Building in Phanat Nikhom

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Building in Phanat Nikhom

Postby somdet » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:32 pm

Hi. My wife and I bought almost 3 ngan of land just outside of Phanat Nikhom, Chonburi and are building a house there. I found this site while searching for building advice and it has become an almost daily fix to check in and see what is happening. At first I was convinced to do things as is most highly suggested on this site- get a labor only contract and buy all the materials myself. However, my time and desire just aren't the same as some others, so I have opted for a contractor. So far I have not had the slightest feeling of being ripped off, although I know I could be paying less if I did all the legwork myself. My house is coming in about 7400 baht/sq. m, which I feel is a good price.

Hi everybody. It's October 24th and I have added more photos to the forum gallery. The link is here:



EDIT: Dozer helped me get my gallery going in the coothaihouse forum gallery. check it out here:
http://coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/profile.php?uid=622
Last edited by somdet on Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
somdet
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Chonburi

Postby dozer » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:46 am

Thanks for the news on your project. I will work with you on getting your photos uploaded to this site!
dozer
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1939
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:21 pm

Postby SVielha » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:56 pm

Nice photos. So you're from US.

Is there enough vaction per year to come over to Thailand?

Why is he cement fundation of your house partly in the air?
SVielha
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:00 pm

Postby somdet » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:57 pm

Yes I am from the USA, but I live here in Thailand now.

The house is raised because my wife is mortally afraid of floods.
somdet
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Chonburi

Postby SVielha » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:03 pm

Greatings! :D

Have you checked out my photos in the link under my signature :?:

We have raised the ground 2,5 years before building the house. :wink:

For safety reason we also made a foundation of 60 cm, but I ment that your foundation is on small metal feeds and like 15 cm aboth the ground.
SVielha
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:00 pm

Postby somdet » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:01 pm

They are poured above ground ( about 30 cm ) to raise the level of the floor. With the footings, the preformed slabs and then 10 cm of cement, the floor itself will be almost 1 meter above ground.
somdet
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Chonburi

Postby somdet » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:34 pm

I've posted some new pictures in the photo gallery. They are of the floor, roof, boundary wall, and walls.

http://coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/profile.php?uid=622
somdet
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Chonburi

Postby somdet » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:21 pm

Hi. The roof tiles are almost finished, most of the rendering, inside and out, is finished, and I have started a bit of landscaping (meaning I had some more dirt brought in and planted about 15 trees).

Photos depicting this breathtaking process available in the forum gallery.

http://coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/profile.php?uid=622
somdet
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Chonburi

Your home

Postby pklongball » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:36 am

Looks good at this stage,,,,,,,,,,,the builder looks as if he knows what he's doing,,,,,,,,,at least the structural stages. I viewed all the pics posted 50 of 50.

Are you having some wood floor as well as concrete/tile? What were all those wood supports? Planks or something? Look like wood joists for a floor.

Is your builder a construction company here in Pattaya area? How did you choose them? Care to give the name of the builder and a contact?

You can PM me if you like. Also is it possible to visit your site?

Thanks
User avatar
pklongball
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:32 am
Location: Ban Chang-Phala Beach

Postby somdet » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:29 am

Thanks pklongball. We are pretty happy so far. Those wooden beams are indeed floor joists for a wooden floor. The bedrooms, kitchens, and bathrooms will be tile. You are more than welcome to come check out the site, at which time you can probably meet the contractor. I will send you a pm with my phone number. Take it easy.
somdet
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Chonburi

Postby pklongball » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:38 am

somdet wrote:Thanks pklongball. We are pretty happy so far. Those wooden beams are indeed floor joists for a wooden floor. The bedrooms, kitchens, and bathrooms will be tile. You are more than welcome to come check out the site, at which time you can probably meet the contractor. I will send you a pm with my phone number. Take it easy.


Somdet

Got your PM,, thanks.

As for the wood floor,,,,,,,,,,,any worries about insects? Or dry rot?

I sent you a PM ,,,,,,,,,,thanks

pk
User avatar
pklongball
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:32 am
Location: Ban Chang-Phala Beach

Postby somdet » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:15 am

Happy holidays. Things are moving right along out here in Phanat Nikhom. Unfortunately, the last week or so has had its share of problems, the first real ones we have encountered so far. Tiles being laid where they shouldn't be is one of the problems. Luckily, all were removed, scraped clean, and relaid and things don't look too bad. On a minor note they used green plastic for the tile edge moulding. The problem is that the color scheme is black and cream. The main issue at the moment, however, is the wood floor. The workmanship is pretty substandard and I am not convinced about the structural soundness of the design. The contractor has assured me that everything is fine, but I am worried. We shall see.

I have uploaded some new photos in the Forum gallery.
somdet
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Chonburi

Happy Holidays

Postby pklongball » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:37 am

somdet wrote:Happy holidays. Things are moving right along out here in Phanat Nikhom. Unfortunately, the last week or so has had its share of problems, the first real ones we have encountered so far. Tiles being laid where they shouldn't be is one of the problems. Luckily, all were removed, scraped clean, and relaid and things don't look too bad. On a minor note they used green plastic for the tile edge moulding. The problem is that the color scheme is black and cream. The main issue at the moment, however, is the wood floor. The workmanship is pretty substandard and I am not convinced about the structural soundness of the design. The contractor has assured me that everything is fine, but I am worried. We shall see.

I have uploaded some new photos in the Forum gallery.


Hey Somdet,,,,,,,,,I looked to your newest photos,,,,,,,,,,,,,the homestead is coming along and really taking shape.

I hope your wood flooring gets sorted out? Now that you have about 60 percent completion,,,,,,,,what are your opinions of your contractor now?

Do you still rate him pretty high?

I still want to try to get up there to see the digs.

PK
User avatar
pklongball
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:32 am
Location: Ban Chang-Phala Beach

Postby somdet » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:11 am

That's a good question, PK. My first answer is yes, I do. Having siad that, I will say that this is the only contractor with whom I have had any experience in Thailand. Lately, he seems to be less present around the site, which is the reason for the mistakes we have been having. You are welcome to come on over any time. Happy holidays.
somdet
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Chonburi

Postby pklongball » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:19 am

somdet wrote:That's a good question, PK. My first answer is yes, I do. Having siad that, I will say that this is the only contractor with whom I have had any experience in Thailand. Lately, he seems to be less present around the site, which is the reason for the mistakes we have been having. You are welcome to come on over any time. Happy holidays.


Hey,,,,,,,it's been my experience even with small projects of the fix up or renovation type,,,,,,,,,someone needs to supervise the work,,,,,,,,,and I mean be there almost looking over their shoulder,,,,,,,,,,I have done three paint up/fix up projects and with the first I showed what I wanted and then left,,,,,,,they did what they wanted and I had to have things redone,,,,,,,,,,in the second i monitored the project closer but still not enough and it was better than the first,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,3rd time is a charm I guess because I found a good contractor for the work and they provided the supervision on site,,,,,,,only 3 or 4 days of work,,,,,,,,,,and this time things got done well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,with little or no re-doing things.

So I can understand your comment about your contractor,,,,,,,,,,he probably is supervising more than one job and now that yours is well along he feels no need to be there all the time,,,,,,,,,,and now your project suffers a bit,,,,,,,,,,,

Good luck

PK
User avatar
pklongball
 
Posts: 375
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:32 am
Location: Ban Chang-Phala Beach

Next

Return to Your Building Story

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests