best way to protect Mai Takien windows

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

best way to protect Mai Takien windows

Postby smeestu » Thu May 26, 2011 10:17 am

Hello again all
Just got delivery of some nicely made Mai Takien windows and door frames my question is what is the best products to coat the wood with is it best to give them a coat of wood preserver first or just go straight to polyurethane coat or how about teak oils etc any thoughts would be much appreciated
smeestu

Re: best way to protect Mai Takien windows

Postby sezze » Thu May 26, 2011 11:42 pm

Protecting wood is always on the same base , no matter what kind of wood it is . There can be a difference for some kinds of wood in preparation of the surface due to a high oil / dense surface .
As far as i know , it is a class 4 hardwood and is resistant to about anything ( no treatment needed , but it is always better )
If you want the color to stay and show the grain , teak oil is the best . Remember that this is the most work since it has to be repeated at least 1 time a year and better 2 times a year .
Staining is showing the grain but changes the color . The amount of change is dependent on the color of the stain . Stain also brings a gloss on the surface ( depending again on the stain itself ) .
Urethane ( and i am not sure about this ) is the follower from varnish . In that case it does not change the color but also adds a gloss .
Last type is paint and IMHO is a shame on nice or even on any kind of wood , since the grain is hidden behind a nice color , but it can be any color you want .

It is completely up to you what you want since all the techniques give more or less the same protection but the finish is completely different . When fully exposed to the elements i would recommend staining or urethane since the layer you put on top does really seal the wood . Teak oil will also do this but to a lesser amount , since this gets adsorbed by the wood .
sezze

Re: best way to protect Mai Takien windows

Postby smeestu » Fri May 27, 2011 1:54 am

sezze wrote:Protecting wood is always on the same base , no matter what kind of wood it is . There can be a difference for some kinds of wood in preparation of the surface due to a high oil / dense surface .
As far as i know , it is a class 4 hardwood and is resistant to about anything ( no treatment needed , but it is always better )
If you want the color to stay and show the grain , teak oil is the best . Remember that this is the most work since it has to be repeated at least 1 time a year and better 2 times a year .
Staining is showing the grain but changes the color . The amount of change is dependent on the color of the stain . Stain also brings a gloss on the surface ( depending again on the stain itself ) .
Urethane ( and i am not sure about this ) is the follower from varnish . In that case it does not change the color but also adds a gloss .
Last type is paint and IMHO is a shame on nice or even on any kind of wood , since the grain is hidden behind a nice color , but it can be any color you want .

It is completely up to you what you want since all the techniques give more or less the same protection but the finish is completely different . When fully exposed to the elements i would recommend staining or urethane since the layer you put on top does really seal the wood . Teak oil will also do this but to a lesser amount , since this gets adsorbed by the wood .

Thanks for the reply been looking at toa products ,used there paint out here and its been very good .
Will go with a stain i think just wasn't sure about using anything before of after the the stain but as you say the stain effectively seals the wood that should be good enough for the job and i agree it definitely would be a shame to lose the grain by just painting it
smeestu

Return to windows and doors