Water warning

Floods, droughts, tsunami's and other natural disasters affecting coolthaihouse.members.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Water warning

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:20 am

The only man with any credibility left after the last floods was Professor Seri, but the powers that be then, refuse to listen to him again, today. We have a notice in our mail box on Saturday saying that is we can reduce our water bill by 200 baht they'll give us a 10% discount, as our water bill is rarely over 200 baht anyway it seems rather a little, too late as usual.
They are now reducing pressure between 0700 hrs and 1900 hrs each day to try and control excessive use. They have also stopped all the farmers from pumping water from the klong and the rice paddies have been left to die with recently sown rice in them. Fortunately we have had enough rainfall for the crop to be just okay for harvest in a month. Normally the farmers here get three crops a year, but this year they were told and paid not to grow one at all.
Luckily we have two water tanks that can slowly fill overnight so we should be okay.
Here's the dire warning story: http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/lea ... -to-worsen
Roger Ramjet

Re: Water warning

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:50 pm

Just a word of warning for those between Ayuthia and Bangkok, there is currently severe flooding along the Chao P river and some houses (6,000) are already under water and currently the rain is horizontal here and has been for the last 4 hours. The rice paddies they couldn't get water for next to our house were harvested today and the harvesters were bogged down more than they were harvesting. It was a rotten crop anyway and should have been done 1 month ago. The klongs still haven't been cleaned out after the last floods and the housing estates have sand bags up and pumps running again.
The flood gates still haven't been repaired and if the rain keeps up we'll have to sand bag the house and move to the townhouse. The flood walls constructed after the last flood have collapsed in some areas and I have this faint suspicion that things might just get a little worse before they get better.
Roger Ramjet

Postby schuimpge » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:31 am

Might well be RR, my colleague told me last week that they are expecting 5 major storms to hit Thailand before end October. That's a prediction from mid September to end October, so guess we had 1 so far.

Was at Pathum immigration on Friday, water was about 40cm below flooding level. That's a rise of 1.5 to 2 meters compared to 4 weeks ago when I went for renewal of work permit and visa..

Your side might have more problems though, you're Nonthaburi side. Here it's Bangkok side of Pathumthani .

Good luck
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:54 am

schuimpge wrote:Good luck
Luc

Today I ventured out to go shopping as it's Sunday and little traffic on Chaeng Wattana Road at 7.30 in the morning. It's about 15 clicks to Villa where I shop for my Aussie meat pies and my first jolt of reality was as soon as I hit the highway which was like peak hour. Chaeng Wattana was a mess with 2 foot of water over some parts of the road and the entrance to the freeway was also blocked with 3 foot of water and four cars that hadn't made it through. And not a policeman in sight and not one council worker working. It is now nearly 12 midday and I have just arrived home.
It has also started to rain again and all those still blocked drains remain blocked and the klongs are full and overflowing because the gates still haven't been fixed. Now I know civil servants don't get paid much, neither do soldiers, but if this had happened in Australia heads would roll, here nothing happens and nobody takes responsibility, they just pass the buck.
Will we have another great flood? The way things look at the moment I would say people will start parking on the Expressways again. And this time I can't blame the Bangkok Gov, he's suspended. Sigh.
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:37 pm

We built our house in Mae Taeng Chiang Mai during the last flood. Have four large ponds on the property these have never been full until this year.
All are full and overflowing into the creek for about a month now with rain coming most days. It takes approximately three weeks for this water to get to BKK so if you are flooding now I can tell you a lot more is on the way.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:15 pm

BKKBILL wrote: I can tell you a lot more is on the way.

Thanks Bill, that's something to look forward to. There are also four storms predicted coming across from the South China Sea. And the humidity is so high at the moment you don't need a shower to get wet. I might go to Immigration early because they always get flooded because their klong is never cleaned out and they are part of the monkey cheeks project....never mind their computer system they just got working and they go under by 6 foot at least.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:32 pm

Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:12 am

Just another warning, my sister in law lives just outside Ayuthia and they've just moved their cars up on ramps they had built after the last Great Flood and they've had to clean out their Internet Cafe of all the computers and photocopy machines, which is now under water again.
My wife and daughter went to work this morning in chaos as all the water from yesterday was still standing in the same place.
As far as the local authorities go there has been no warnings issued and ringing them gets an engaged signal.
I went for a drive this morning and water is still draining into the broken gated, weed filled klongs, but the local farmers have their pumps running flat out pumping water from one side to the other. there is no sign of the pumps the local authorities have at their disposal.
And all the water is still to come down from the north. http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/politic ... ral-plains
My wife and daughter are staying at our townhouse just in case and I shall also be there at the first sign of water going over the roadway.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:48 pm

Another disaster in the making: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... manageable
Already the Condo just around the corner from our townhouse has it's car park basement flooded, Don Muang is under a metre of water again and now the departments responsible bicker about money, which makes me wonder just where the money they got the last time and the 36 billion baht went for flood mitigation. Well I know it was allocated, and to the army, but, as usual nothing has been done.
And all those proposed tunnels that were supposed to have been built are waiting on pumps?
Roger Ramjet

Postby schuimpge » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:03 pm

Was at Immigration Sam Khok yesterday. Nice to see the Chao Praya water just 30cm below road-level.
Next week Immigration is moving to Saint-Carlos Hospital next to Punsab Market again I guess.
Bang Pa-In is now getting flooded, so Navanakorn area next week I guess.
From there, lets see how it goes for this year.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:38 pm

schuimpge wrote:Bang Pa-In is now getting flooded, so Navanakorn area next week I guess.
From there, lets see how it goes for this year.

Cheers,
Luc

Here's the latest: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... tral-plain
To be honest it's not looking good for either side of Bangkok's northern and western regions. I have this very bad feeling that cars are going to be parked on the expressway again soon.
Why can't someone say where all the money has gone? The National Anti-corruption Commission is going after the old politicians when they should be going after the public servants and their fiefdoms. The first one I'd go for is the Irrigation Department who keeps claiming they're only saving water for the farmers.....who are under 1-2 metres of water.
Roger Ramjet

Return to disasters