2012 floods

Floods, droughts, tsunami's and other natural disasters affecting coolthaihouse.members.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: 2012 floods

Postby sirineou » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:57 pm

geordie wrote:
sirineou wrote:Wow 1 m every 5 years or 20 m every 100 years!!! at this rate they will be in Lima Peru (exact opposite side of the world to BKK),in no time at all.Of course things will get uncomfortably warm half way there.
Never mind the water, we should start worrying about Hot Lava :lol:

Hmm yes well!! strange sense of humour :lol:

I beg your pardon dear sir. :?
My sense of humor is not strange,
it is weird,
attributed to excessive youthful indiscretions, resulting in extensive brain damage, causing one to see humor where none is present. :mrgreen: (you shoild see me at funerals) :lol:
As for BKK flooding situation, I am afraid id will get worst before it gets better.
I Personally would be very careful making long term investments in certain areas of BKK.
BKK is faced with a perfect storm scenario, it is build on clay and as a consequence is sinking at a debatable rate,at the same time ocean levels are raising , combine to that the lack of any centralized,coordinated effort, or long term plan to fight the problem, and I think moving to Lima Peru might not be such a bad Idea :D
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:10 pm

My wife and I used to walk to Chatachuk park in the evening, her for aerobics and me for running and weights. As we crossed Viphavadi Rangsit road I often stopped and looked at the construction of the new tunnel that would "save" Bangkok from flooding. As usual there were the usual cost overruns, various unforeseen obstacles from bad or no planning, but eventually it was completed, without the pumps, which were supposed to be from Mitsubishi. Alas alack, the BMA in all their "glory" decided that the pumps would come from China, because, in their words, they were "cheaper" but did the same job and because the pumps weren't really designed for the new tunnel, they adapted them. This is the result. http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/3 ... ant-tunnel
Not only don't most of the pumps work, the tunnel doesn't either because of the broken pumps. Last year during the floods the tunnel should have saved Bangkok, but as the maintenance budget had been used elsewhere it sat idle and clogged. I wonder what the excuse will be next year?
Roger Ramjet

Postby payebacs » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:35 am

"Rak Thailand Party leader and MP Chuvit Kamolvisit posted a question in his Facebook page on Thursday asking whether the Bangkok Metrolitan Administration's giant tunnel can really be used effectively to drain water out to the sea.
His question was directed to Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra."
It's a strange place to be asking questions of the governor of bangkok. on a facebook page! Rhetoric I suppose unless the governor is one of his facebook "friends".
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:07 am

payebacs,
To answer your question, all the politicians are "friends" on facebook and they use it to slag each other mercilessly. If you like this may add to the already long and winding road of blame and shame that was just published in the Bangkok Post this morning: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/3 ... into-swamp
I have time for neither politician, all I want is for them to do their damned jobs and stop wasting money and destroying peoples lives and livelyhoods.
And the excuses bore me, especially from public servants not doing their jobs.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:17 am

Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:11 pm

RR its you local goverment letting you down drove up the 305 towards Nakon Nayok and saw two more barges with diggers obviously dredging is still underway here :roll: :roll:
The interesting bit was around khlong 14 ? they are installing over the flood gates some masive pipes/pumps
most interesting as they will in use be sucking water from downstream and pushing it back upriver ?
I am guessing that is going to be one of their "sacrificial areas if need be the were testing a couple of them on the way up and definately they shift some water ? i did on the way back get a few pics i will again try and post :lol:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby geordie » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:34 pm

Well got the picture,s up :lol: :lol: :lol:
next time i will put lgends as well 1st is dirt stacked on bank from dredging if it rains it washes straight back where it came from ? + it causes the road behind to flood so desrtroying the road as well notb really very well thought out this plan of theirs picture of dredger next sitting idle ? there are a couple of them suposedly working on this khlong/river alongside the 305
the next are some massive pumps being installed pushing water upstream ??

IMG_0918 (640x480).jpg
IMG_0917 (640x480).jpg
IMG_0913 (640x480).jpg
IMG_0911 (640x480).jpg
IMG_0912 (640x480).jpg
IMG_0910 (640x480) (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:33 pm

Geordie,
geordie wrote:RR its you local goverment letting you down drove up the 305 towards Nakon Nayok and saw two more barges with diggers obviously dredging is still underway here

And therein lies the problem, the local government doesn't control the klongs and is not allowed to operate the gates, that falls to the BMA. This was the main problem last year for the floods, the BMA refused to allow water to drain along the klongs, which it was designed to do, and instead, locked the gates shut "to protect the people of Bangkok". It took protests in Nontharburi (that nearly turned violent) before the BMA would even talk to the local councils and then they ignored them. It took the blockading of the expressways in Rangsit, Viphavadi and other areas before the "powers that be" would even talk to the people and then they blamed the government, even though they control the gates.
Now it's taken this government to threaten the BMA again (two days ago) and I still don't think they'll do anything. I know the gates at Bang Bua Thong are locked shut and the canal/klong there is almost overflowing. I know the people out there have a meeting scheduled for the weekend and if I have time we'll call in.
Nobody has yet been paid any money for last years floods, except of course the local "mayor" who wasn't affected and she got 80,000 baht, which had to be returned after the people found out.
It's a bad bad situation when politicians start playing god with peoples lives and livelyhoods just because they are in a different political party and are power crazy. If it happens again I think the people, just might revolt, totally. I know my next door neighbour is very very angry and so are the other people out there.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:07 am

