Glass Specification

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Glass Specification

Postby hkexpat » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:26 pm

Does anybody know if glass can be purchased in Thailand preferably close to Hua Hin that meets or is equivalent to either the British BS 6206 or Australian AS1288 specs.

I think I need 5mm glass for child safety and a UV coating to help with reducing solar gain.

Any comments/views

HKexpat
hkexpat

Glass to British Standard

Postby jazzman » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:49 pm

Countries generally don't import glass - they make their own and Thailand is no exception. Being a tropical country, they are well aware of glass with UV filtering properties (either coated, or in the glass), mirrored one-way and reflective. You can get 5 or 6mm glass which is designed for shop doors, but it may be too much to insist that it conforms with a BSI.
Hua Hin / Ch Am / Pratchuap Kiri Kahn is a favourite region for farangs to build houses in Thailand, and the area literally abounds with builders merchants and DIY stores who specialize in supplying materials to them. Your best bet is to ask them for info on your glass requirements, but don't be surprised if they haven't got the foggiest idea what a BSI standard is.

I used light green tinted 5mm UV glass from a supplier in my village in Isaan. He was offering some stuff in various shades of blue too - it looked very nice but was about 25% more expensive.
Last edited by jazzman on Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazzman

Postby jazzman » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:53 pm

Just a correction: 5mm glass was used in the windows and 6mm glass was used for the full-length glazed doors.
It's not bulletproof, but we tried breaking some letfovers with a hammer...
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Itchy » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:49 pm

I'm going back four years now so I'm sure things have changed but at that time there was only one supplier of safety glass for buildings, and they had some very strange ordering rules. Namely, if we ordered glass cut to size, we had to pay the cost of any sheets that shattered during the cutting process.

Like WTF.

We were buying hundreds of panes of 'safety' glass to be installed within a blast proof control building and in the end decided not to mess with the local supplier and buy from overseas (Germany). The project was BOI aproved so no import taxes, and without having to put up with the Thai supplier's BS, still cheaper.
Itchy

Postby tcth » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:15 pm

I know they have many varieties of safety glass here around Pattaya, there is burglar proof, types that are bullet proof and on down the line to regular safety glass. The costs are multiples of regular glass prices. The one who knows about it is Attila, if you can PM him and get him to post info on this thread it would be helpful.
tcth
Commercial

Glass Update

Postby hkexpat » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:53 am

From my research, 5mm, toughened, tinted glass mounted in 1.8mm section aluminium seems to come in at somewhere between 3,500 baht m2 to 8,000 baht m2. For those on a pension, this is high spec. But when 1/3rd of your house is Glass it needs to be done right!

Reading the posts on this forum over the last 8 months or so, I know not everyone wants to spend big on materials. Equally, I don't want to be able to deform the aluminium with my bare hands or, have my kid in intensive care because the glass breaks into dangerous pieces when he runs into the door by accident (which will happen). So I post this as information to all.

HKexpat
hkexpat

Postby jazzman » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:57 pm

Yes, that's about right. Jazzman bought the best aluminium his local manufacturer was able offer. The guy said "If you want better, you'll have to import it. If you import it, you'll probably end up installing it yourself".
It's installed now, and looks very nice and feels very chunky.

Actual cost for a sliding 150 x 120 window, 5mm green tinted glass, 1.5mm aluminium, white enameled, fly screen: 2,777.77 per sq.m.
Including installation.

Actual cost for a fixed pane 150 x 120 window, 5mm green tinted glass, 1.5mm aluminium, white enameled. 1,388.88 per sq.m.
Including installation.

Actual cost for a fully glazed shop type front door, 300 x 215 4-pane, 2-sliding pane front door, same quality used in the hospital in Ban Phue, 6mm green tinted glass, 1.5mm aluminium, white enammeled, special quality suspended running gear. Fly screen.
Including installation: 2,480.62 per sq.m.

The Dimensions quoted are the overall dimensions. The box section all round is 5cm. A thick rubber seal fits round the edges of the glass and the pane is inserted 2cm into a slot in the aluminium frame.

On the total order (12 windows, 2 very wide sliding doors, 2 swing doors) the 200 x 100 3-section louvred kitchen was given free. Any one gets better prices than this, please let us all know.

As with all building materials, the words cheap and expensive are relative.
Cheap is far from always low quality, in fact it is usually the styartting point f what is totally acceptable. Nobody actually makes anythiing which would be so substandard as to be totally useless. Expensive is the degree of luxury one is prepared to pay for above what is absolutely necessary, like gold plated bathroom taps. [/i]

For doors and windows, there are many, much cheaper solutions then Jazzman's.
If high security and high safety are major issues, then one must of course expect to pay significantly more. A link has already been ported to a website which gives more information.
The designers of most housing development (housing estate) projects will not invest in quality that exceeds that of Jazzman's, and in the Udon area, 1.2 mm aluminium is standard and 4mm glass for windows.

Finally, if you are not sure of the strength you need, just go and see some of it, in the workshop, and already installed. Come and see Jazzman's if you like. it's a long way from Pattaya though :)

For full details on ALUMINIUM DOORS AND WINDOWS, follow this thread:

http://coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=671&sid=77a74645b0f48d5417cd1a3a74d3561a
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Return to windows and doors