2012 floods

Floods, droughts, tsunami's and other natural disasters affecting coolthaihouse.members.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: 2012 floods

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:41 pm

geordie,
Be afraid, be very very afraid. http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/3 ... ash-floods It would appear that it will arrive this weekend and the Met have a warning for two more building in the South China Sea.
All our major canals in Ban Bua Thong are still full and the gates are still locked (thank you BMA), it's as if last year's flood never happened.
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:30 pm

Seems I got out just in time.

Subsidence, low level of Bangkok hinder drainage

Jutharat Thipnampha
The Nation on Sunday October 14, 2012 1:00 am
Bangkok not only has problems with its drainage system, it also has ground subsidence, which causes land to be bowl-shaped in many areas of the capital. This caused flooding problems when it rained heavily and made drainage more difficult, a city official said recently.
Sansern Ruangrit, an engineer at the Department of Drainage and Sewerage at Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), said the capital was lower than sea level and had bowl-shaped land.

A road survey by the BMA's Public Works Department found that on average roads in Bangkok were only about one metre higher than sea level. So, when it rained heavily - more than 60 millimetres in an hour - or when the level of the Chao Phraya River was higher than two metres, Bangkokians could not avoid flooding.

Sansern said Bangkok and its neighbouring provinces were located in the Chao Phraya delta with land between 0 metres and +2 metres above mean sea level (AMSL), which was shown on four zones of a map.

The first zone was on Bangkok's Thon Buri side from Borommarat-chonnani to Rama 2 roads parallel to Kanchanaphisek road, the second was parallel to Phaholyothin Road, the third was parallel to Klong Song Canal and in Hathairat, Min Buri and Nong Chok areas, and the fourth was Bangkok areas.

"Bangkok has bowl-shaped land. Its estuary areas subside one to two centimetres per year," he said.

Phetkasem road is 1.30 AMSL, Sri Ayutthaya road is 0.06 AMSL while Suan Pakkad Palace was 0.13 AMSL, according to a record in 2009.

"We have to use pumps to pump out water from low level areas. A system to release water through a lot of canals in the capital could also help," said Sansern.

He said each residence should have "monkey cheek" areas to hold floodwater in its compound and release floodwater after it stops raining instead of get rid of flood-water from residences while public areas were still flooded.

Apart from releasing floodwater along the canals in areas west and east of Bangkok, the BMA planned to increase water release channels around Bangkok. Water pushing machines were also used to accelerate the release of floodwater into canals, he said.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:59 pm

Bill,
All of that from the BMA "experts"; the people that block their drains with sandbags that cause untold hardship to the people.
And now they expect the people to put up with the cockamamie idea of "monkey cheeks" in their residential homes. Which packet of corn flakes do these so called "experts" from the BMA get their credentials from? What a lame excuse for them not having working pumps and empty canals in the capital. I seem to recall that each year it is the same tired excuses why they caused flooding because of their incompetence. They knew all this when Bangkok was built and with billions in the yearly budget to cope with flooding, you would have thought they just might have been able to sit down and come up with something of more substance. Where would they like us to store water in my townhouse? On the roof?
As Scrooge so aptly put it: Bah, Humbug.
Roger Ramjet

Postby sirineou » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:46 pm

The millions of plastic bags clogging storm drains every time it rains does no help either.I know it is only a small part of the problem, but something need to be done about this .
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby geordie » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:35 pm

The Klong running along the 305 is doing ok ? for me anyway its natural flow is towards rangsit ? and it has actually got a good flow in that direction ! untill klong 14/15 where the pumps (now 15) are doing a great job lifting water over the gates and sending it towards nakon nayok (oposite direction) only half a dozen of the pumps were switched on when i passed but still shifting a lot of water even tough they seemed to be on low power but the klongs running at 90"dg" are now starting to lower their levels Given this area did suffer last year maybe they have some control now there are still barges with diggers on them doing dredging there are also sections where they are building up the embankment and at least 1 klong is currently having a steel gate fitted in the vicinity of where the bank is being raised
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredlk » Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:16 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredlk

Postby pattayapope » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:40 pm

This was my garden after the rains yesterday, all gone this morning and the pond is back to normal minus a few fish last seen wiggling down the road from the over flow pipe in the street[*] :lol:

PB182113.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pattayapope

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:19 am

When I see all those lovely new houses flooded ,do you think the Thai's might have known something ,building their houses up on stilts.?
Mike Judd

Postby pattayapope » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:57 am

Mike all my buildings are raised sufficiently to avoid any water damage and only rain falling inside my walled land contributes to this temporary flooding so I doubt that there would be any possibility of the buildings getting damaged. I deliberatly undersized some of my drainage system to slow the out flow for the external drainage system to cope and avoid causing any "flash floods" to the neighbours property. During the heavy rain and just after some of the roads outside where running like a river about six inches deep[*] :roll:
pattayapope

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:22 pm

I assume you have it all worked out as far as max flood level are concerned, As a matter of interest, when did a similar flood or higher occur last in your district. By all reports 2012 seems to have had a lot more rain than usual, at least down around Bangkok.
Mike Judd

Postby MGV12 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:09 pm

So you don't feel that you are being victimised ... these pics were from the Edinburgh area of Scotland yesterday; for the Americans that's the same place as Edinborough.

Floods Scotland.jpeg

heavy-rain-flooding-edinburgh-image-3-842061530.jpg

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:16 pm

MGV12 wrote:for the Americans that's the same place as Edinborough.

And for the Dutch and Germans: Edenberg.
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:57 pm

No great surprise here then is there RR?

Five-year deadline 'can't be met'

Flood orevention plan.jpg

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 04463.html

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:57 pm

MGV12,
I believe the five year deadline won't be met, but not for the same reasons The Nations uses. The Royal Irrigation Department was a principle player in the 2012 floods because they dithered, procrastinated and did nothing constructive, so my faith in them as a source of reliable information is less than nothing. In other countries they wouldn't even get a minister, let alone a "department" all to themselves. And the political fiefdom that it is never has precluded anything else.
Until such time as Thailand wipes half the obsolete ministries off the map and makes one ministry and the people who work in that ministry responsible to the people, then disaster after disaster will happen. Having fragmented control over any situation just makes it all the more serious in the end (three months under water), and so the fiefdoms will continue into the future. I think the Thai government should look at other countries disaster relief efforts, how long they lasted, who took responsibility, mistakes made and what can be done to mitigate those mistakes in the future. But as this is TIT it just won't happen.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:52 am

Dare I say, here we go again. Same inept players (irrigation department) doing exactly what they have for so long....nothing. http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/3 ... achin-buri

<bad link - mod>
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to disasters