » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:21 pm

somdet wrote:Happy holidays. Things are moving right along out here in Phanat Nikhom. Unfortunately, the last week or so has had its share of problems, the first real ones we have encountered so far. Tiles being laid where they shouldn't be is one of the problems. Luckily, all were removed, scraped clean, and relaid and things don't look too bad. On a minor note they used green plastic for the tile edge moulding. The problem is that the color scheme is black and cream. The main issue at the moment, however, is the wood floor. The workmanship is pretty substandard and I am not convinced about the structural soundness of the design. The contractor has assured me that everything is fine, but I am worried. We shall see. ......gidday somdet...ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAERIM.....when your woodeen floor is sanded back and lacquered 3 times i hope..i feel sure u will be a lot happy about the end product.....wish u and the family a merry xmas and happy new year....ITS A GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAERIM.....

I have uploaded some new photos in the Forum gallery.
thaifly

Postby somdet » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:08 pm

Hello everyone, and Happy New Year! I spent Christmas and New Year in Buriram, at my wife's parents' house and returned to some surprises, good and bad. The good ones are that the house is really coming along. It looks like a house now. The bad news is that the wooden floor is a disaster. The wood is a mixed bag- some beautiful planks, some crap. The workmanship is crap. I htink I could have done better myself. There is buckling, there are chips and cracks, in places it is uneven, the edge overshoots the doorway by 2 cm., etc. The contractor has said all of this will be fixed, but since the floor is tongue and groove, I don't really see how. Lesson learned- I should have told them to stop work while we were gone.

Anyway, I have uploaded a number of pictures to the Forum gallery.
somdet

floor

Postby pklongball » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:37 pm

:cry:

Sorry to hear the floor is not going well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,hopefully you and the builder will find a resolution that's not too expensive for you to fix it,,,,,,,,,
pklongball

Postby somdet » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:28 pm

Howdy! We are almost done. Final walkthrough is on Sunday. It is looking pretty good I think. Thaifly, you were right. The wood floor is looking really good. I have some more photos which I will post in the next couple of days. I want to thank Dozer and all of the people on this forum for so much information, food for thought, and even just words of encouragement. This was my first foray into housebuilding, and I coolthaihouse was an invaluable resource. THANKS!
somdet

Postby thaifly » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:10 pm

somdet wrote:Howdy! We are almost done. Final walkthrough is on Sunday. It is looking pretty good I think. Thaifly, you were right. The wood floor is looking really good. I have some more photos which I will post in the next couple of days. I want to thank Dozer and all of the people on this forum for so much information, food for thought, and even just words of encouragement. This was my first foray into housebuilding, and I coolthaihouse was an invaluable resource. THANKS!
gidday somdetITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM ......very pleased to hear the wood en floors have come up to your expections.... i had a simlar experience with mine and PRESTO...they tuned into a BO DEREK.... overnite.....you and your family ....have a lovely sunday ITS A GIDDAY TO ALL ITS THE THAIFLY FROM MAE RIM
thaifly

Postby somdet » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:20 pm

Hi everyone. Well, Sunday came and went and the house is not yet finished. We had a walkthrough with the contractor where I pointed out problem areas. He agreed and the past few days one or two workers have been showing up and slowly fixing them. Plus, we decided to add a few more electrical outlets and change from 15 amps to 30 amps which has been a bit of a setback. On the good side, however, this has given me time to work on the yard. It's not done yet because the sod man didn't have enough sod on hand. Go figure.

There are more pictures up now in the forum gallery.
somdet

Re: Building in Phanat Nikhom

Postby somdet » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:03 pm

Hello everybody.
It has been a little more than 18 months since we moved into our house. There has only been one significant problem. There has been some minor cracking in the rendering and the driveway was not vibrated very well, but those are the kinds of things I can deal with. The signifcant problem was with the wooden floor, and it really soured me on our contractor and the whole house project in general. In fact, I had to divest myself from everything that reminded me of it, this site included. The contractor did not properly ventilate the crawl space under the floor and two days after we moved into the house the floor exploded, leaving a six inch gap in my new front room floor and almost sending a foot-long splinter into my daughter, who was napping on the floor when it exploded. Because of my ignorance, we had not had any sort of warranty in the contract and believed our contractor when he said he would tale care of our house for 5 years. When I brought him down to show him he actually said, "Oh, I was just lying to you" when I reminded him of his commitment. To keep myself from killing him I asked him to leave my property and never return, which he has done. Luckily, my brother-in-law is a carpenter so he came down from the plateau with a buddy, tore out the ruined floor, and put in a new one. It looks 100x better. Plus, about three months ago he came back and made two chiffarobes, a bed frame, a massive bookshelf, base boards, and an entertainment center/showcase out of the wood we pulled out. The wood we had to purchase to build a new floor cost 70000 baht, which was steep. Plus we paid the two workers 10000 baht each. They also made six more vents which has helped. No problems with the floor since. So we paid an extra $3000, which was a bummer. But we have a much better and nicer floor plus a lot of very nice custom made furniture. In the states the entertainment center/showcase would be close to $3000 itself I imagine.
I will try to post some pictures of how the place is looking now that it has been lived in for a while.
I Hope everyone is doing well.
somdet

Postby pklongball » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:54 am

Sorry to hear of the misfortunes. I'm glad to hear it got sorted out and now in the end life is good. I like many wondered what became of you.
The complete picture story of our house build can be found here--My Gallery!
pklongball

Postby thaifly » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:08 am

pklongball wrote: I like many wondered what became of you.

its a gidday to somdet...its the thai fly from mae rim..its great to hear from you........P.K. is bang on with the above quote......yes matey timber flooring can have a risk factor involved...but the end product....is far superior..to tiles ...granite...etc etc.. a feel of timber floor on the hooves..is for mine..well worth the risks involved..in your case..the dice unfortunately did not roll your way....but in any case you were able to reduce your losses..by the furniture deal..so all was not in vain...and you have a timber floor that you wanted...every build has it ups and downs....and in different areas..but you have acheived your goal..and without any western builder ...supervision..or consultancy.. congrats somdet..look forward to your pics....its BEEN A BUSY ..GIDDAY TO ALL..its the thai fly from mae rim
thaifly

Previous

Return to Your Building Story