Not much of a consolation Rodger but if you get flooded it,s down to incompetance and stupidity ?
Looking at the way those pumps shifted water on testing yesterday there is going to be a vast area sacrificed deliberately ?
I cannot help but think they maybe should have been mounting those pumps on the tunnel they constructed
As a casual observer of the way they go about things here its a joke
Along the Klong here the road got destroyed mianly due to water laying on and under it heavy traffic doing the rest
Along came the barge dredging silt out of the canal and mounting it along the bank ? preventing more water from running off the road till it bacame a dirt track!
Meanwhile constant rain has seen to it most of the dirt washed back into the klong :(
Along come a "road gang" to repair the road they tip a couple of inches of stone/dirt on it then roll it and roll it and sweep it and roll it again and sweep it again two weeks on still rolling still sweeping a fair percentage of the stuff they laid has since ended up in the klong the holes they filled have re-apeared in some cases worse and soon they will lay a smearing of tarmac over it ? onto wet mud its almost a certainty within two weeks there will be potholes in the road again and the road will be back to dirt track status withina couple of months
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:42 am

Geordie,
If I wasn't affected in some way it would be hilarious (the incompetence that is).
And then of course you have the blatant fraud, but far be it from me to highlight that so I'll leave it to the newspapers: http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/3 ... eaks-rules and The Nation: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 90916.html and they wonder why people are jacking up and blocking freeways. I really do hope the above two depress you as you live in Rangsit.
Why don't we have a bet to see who gets flooded the first? Then we can really bitch! There is a meeting at Bang Bua Thong this weekend which we might get to, after we go to the house. The bone of contention is who pays the flood damage compensation, the BMA which got the money or the province, which also got the money. Both are claiming they were not at fault, which should actually read incompetent and at fault.
Those huge pumps worry me because I know what they can pump and why instal them at a floodgate facing the wrong way?
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:02 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:Geordie,

Those huge pumps worry me because I know what they can pump and why instal them at a floodgate facing the wrong way?

Strangly enough that is what has me concerned as well the same as you we have seen a fair bit of rain recently so still have lots of waterlogged area,s dotted around the klongs are pretty well full and they are preparing to pump water the wrong way !
Its got to spell bad news for this area its fairly flat from here to those pumps although its 15-20 mins away
The question really is are they the only set ? or have they been dotting themaround elswhere
geordie

Postby geordie » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:37 am

Well who has the money?
The good news is they will send prisoners to clear drains on even privately owned land? I wonder how that works having got a look at the drainage here the pipes have a couple of inches more silt for them to be clogged completely with silt? so 95% of their capacity is unavailable they have a crew working on them one of the pictures i posted shows their digger ? I hope its not on hire because it has not moved in a week in fact it has worked to my knowledge one day only Unblocking them is not really going to help if the klong is full and the water has nowhere to go ?
Is all this flooding a recent ocurrence or has it been happening for years ? or has lack of maintainance created the problem !
Like dredging dirt out of khlongs and letting it wash back in ?
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:08 am

Geordie,
The flooding has been happening for years. When we lived at Soi 36 Viphavadi Rangsit, just behind the Chatuchuk District Office the soi always flooded after rain....until the people jacked up and then they used the prisoners to clean out the drains, dredge the klongs and clean the place up, then it would only flood when the rain was torrential and for a few hours only. The problem lies with the klongs being blocked by silt, garbage and sand and the fact they are ignored until too late. They actually concreted some of the klongs, then promptly forgot about them.
The tunnel was put in to drain the klongs completely, but each little fiefdom has their own budget that they spend elsewhere and not on the klongs. It's like the roads that are fixed and then forgotten for years and then just go back to being tracks. The BMA won't run the pumps for the tunnel until it's too late. The whole of Bangkok and every klong, large and small could or should be completely drained prior to and after the wet season, but nobody wants that....maybe they're all fishermen, but I suspect it's because they are just incompetent and don't care as long as they are not affected.
In Malaya every klong was clean and dry except when it rained, I know I crashed my motorbike into one, but here they let the water stagnate.
The only solution I can see is for the Thai people to jack-up and keep jacking-up until they do their jobs. All the rules and regs are in place, but ignored by the powers that be, with a shrug of the shoulders and "not my job", but it is.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:32 pm

expat,
Please come out to my new house I worked all my life to build. Here's some photos from the topic:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:47 pm

RR I think that should be
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

PreviousNext

Return to disasters