2012 floods

Floods, droughts, tsunami's and other natural disasters affecting coolthaihouse.members.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

2012 floods

Postby fredlk » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:51 am

From the 'quality' newspaper The Nation:

'Areas facing floods will be revealed'

BANGKOK: -- The government will be able to inform the public no later than next month about which areas are at risk of being flooded, those that will be safe, and those to be used as catchment areas, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said yesterday.

"The accuracy of the forecasts may not be 100-per-cent precise, but will be based on analyses and expected to yield closest results," she said at a press interview at Government House. "For example, storms and monsoons anticipated in certain areas may occur elsewhere."

The prime minister said one thing the public would surely be told was the progress of flood prevention work and budgets earmarked for relevant projects.

Yingluck also dismissed media criticism that the bidding process for flood prevention work was rushed and greater importance had been placed on foreign companies than local bidders. She said there were many Thai-owned companies tendering for the projects, and the process was open to everyone.

Asked about details of flood prevention projects as the government nears the first anniversary of its declaration of a master flood and water management plan to Parliament, she said the construction of infrastructure was 70-per-cent done, while flood and water management plans had been integrated. Details would be made public no later than next month.

Science Minister Plodprasob Surassawadee said a press conference would be held on July 24 for the media and opposition to clarify claims that the government rushed its bidding process.

Plodprasob also accused the Democrat Party of campaigning against a planned weather study project by the US National Aeronautics and Space Administration (Nasa) at U-Tapao naval airbase in Chon Buri, because it wanted to keep from the public a Nasa study showing that the massive flood last year resulted from mismanagement by the previous government.

He challenged the Democrat Party to file defamation lawsuits against him, and also against Nasa scientists, so that he could clarify issues about the project in court.

The press conference will be held at the main auditorium of the National Science and Technology Development Agency in the Science Park compound in Pathum Thani.

Meanwhile, more than 200 people gathered outside district offices in Bang Khae and Bang Khen in the north and east of Bangkok respectively, to demand Bt20,000 in compensation for their homes being flooded last year. They dispersed peacefully after being promised that their demand would be passed on to relevant agencies.

Assawat Apaiwongse, an adviser to Deputy Bangkok Governor Theerachon Manomaiphibool, said he learned that the rallies were organised by Pheu Thai MPs. He said the MPs should have led protesters to rally at Government House, as the extra money would be approved by the Pheu Thai-led government, not by the Democrat-ruled Bangkok Metropolitan Administration.
fredlk

Re: 2012 floods

Postby MGV12 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:09 am

fredlk wrote: and those to be used as catchment areas

That might make interesting reading .... "after full and unbiased discussion your land has been nominated for flooding"

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:30 am

I would like to remind new readers that the government making this year's decisions on who to flood and who not are the same government which failed to act to save lives and property last year.
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:40 pm

Yesterday when I left the new house it was pouring rain, but the guttering was working and so was my half of the drainage to the road culvert. I arrived back at Pak Kret to find the village was totally flooded with a foot of water. Last year my new house copped it and my village was high and dry and yesterday it was visa versa. Both were caused by continual bad planning with too many unqualified people in power becoming instant experts. The village committee claimed they "forgot" to have the drains cleaned. The BMA claims they own the gates and canals in surrounding provinces to Bangkok, therefore they are not their responsibility, or if they are they are far too busy with other more important things.
Last year the flooding was caused by the Irrigation Department, BMA and EGAT's incompetence, this year if we get flooded it will be the same three, but with a fourth player added, who told the expert subcommittee not to release so much water from two dams. A few days ago the first major report was released by people outside Thailand. Flooding need not have occurred but for incompetence. All parties involved in solving last years floods have worked really hard to save the people from further misery, so much so that the BMA has only dredged 30% of the canals under its control and haven't repaired three gates that are jammed shut. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2542MzvU21Q this was the precursor to the founding of this committee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2542MzvU21Q here is the follow-up report that apportions blame and the reasons: http://thoughtleadership.aonbenfield.co ... _recap.pdf Here is a world summary of what caused the floods compiled by various news agencies on release of the report a few days ago: http://asiancorrespondent.com/85729/res ... -thailand/
In both governments the Chartthaipattana Party has demanded and held the irrigation portfolio.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:27 am

Do you have an 'escape clause' in your mid to long-term plan RR?

