Disaster or Not

Floods, droughts, tsunami's and other natural disasters affecting coolthaihouse.members.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Disaster or Not

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:42 am

So is it a disaster or not?

Rise of the Machines: Keep an eye on AI, experts warn

http://news.yahoo.com/rise-machines-kee ... 31032.html
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Re: Disaster or Not

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:15 am

BKKBILL wrote:Rise of the Machines: Keep an eye on AI, experts warn

Without wanting to piss on the "experts" parade I seem to recall the same sort of statements when robotic machinery was installed in every car factory in the world..... thousands to lose jobs etc etc and even before that when the tractor was invented. All done by humans I might add.
The Japanese are far more advanced in that field and actually have carers for the elderly. In fact I wouldn't mind one to make me coffee and tea in the morning and learn how to get it just right.
If it gets out of hand then we just throw the switch and shut it down.
Don't worry, if Microsoft is involved it will alwys be crashing and offline updating itself. :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:17 am

BKKBILL wrote:So is it a disaster or not?

Rise of the Machines: Keep an eye on AI, experts warn

http://news.yahoo.com/rise-machines-kee ... 31032.html

The brightest human minds focus on developing 'artificial intelligence' that incorporates their own capabilities ... meanwhile other brightest minds, and collectives, vie to do likewise.

Little doubt that the resultant AI could incorporate the best of the best and then, unbridled by human limitations, evolve to be better. :D :) :(

http://uk.businessinsider.com/google-de ... dol-2016-3

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:55 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:If it gets out of hand then we just throw the switch and shut it down.
Don't worry, if Microsoft is involved it will always be crashing and offline updating itself. :lol:

Now I agree with you with Windows :mrgreen: but I would be careful about AI since most things are now controlled by computers with more added daily don't you think the plug could be pulled on us. If not soon surly in the not too distant future.

Some of the most respected scientists think artificially intelligent computing will eventually come into it's own. Then what?

This is interesting.

http://www.wired.com/2016/03/sadness-be ... i-play-go/
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:47 pm

android-apple-wallpaper.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:12 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Some of the most respected scientists think artificially intelligent computing will eventually come into it's own. Then what?

Then, the human body with all it's frailties, like cancer, dementia, arthritis and a host of other unexplained diseases, may not be so frail after all. And you'll read, instead of a human army going to war, it will be an AI army.
Is it a good thing? Think of all the good it could do, all we have to do is keep it out of the hands of North Korea and other such places, but then they get help from China, and Russia, if they run into technical difficulties and want to reunify Korea the nuclear way. I actually argued all this out with my retired English maths teaching mate last night at tea and it came down to what if, what if, what if.
I think we need to redefine morals first.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:45 pm

A South Korean Go grandmaster has scored his first win over a Google-developed supercomputer, in a surprise victory after three humiliating defeats in a high-profile showdown between man and machine.

Key points:

Lee Se-Dol beats AlphaGo after nail-biting, five-hour match
Google supercomputer had, until now, been undefeated
Chinese game considered the "Mount Everest" for AI scientists
Lee Se-Dol thrashed AlphaGo after a nail-biting match that lasted for nearly five hours — the fourth of the best-of-five series in which the computer clinched a 3-0 victory on Saturday.

Mr Lee struggled in the early phase of the fourth match, but gained a lead towards the end, eventually prompting AlphaGo to resign.

The 33-year-old is one of the greatest players in modern history of the ancient board game, with 18 international titles to his name — the second most in the world.
Full story http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-13/h ... go/7243434
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:04 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:A South Korean Go grandmaster has scored his first win over a Google-developed supercomputer, in a surprise victory after three humiliating defeats in a high-profile showdown between man and machine.

Key points:

Lee Se-Dol beats AlphaGo after nail-biting, five-hour match
Google supercomputer had, until now, been undefeated
Chinese game considered the "Mount Everest" for AI scientists
Lee Se-Dol thrashed AlphaGo after a nail-biting match that lasted for nearly five hours — the fourth of the best-of-five series in which the computer clinched a 3-0 victory on Saturday.

Mr Lee struggled in the early phase of the fourth match, but gained a lead towards the end, eventually prompting AlphaGo to resign.

The 33-year-old is one of the greatest players in modern history of the ancient board game, with 18 international titles to his name — the second most in the world.
Full story http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-13/h ... go/7243434

Good to see Lee Se-Dol won the fourth match ... that makes him 3-1 down in a 5 game series.

Another hint as to what our future holds:

This robot can also interpret human emotions. Much more to come ................

MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:10 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Don't worry, if Microsoft is involved it will alwys be crashing and offline updating itself. :lol:

It's not good RR It's just getting started.

