Louvred Windows

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Louvred Windows

Postby grant » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:47 am

I plan to use louvred windows extensively in my villa. I'm trying to source good quality louvred windows in Thailand but so far have only been able to find in Phuket the inexpensive and cheaply made aluminium type that you see in all of the local houses. I'm sure that good quality louvred windows are available in or around Bangkok or Chiang Mai so any help would be appreciated.
grant

Postby Nawty » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:05 pm

There is an aussie company in bkk doing it, they looked very good quality, also expensive though.

http://www.thaiaust.com/
Nawty

Postby grant » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:09 pm

Nawty wrote:There is an aussie company in bkk doing it, they looked very good quality, also expensive though.

http://www.thaiaust.com/

Yes, I have a quotation from them and they are expensive at about 7,000 baht per square meter installed.
grant

Postby jazzman » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:29 pm

This 2 x 1 m louvred window is constructed of the same heavy duty aluminium used for all the windows and exterior sliding and hinged doors. We insisted on quality winder mechanisms. The glass is 6mm one-way, reflective, black UV. It includes sliding fly screens.
Can't say the cost - it was offered as a free bonus by our supplier, but based on the calculations for all the other elements of our order, I would guess it's worth about 8,000 baht; just because we are farangs, not everything of quality has to come from an international company and be horribly expensive. All our windows and doors were custom built, measured, constructed, and installed on site. Prices included installation, and were significantly lower than any products of a comparable quality, non-custom built, from Global, HomePro, or HomeMart.

If you are interested in an alternative to aluminium, check out these extremely high-quality vinyl windows.
Based near Pattaya and farang owned, they made the windows for the King's office in his palace in Hua Hin.

If you will be installing louvred windows extensively and will be using aircon, remember that when closed, they will never afford a perfect air-tight seal.
jazzman

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:36 pm

I just went "window shopping" in Chiang Mai today (5 hours total!). I did not see anything else than the standard louvred windows.... je regrette...

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby jazzman » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:36 am

If there are three manufacturers within a few kilometres of a tiny village like mine, there are sure to be some in a huge city like Chiang Mai. You won't find them on the High Street though. You'll have to do what I do: see a shop front or an office building, or even a private house that has the kind of thing that you are looking for, and go in and ask where they got them.
jazzman

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:21 am

Oh, I am sure they are available in Chiang Mai. I just didn't see them as they aren't that common. I was looking for aluminium sliding doors/windows and wooden windows, as well as soffits (so many decisions to make...). But jazzman's "gate crashing" strategy sounds as if it might lead to the aim quickly.

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby jazzman » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:23 am

With the exception of my academic career - which was all about finding things out then communicating them effectively to others who want to know - that's how I learned a lot of things: by doggedly leaving neither stone unturned, nor gates, doors nor windows unopened until I got what I was looking for :twisted:
If my picture (or those on my album) even remotely represent what you and Grant are looking for, you could try printing it/them out and taking them with you on your research. If the print quality is not good, don't hesitate to PM me for photos of a higher resolution :D
jazzman

Postby grant » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:10 am

Jazzman, thanks for the info. This may be what I'm looking for but I would like a bit more detail if you don't mind posting a few more pics:

1. Close up of the clips where the glass sections fit into the aluminium frames.

2. Close up of the winding mechanism. The wall I plan to use the louvres on is 2.5m high and 8m wide so I will need to stack them probably 3 sections high and 4-5 wide. With levers for opening instead of the widing mechanisms, I can then connect the levers and open/close 3 vertical sections at once. This may not be possible but by seeing the mechanism close-up, I should be able to get a good idea if it's possible.

Do your louvres lock in the closed position? Thefts are common here through louvred windows by simply prying them open from the outside and then removing the glass panes. The louvres offered by Thai-Aus are locked in the closed position and make access extremely difficult.