What if flooding control [or the lack of it] outside of your domain doesn't get any better?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:48 pm

MGV12,
I've never really thought too much about what will happen in the future and I wouldn't want an escape clause anyway, so I'll live with what I've built.
I doubt flooding control will get better because of interference from certain people who believe they are "experts", even though they have no qualifications. The whole structure of Thailand is wrong when all interested parties refuse to talk to each other because they regard themselves as being the "senior puyai" and above reproach, even though they have no training whatsoever in that or any field. The Bangkok Governor being a prime example. The MR ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_royal ... ble_titles ) before his name means nothing to me as he was elected to do a job, which he's failed at, dismally.
The same applies to EGAT and the Irrigation Department. When you are raised with a culture of not accepting responsibility for your actions, then all the planning in the world cannot stop disasters. Thailand has the expertise, the problem is few listen to the real experts, and when they do it is far too late.
If the members of the Australian Army had reacted like the Thai Army did to orders from the minister during the floods and I was still a member, I would have publically apologised to the flood victims and resigned immediately, along with every other officer and NCO in the Australian Armed Forces. Disasters are what armed forces are trained to handle, the fact that the Thai army commander disregarded orders from his minister (parliament) is just arrogance and wouldn't be tolerated in any other than Thailand.
I don't think the locals will allow the same shenanigans again. I know that people who can afford it are having their houses raised all around me. I have also spoken to people whose houses were flooded who will soldier on and this time buy furniture that will not get water damaged. All that cheap MDF is off their shopping lists, especially if they have only one floor, and they are now buying wood.
We have a boat and motor, we have life jackets, the car is insured and I have a stack of empty sandbags. I'm going to buy a generator when I decide on our needs. My fridge and freezer are always full. I can do no more than that, other than being that pesky farang, who makes life difficult for the powers that be, by asking, verbally and in writing, the too hard questions be answered.
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:31 pm

I'm so glad that the government promised "no flooding" this year.
This from the Bangkok Post:

Flooding in 6 districts of Ayutthaya
Published: 11/09/2012 at 02:31 PMOnline news:
Six districts of Ayutthaya province have been hit by flooding, governor Witthaya Phiewphong said on Tuesday.

They are Bang Ban, Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, Sena, Phak Hai, Bang Pa-in and Bang Sai districts.

Mr Witthaya said he had sent an urgent order to district chiefs and local administrations to watch and provide assistance for affected riverside communities as needed.

Overflows from the Chao Phraya River have swamped Wat Boonkannawas in tambon Sai Noi of Bang Ban district where construction of a floodwall around the temple has not yet been completed.

A camp area for construction workers and heavy machinery has been inundated.
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:00 pm

There will always be problems with flooding, caused by unqualified people talking through their arses and not cooperating because they don't wish to do so. They couldn't careless what happens to other people because they'll always find someone else to blame besides themselves. And of course they all blame the current government in power even though they are responsible for the problem.
Here's an excerpt from an article in The Nation some days ago:
Deputy Bangkok Governor Teerachon Manomaiphibul warned the government yesterday against plans to divert water from upriver through the heart of the capital to the sea.
In his Facebook account, he wrote: "(His Majesty) said the runoff water should not be brought into city centres be it Saen Saeb, Lat Phrao and other canals in the inner zone of Bangkok because the capital's waterdrainage system has been designed to deal with rainfall only."
Teerachon did not agree with the government and its Water and Flood Management Commission's (WFMC) decision to test drainage by pushing water into the Lat Phrao Canal.
This sort of statement is what I'm talking about. Since when has the Chao P river not taken most of the drainage from the north? As nearly all the canals flow into the Chao P river, where would this idiot like it to run to? The problem in Lat Phrao is the BMA decided they wouldn't dredge and clean-out the canals, which they were given money to do, but instead syphoned it off for "other projects" that are currently being investigated (nothing will come of it though).
A letter in the Bangkok Post on the previous day by a Farang begged that the WFMC not test the system because the klongs and canals were still full of crap from last years flood. The BMA's excuse was that they would be cleared but they were busy elsewhere.
Poor people.
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:02 pm

It's good to get a guarantee from the horse's .... :

Plodprasop: Flood-free Bangkok
Published: 12/09/2012 at 12:40 PM
Online news:

There will definitely be no flooding in Bangkok this year, Science and Technology Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi said on Wednesday.

"This year's rainfall is 20% below last year's," said Mr Plodprasop, who chairs the government's Water and Flood Management Commission.

He attributed the recent flooding in Sukhothai province to the Yom River's narrow and elevated channel.

