PVC Windows and Doors

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: PVC Windows and Doors

Postby sirineou » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:17 am

No AC ? I don't like those windows that much LOL I think I will go with PVC or aluminum brown or wood tone windows.and put sera-wood or similar on the bottom to simulate the look .
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:42 am

sirineou wrote:We should start building This fall and will start a tread as we get closer, but I was reading this thread and have the flowing question concerning windows.
I have the plans for the house it is a traditional design and it calls for wood windows which I like the look but I am sure are not energy eficient
this is a picture of them from the inside from some one who was already build this home. :
Not in Thailand right now to go places and research this , but what if any options that would preserve to look but is more energy efficient and any other thoughts.

As long as you only want the look of the doors it is perfectly doable. You will have to have the doors custom built as you will have to use IGU's and no standard doors have them. I know someone near Udon who had doors built near Chang Mai and they are double glazed so as energy efficient as you can get with a large glass area.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:52 am

oil wrote:however for me.. those windows would be unthinkable of... so if you consider running ever A/C there is literally no difference if you have those windws or the doors open.
however if you dont need A/C they will be just fine..

That would only be true if you go the cheap or standard Thai route. It is perfectly possible to have doors with that look built that will close properly and seal correctly. You will be paying 4 to 7 times the cheaper door price of course and quite possibly more than a UPVC door. The supplier will have custom build the doors and frames and you will have to sure that the wood is properly dry, but you can have the look without the problems.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby oil » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:34 am

agree on that :D
oil

Postby sirineou » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:24 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
oil wrote:however for me.. those windows would be unthinkable of... so if you consider running ever A/C there is literally no difference if you have those windws or the doors open.
however if you dont need A/C they will be just fine..

That would only be true if you go the cheap or standard Thai route. It is perfectly possible to have doors with that look built that will close properly and seal correctly. You will be paying 4 to 7 times the cheaper door price of course and quite possibly more than a UPVC door. The supplier will have custom build the doors and frames and you will have to sure that the wood is properly dry, but you can have the look without the problems.

That's good to hear, and the answer I was looking for. I do like the look and I dont mind spending extra to have them made properly. We are in the Khon kaen area just outside the ring road. Anyone know of such place in the KK area. I am beginning to generate a portfolio of contacts for when I am ready to build and I appreciate all leads.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby kmanonmaui » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:22 am

fyi, I have my request for quotes in on both the windows (Prime Asia) and Shera Boards for: 1) Exterior, before waterproofing and stucco work; 2) Interior walls; 3) Sub-Floor and 4) Ceiling. Appears that Shera has a nice range of boards and I may even go with them for the "fake" wood flooring as I am just not a concrete floor guy. I'll let you all know what I find out. Below is what I asked quote for on the Shera boards and I'll also post/attach the pictures and sizes of the windows I want to get. I am hoping they can do the screens...or at least their windows have the place to put in a screen.

Here is what I asked a quote for:
Shera Wall Board
Material Code: BCS001204800001
1.2cm x 1.2m x 2.4m (2.88 sm per board coverage)

- Exterior (2x(10m x 3m))+ (2x(21m x 3m))=60sm + 126sm=186sm + 15% = 216sm = 75 boards
- Interior Estimate: 75 boards x 2 = 150 boards
- Total = 225 boards. Add 25 = 250 boards

=========================================================================================

Shera Floor Board
Material Code: BDS002004800001
2.0cm x 1.2m x 2.4m (2.88 sm per board coverage)

- Interior (10m x 21m) = 210sm + 15% = 242sm
- 242/2.88 = 84 boards, add 6 = 90 boards

=========================================================================================

Shera Ceiling "T-bar" White Ceiling Board
Material Code: BCS003252401911
3.2cm x 59.5cm x 119.5cm (0.711sm)

- Interior: 10m x 21m=210sm + 15% = 242sm
- 242/0.711 = 340 boards

Attachments
WindowOrder.pdf
(61.16 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
kmanonmaui

Location: Maui, Hawaii, USA and Kut Chap, Udon Thani, Thailand

Postby oil » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:38 pm

keep us updated about the quotation for the windows,
oil

Postby Klondyke » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:09 pm

Double or single glass windows?
The double glass is very essential once you have quite a big difference of the inside and outside temperature. From my long time experience in Thailand even in northern areas you will not get more than ca. 7 deg.

And that only if you keep the whole house throughout the day perfectly closed and at night all the windows open to cool down the house. And that only if you do it by yourself, no Thai people will do it. And this only can succeed during certain (quit a short) season, not in the hot season for which you want to have the double glass.

I doubt that a (Thai) house is cooled down by a/c throughout 24 h and kept fully closed. Then only, the temperature difference inside and outside would make a sense for installing the double glassing.

