Wood for sliding doors issues

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Wood for sliding doors issues

Postby sezze » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:35 pm

I've been up to a few things and now is the time come to have the wood for the doors ( multiple sliding doors , outside and inside the house ) . Teak ( mai sak ) is out of the question due to price issues . Mai takien is out of the question for the family because it houses ghosts ( :roll: ). A trip to the workshop they offered me mai yang ... which is basically rubberwood and not good for outdoors . It is also the stuff that every Thai uses according to the family . Searching along i came across mai deng , and for some strange reason i do find many different things about it . According to several sources , latin name is Xylia xylocarpa and it has very good properties and it should be easily available at low price . However other sources here tell me that this is the cheapest stuf available and avoided if possible . I asked the family and they do not know this kind of wood ( everybody is using mai yang ) . What's the story about it ??
2nd
Fittings , the shop only works with Hafele fittings and the have 3 categories , low , medium and high standard . for the medium it is about 2500 to 3000 baht a door ( double sliding ) . Is this the stuff most people use in here ? Low cat is about 1500 baht and high is 4000 up . I'm according to life expectency and sturdiness .
3th The glass shop told me a price for 6mm green tinted glass at 93baht a sqft . Is 6mm the way to go , since 5mm is not available according to the shop . The windows/doors will be paved ( correct ???) having 3 or 4 horizontal sections ,so the glass inside will never be bigger then 70/90 max .
sezze

Re: Wood for sliding doors issues

Postby dozer » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:04 pm

Searching along i came across mai deng , and for some strange reason i do find many different things about it . According to several sources , latin name is Xylia xylocarpa and it has very good properties and it should be easily available at low price . However other sources here tell me that this is the cheapest stuf available and avoided if possible . I asked the family and they do not know this kind of wood ( everybody is using mai yang ) . What's the story about it ??

I see it used in flooring in some nice condos, it is somewhat cheaper than Mai Sak (Teak) but not that much. I personally like the red wood furniture which is sold all over the place. A small bed cost about 7000 baht several years ago and recently priced a new large bed which was like 15000. A teak bed was over 20k. The bed of several years ago is still in great condition. The prices go Mai Sak ไม้สัก, Mai Ma Ka ไม้มะค่า then Mai Daeng ไม้แดง. Mai PraDu ประดู่ is about the same price/quality as Mai Daeng. Termites don't eat Mai Sak but can eat the others depending on age of wood.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby sezze » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:12 am

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=105&start=0

On this post you said that mai daeng is ok for windows , but medium quality / mai yang or rubberwood is better then mai daeng . Maybe ... but i'm not sure you were meaning mai teng ( translation issues ) which in fact is also a softer kind of wood . Mai Dang or daeng as is xylia xylocarpas is known as a premium hardwood , hence the english name ironwood , am i correct about this ? The name mai nua keng is familiar with the family and they will check on the prices for me ( i'm not in Thailand at the moment ) .
Termites , according to a poster somewhere , termites even like teak if it is old and dry enough . As long as it lasts more then 15 years without a serious problem then i'm happy . Rubberwood is used everywhere and that showes serious aging just about everywhere i go ... but many houses are in place more then 20 years without any protection of the wood :? . The shop did tell me , and this confirms most of the things i read , use good paint for the mai yang . I'll keep you informed on the search ... thx .
sezze

Postby canopy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:09 pm

sezze wrote:http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=105&start=0
Termites , according to a poster somewhere , termites even like teak if it is old and dry enough

Ironically those are actually properties of teak that make it termite proof. If teak is wet it is soft and possibly rotting and more easily eaten. If teak is harvested young it has not yet developed the natural oils that deter termites and is mostly consists of the softer sapwood. In order for teak to resist termites it needs to be from trees that are 15 years or older, kept dry, and only the heartwood used, sapwood discarded. The heartwood is orange to brown and the sapwood white to yellow.

Mai deng is very, very dense, heavy, and tough. I've seen it used for house posts that are kept dry that has lasted for generations. I've also seen it in a relatively new install that gets wet and has termites in it. This type of wood is very common and surely every Thai knows this wood. Show any that don't the Thai spelling.
canopy

Postby dozer » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:53 pm

mai nua keng is familiar with the family
good point on possible translation issues confusion. Mai nua keng ไม้เนื้อแข็ง is a generic term for hardwood which doesn't specify the actual species, it is a wide grouping of woods which are characterized as 'hard'. Mai = wood, nua = body or meat keng = hard. Normally cheaper than the specific species of woods previously listed as it is a mix of convenient woods.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby sezze » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:10 am

After a lot of looking on the internet , it looks that i'm 100% sure that i want mai daeng . Biggest issue will be the price which i still have to figure out .
needed will be ,
160x200 ( 4 pieces , so 8 doors 80x200)
200x200 ( 3 pieces , so 6 doors 100x200)
windows and inner doors could be different ( read cheaper ) wood and are not so important , since there aren't a lot of them . As construction i will use something i haven't seen around yet , but is easily done . They would be sliding on the outside of the wall , and the rails will be going all around the house. I will show you the part where they are now in a couple of days .
sezze

Return to windows and doors