Microsoft AI Is Learning Via Minecraft

One small step for a Minecraft character is one giant leap for artificial intelligence.

The Microsoft Research team in New York City spends its days trying to train an AI agent to learn how to complete virtual functions using the same resources humans have when learning a new task.

Running the new AIX platform—developed in Redmond's Cambridge, England, lab—five computer scientists use the Minecraft world as a testing ground.

The artificial intelligence agent starts with no knowledge of its surroundings, or what it is meant to accomplish. It needs to think for itself to understand the environment, and determine what is important—like going uphill—and what isn't—like the time of day.

The rest here

http://asia.pcmag.com/console-games-pro ... -minecraft
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:48 pm

BKKBILL wrote:It's not good RR It's just getting started.

Most good games now come with very little instructions on how to play them, it's a matter of learning as you go now, which makes it much more fun and there are even idiots like me who get invited to test the strategy games for authenticity so that you can't have a German Leopard tank in the 13th century.
I've long wondered why disabled veterans can't be gainfully employed testing games for the large companies like EA Games instead of them employing kids with little or no knowledge who just know how to write programs (incorrectly I might add).
If we look at the advances in computing over the last 10 years in engineering alone there's not much to be scared of really.
Look at planes that now are switched to auto pilot minutes after take-off and can land by themselves, given that the same airport technology is available at the other end. All the pilot does is run checks the whole time and updates weather reports.
Now all they have to do is fix the software in the F35 (10 years behind schedule and budget overblown by billions) and they might just have a winner. It's like the stealth bomber that has to become non-stealth every 10 minutes by opening its bomb bay doors to cool the system down, but don't tell the Russians or heaven forbid the North Koreans. And whatever you do don't tell countries with over the horizon radar systems like Australia because they already know. :lol:
But each year as Moore's Law progresses, so AI will, but it still can't think out of the box yet. The day will come though, then perhaps my Windows 10 will remember not to crash.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:20 am

What a waste of a discussion, that started about AI and degenerated into gender discrimination, so typical of today's society.
Robots will not take over the world if we set the right ethical framework and women scientists would be happier if there was cultural change and a less-demanding credential structure, Q&A panellists have said.

Key points:
Q&A discusses risks of artificial intelligence, making science a 'happier' place for women
AI is not a threat if we set the right ethical framework, molecular biologist says
Automation will bring job loss, but also job creation, Alan Finkel says
Cultural and credential structure change would make science better place for women, female panellists agree
Tom Henderson kicked off a debate about concerns around robots with his question, "Should we be worried artificial intelligence will become self-aware and take over?"

Apparently not, according to American physicist and string theorist Brian Greene, who says we should be open to change.

"Is the form of life that we're familiar with necessarily the one that we want to stick around for time immemorial?" he said.

"How about the possibility we are just in a new stage of evolution and we will migrate from this form to another form. That might be the natural order in which evolution takes place in a technical era."

He added that if he could become immortal, even if it meant becoming a "silicon-based being", he would.
Full article at: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-14/w ... py/7245770
Roger Ramjet

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:07 am

Roger Ramjet wrote: The day will come though, then perhaps my Windows 10 will remember not to crash.

But will it still be able to be called Windows then :?: :lol: as crashing seems to be a requirement.

I crash therefor I am Windows
Sometimewoodworker

Postby MGV12 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:59 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
Roger Ramjet wrote: The day will come though, then perhaps my Windows 10 will remember not to crash.

But will it still be able to be called Windows then :?: :lol: as crashing seems to be a requirement.

I crash therefor I am Windows

'Windows' has a well-deserved reputation for crashing.

I must be one of the favoured few as my Windows 7 Enterprise has never crashed once in three years of daily use.

Not to say I won't be a convert next time I fall upon a King's-ransom.

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:18 pm

Google's DeepMind artificial intelligence has secured its fourth win over a master player, in the final of a five match challenge.
Lee Se-dol, one of the world's top Go players, won just one of the matches against the AlphaGo program, missing out on the $1m prize up for grabs.
Demis Hassabis, founder of DeepMind, said the match had been the "most exciting and stressful" for his team.
Lee Se-dol said he felt "regrettable" that the competition had ended.
Google's DeepMind artificial intelligence has secured its fourth win over a master player, in the final of a five match challenge.
Lee Se-dol, one of the world's top Go players, won just one of the matches against the AlphaGo program, missing out on the $1m prize up for grabs.
Demis Hassabis, founder of DeepMind, said the match had been the "most exciting and stressful" for his team.
More at: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35810133
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:39 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Google's DeepMind artificial intelligence has secured its fourth win over a master player, in the final of a five match challenge.
More at: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35810133

I bet DeepMind would not have printed the exact same paragraph twice :lol:

MGV12

Next

Return to disasters