So, if you consider the cost of such perfect windows (B20 - 25,000/pc), and a simple one (3- 4,000), with 10 windows?

A good help when running a/c at night is a heavy curtain, improving the insulation of the single glass window.
Klondyke

Postby kmanonmaui » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:35 pm

Klondyke wrote:Double or single glass windows?
The double glass is very essential once you have quite a big difference of the inside and outside temperature. From my long time experience in Thailand even in northern areas you will not get more than ca. 7 deg.

And that only if you keep the whole house throughout the day perfectly closed and at night all the windows open to cool down the house. And that only if you do it by yourself, no Thai people will do it. And this only can succeed during certain (quit a short) season, not in the hot season for which you want to have the double glass.

I doubt that a (Thai) house is cooled down by a/c throughout 24 h and kept fully closed. Then only, the temperature difference inside and outside would make a sense for installing the double glassing.

So, if you consider the cost of such perfect windows (B20 - 25,000/pc), and a simple one (3- 4,000), with 10 windows?

A good help when running a/c at night is a heavy curtain, improving the insulation of the single glass window.

18 Windows, not 10. All double pane; all with screens (if they can supply). My wife has lived with me in the US for the last 4 1/2 years; she is Thai; she will do what you say "not Thai people will do it" :-) I never said I intended to keep it closed up during day and open at night. Depends on the season. Will have splits in all rooms except kitchen; whole home fan. Likely will use the bedroom splits during a hot night and the WHF during the med warm nights and probably nothing at all Dec-Feb...at least that has been my experience so far in Kut Chap. Yea, I would pay 25k over 4k to get what I want. But that's just me. There is no right or wrong answer; it is personal preference often dictated by available funds. Like the idea of heavy curtains...may try that out.
kmanonmaui

Postby kmanonmaui » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:25 am

Klondyke wrote:A good help when running a/c at night is a heavy curtain, improving the insulation of the single glass window.

Maybe I cut a deal with SomeTimesWoodWorker to come make me some custom inside shutters !!! Now that would be sweet!
kmanonmaui

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:59 am

kmanonmaui wrote:Will have splits in all rooms except kitchen; whole home fan. Likely will use the bedroom splits during a hot night and the WHF during the med warm nights and probably nothing at all Dec-Feb...at least that has been my experience so far in Kut Chap.

You will probably want at least one, in the master bedroom, that is a reversible one for the coldest part of the cold season. The top of the range ones will include that function. Accidentally both of our currently installed ones have that. The temperature can get uncomfortably cold for a while in February, we have had to use down jackets on a few mornings.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby kmanonmaui » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:24 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:You will probably want at least one, in the master bedroom, that is a reversible one for the coldest part of the cold season. The top of the range ones will include that function. Accidentally both of our currently installed ones have that. The temperature can get uncomfortably cold for a while in February, we have had to use down jackets on a few mornings.

Makes sense. Was there in Feb. the year before last and was like 15c-16c in the am. Having that feature would be a lot better than getting a small space heater. Thanks!
kmanonmaui

Postby Klondyke » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:21 pm

kmanonmaui wrote:Was there in Feb. the year before last and was like 15c-16c in the am. Having that feature would be a lot better than getting a small space heater. Thanks!

For those months I have a fireplace (cheminee), enjoying the feeling of the live flames every evening.
Klondyke

Postby Klondyke » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:39 pm

kmanonmaui wrote:18 Windows, not 10. All double pane; Yea, I would pay 25k over 4k to get what I want. But that's just me. There is no right or wrong answer; it is personal preference often dictated by available funds.

This is surely true. My remarks are for the ones who do not have enough of the available funds, or for those whos wife wants to get also one or two diamond rings (for a cooler feeling). :D

In the season when the a/c is needed most the whole house construction is warmed up to ca. 35 deg., even with a proper insulation of the outer walls. So, all the walls (and other objects as furniture) are giving off their accumulated heat to the inside space till late night. Unlike the windows that do not have the absorbing capacity. And their area is just a few procents to the area of the heat transmitting walls (and ceiling).

Hence the savings at the windows installation may better serve for the more comfortable a/c over few years long.
Klondyke

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:53 pm

Klondyke wrote:
kmanonmaui wrote:Was there in Feb. the year before last and was like 15c-16c in the am. Having that feature would be a lot better than getting a small space heater. Thanks!

For those months I have a fireplace (cheminee), enjoying the feeling of the live flames every evening.

I've spent too many years dealing with the dust and dirt created by an open fire to put one in the house and If I want the smell of a wood fire and everyone else has them
Sometimewoodworker

PreviousNext

Return to windows and doors