Skylight Tubes

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Skylight Tubes

Postby Super8man » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:48 pm

Hi, has anyone used one of these
Its a light pipe that fits into the roof and reflects light down to the ceiling. Reason for using them is one of the house plans we are looking at the upstairs landing area is in the centre of the house with no windows, plus we could also use one in the bathrooms.
The websites http://www.solatube.co.uk/Residential/s ... /index.php says they are double glazed so shouldn't transfer too much heat. They are available in Thailand http://www.solatube.com/international/thail.php
Reading the info you can also incorporate electric lighting and extractor fans. I would like to see them in use before we committed to using them though.
Best Wishes

David & No Tik now so sad
Super8man

Re: Skylight Tubes

Postby brent roberts » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:35 am

greetings from down under. Used a few in houses here in nz they do give you good light but dont know about the heat in thailand. The ones we use you can dim down the amount of light you get so this may help. all the best.
brent roberts

Postby MGV12 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:53 am

Super8man wrote:Hi, has anyone used one of these
Image.

I have installed several tubes from this company in the UK and they work very well when installed correctly. I can confirm that they do not introduce significant heat and would also recommend the the option of an integral lamp; I fitted one with a solar-switched LED lamp for minimal running costs. Trouble is these light tubes are quite expensive ... several hundred £'s in the UK ..... maybe worth considering LED lighting for the space you have in mind as the installation cost would be much lower and the running costs minimal.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Super8man » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:46 pm

MGV12 wrote:I have installed several tubes from this company in the UK and they work very well when installed correctly. I can confirm that they do not introduce significant heat and would also recommend the the option of an integral lamp; I fitted one with a solar-switched LED lamp for minimal running costs. Trouble is these light tubes are quite expensive ... several hundred £'s in the UK ..... maybe worth considering LED lighting for the space you have in mind as the installation cost would be much lower and the running costs minimal.

Thanks for the info had a look at the prices they do seem a quite expensive. Looking at the design of house we like it 'should' only need one in the first floor landing area. Bathrooms could have a window high up.
Best Wishes

David & No Tik now so sad
Super8man

Postby Ians » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:49 pm

Yes they are expensive from Solatube Thailand.

Does anyone know if there is anyone in Thailand making something similar at a reasonable price..
Ians

Return to windows and doors