Do your louvres leak when exposed to wind and rain? The wall I'm planning to use them on is very exposed. I'm not concerned about them sealing for a/c because the room is not air conditioned but I would hate for them to leak on to the timber floors below.
grant

Postby jazzman » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:53 pm

I'm afraid I just do not have time at the moment to take and post new pics.
The louvres do not leak, but the house was designed so that the side of the house they are on does not take the most severe batterings from the weather. They don't lock, and it would be relatively easy for a thief to prize the glass out of the clips. You would either need burgler grating on the outside to prevent that, or radar, IR, or laser motion detector beams if you don't want to spoil the look of the place. I've been looking into motion detectors, and they will in fact work out cheaper than having physical barriers built to order.

In my opinion you are in for a more expensive solution than the window I had made.
jazzman

Postby chiangmaiexpat » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:30 pm

I have considered louvred windows for a while, but I decided against them, because they are difficult to clean and because I prefer the look of large glass surfaces. I am currently pondering the merits of white alu sliding windows vs. "traditional" hinged wooden windows. I am drawing the facades using different window models to see what looks best. Also experimenting with transom windows, lintels, sills and different casements.

Cheers, CMX
chiangmaiexpat

Postby thaifly » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:09 pm

jazzman wrote:If there are three manufacturers within a few kilometres of a tiny village like mine, there are sure to be some in a huge city like Chiang Mai. You won't find them on the High Street though. You'll have to do what I do: see a shop front or an office building, or even a private house that has the kind of thing that you are looking for, and go in and ask where they got them.
gidday to the great jazzman...just to confirm the above re ....window and louvre..sliding etc etc there are ample suppliers to the above in c/mai and as said in a prior post my supplier came up trumps for me in price..installation...and friendly service... FAIR DINKUM C.N.X TAKE YOUR BLINKERS OFF.....there are heaps around....in c/mai...its a window maker gidday to all its the thaifly from mae rim
thaifly

Re: Louvred Windows

Postby thaifly » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:15 pm

grant wrote:I plan to use louvred windows extensively in my villa. I'm trying to source good quality louvred windows in Thailand but so far have only been able to find in Phuket the inexpensive and cheaply made aluminium type that you see in all of the local houses. I'm sure that good quality louvred windows are available in or around Bangkok or Chiang Mai so any help would be appreciated.
gidday grant..its the thaifly from mae rim...matey if you go to my photo gallery....picture one ...timber floorb u will notice in the background the louvers we put in the stair case wall to give us good ventalation .....grant the size is approx170 c.m....130 c.m we used the white epoxy aluminium around the perimeter of the frame the put in good quality louvers screwed to this frame the glass we used was SOLAR TAG...which is approx 3 times the price of normal redflective glass....we have 3 light metal rods connected to the louvers....to open and shut...accordingly...the louvers face more to the west where we get the worst of the bad weather from..and to date no leaks at all... i took a careful boo peep at them last nite and came to the conclusion that they are a neat and tidy job far from being a eyesore and do the most important job of all ventalating your rooom ........they are readily available in c/mai....and the price is not expensive at all .....i hope i have explained what i have.....as I AM DUMB AS THEY COME. in building terms ...but more than make up for it in in getting good prices etc ets most times that is ...its a louver gidday to all its the thaifly from mae rim
thaifly

Re: Louvred Windows

Postby grant » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:42 pm

Thaifly,

You hit the nail on the head. This is what I'm looking for. Getting the frames made from good quality aluminium should be easy enough but finding good quality louvres with opening rods or that can be modified for opening rods will be the challenge here. You guys near Chiang Mai and Bangkok have it so easy :wink:
grant

Postby jazzman » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:35 pm

- an' whaddabout me with not even a 7-Eleven closer than 40 km :cry:

ThaiFly, your window looks very similar to mine, but I too am interested in your louvre mechanism. Perhaps you would have time to make some close ups and post them...
jazzman

Next

Return to windows and doors