Re-Spraying Aluminium frames

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re-Spraying Aluminium frames

Postby rovingdave » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:01 pm

Hi all.

On my house renovation, for some bizarre reason the original owners had windows at the sides and the back of the house put in too low for the walls. Believe it or not i'm a bit of a short a@se yet i had to bend over a bit to look out the windows. Plenty wall space for them to put the windows in properly so unless they were midgets i can't understand the reasoning. I have had them all bricked up and have put in nice dormer windows in the bungalow roof instead. However, i digress.

The windows at the front of the house and the sliding door behind the wooden front door are all properly positioned and the windows and aluminium frames all in perfect condition except the frames are all brown. (I think it was said that they only come in about 4 different colours here but believe me, these are a horrible shade of brown and the coating has been properly applied not just hand painted over.

What i would like to know is, is it possible to have these frames repainted? What would be the prep for this? Could i use a grinder/sander whilst they are in position and use tins of spray or would this turn out like a dogs dinner? Would i have to take out the windows and sliding door and mask the windows and have them properly blasted and spray painted? Would this be cost effective or should i just buy new aluminium windows with with white epoxy paint? Windows are 1.5mtr x 1mtr and sliding door is approx 2mtr x 1.5mtr. It just seems a shame to bin perfectly good windows but the no way am i keeping brown ones.

Thanks
Dave B
rovingdave

Re: Re-Spraying Aluminium frames

Postby geordie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:39 pm

aluminium is normally anodiized or powder coated so you can paint over it easily using an etching primer if its available over there however it never turns out satisfactory at the end of the day i would be inclined to replace them at least you should be able to save the glass its less mucking about and should be a better finish than an aerosol
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby kknaj » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:20 pm

I know what you mean by the ugly brown colour. I cant stand it. People actually choose that colour here for some new builds I've seen. Since these style windows are so cheap I would probably replace them too. Donate the old ones or sell them cheap. If they are in good condition I'm sure some thai village family would love them :)

I've also seen the short windows you are taking about with the slopped roof. Its an old and very stupid/ugly design I've seen in Khon Kaen too. I wouldn't choose that design any day of the week. Its difficult to see how to fix that design issue. Will be interesting to see what you come up with.
kknaj

Postby rovingdave » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:55 am

Thanks guys,

Yeah i have looked at many of the posts and i figure i shall just have new windows made with new frames. I have always fancied a green tint anyway so it looks like these will all be winging there way North to my father in law as a Christmas present. I'm sure he will find use for them.

Thanks again

Dave B
rovingdave

Return to windows and doors