The water flow from the Yom River towards Sukhothai had since reduced to 1,000 cubic metres a second from the previous 2,000 cubic metres a second. When the water reached Sukhothai's Muang district, the flow rate dropped to 600 cubic metres per second.

The provinces in the lower North and upper Central Plains areas have been hit by flooding this week. Authorities said it was caused by several days of continuous heavy rain.
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:25 pm

Not everyone is turned on merely by pics ... so for those here are some stats:

http://asiancorrespondent.com/71348/wha ... d-in-2012/

MGV12

Postby geordie » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:06 am

I am inclined to think there is an element of bul%$£%T to the no floods this year claim
Only because the moo baan flooded last night some of the more unlucky residents on soi 1/2 are pushing water out of their houses ? (low lying) The strange thing is the worst soi is the one currently having its drains cleared and suposedly finished ?? the local Klong is well up but could take a lot more ! if the water could get there? got a couple of pictures but no way no how is this window seven peice of crap letting me do anything with them after spending 5-6 hours playing still no idea ?
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:39 am

Geordie,
I think it's the same all over Bangkok and the surrounds. Not much has been done by anyone. The canals/klongs are still full of crap from last year, the drains that were supposed to go in haven't and the concrete drainage rings sit idly by the sides of roads waiting for "someone" to put them in place, then link them to the already blocked canals/klongs that still have gates stuck shut.
And the more people get angry, the less is done by the powers that be. Two major canals from last year are running bankers out our way, and when the people protested they were told that the canals weren't "owned and operated" by the province, they belonged to the BMA who were "too busy" to fix them.
I actually hope it gets no worse as I'll be back to reporting to Immigration at Chang Wattana instead of Nontharburi. And just last week when I did report there, substandard work was in full progress, finally trying to build 5 foot dykes with wood, where it was under water by 10 foot last year. And the road was impassable except by 4 wheel drive because of the work.
All this infrastructure should have been done years ago, but when the money is syphoned off into other politicians' "projects" that have no meaning, the result is flooding. And still the canals and klongs have not been cleaned out.
The solution is to amalgamate all the little fiefdoms into one agency with one expert with balls at the top, but it will never happen.
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:57 am

geordie wrote:I am inclined to think there is an element of bul%$£%T to the no floods this year claim

Seems to me it's just politicians doing what they do best. That's meddling in things they have no knowledge of.

BKK is sinking at a rate of up to 20cm per year so have to continuously pump water, they are not designed to handle excess water coming from the north.

Before my escape our district installed two new pumps (36") double the size of ones replaced yet they both were under last years flood waters as the powers that be decided not to turn them on last year on orders from the you know who. ???????
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby sirineou » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:31 am

BKKBILL wrote:
BKK is sinking at a rate of up to 20cm per year so have to continuously pump water, they are not designed to handle excess water coming from the north.

Wow 1 m every 5 years or 20 m every 100 years!!! at this rate they will be in Lima Peru (exact opposite side of the world to BKK),in no time at all.Of course things will get uncomfortably warm half way there.
Never mind the water, we should start worrying about Hot Lava
the good news is that in 96,560 years BKK would have sunk 12 miles , would be out of Thai jurisdiction, and we will be able to own land there. :lol:
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby geordie » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:57 am

sirineou wrote:Wow 1 m every 5 years or 20 m every 100 years!!! at this rate they will be in Lima Peru (exact opposite side of the world to BKK),in no time at all.Of course things will get uncomfortably warm half way there.
Never mind the water, we should start worrying about Hot Lava :lol:

Hmm yes well!! strange sense of humour :lol:

Here is weird i have actually been impressed by the activity around here The klongs have been dredged
a digger on a barge has been at it for ages from what i have seen (klong six Nong suea rangsit ) and others nearby have been done
The 305 highway is having new drainage fitted and the canal/river other side of the road is having work done on the embankments and "spot dredging"
I am right on the edge of what flooded last year so i expect when i go out later there will be problems in some of the lower lying areas maybe just full klongs ?
The "Moo Baan" has had drainage issues before in soi 1+2 but today 3+4 got plenty of it the drain across the road leaks upwards delivering water instad of draining it so the field across from the house has now a foot of water on there ? wonder if i should chuck a rice crop in there and make use of it normally after rain it gets a few inches today its at least a foot deep and falling very very slowly
Better off than soi 2 where they have overhauled the drains (not quite finished) 6-700 mtrs well flooded ?
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Next

Return to disasters