Rules are rules!

Floods, droughts, tsunami's and other natural disasters affecting coolthaihouse.members.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Rules are rules!

Postby MGV12 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:02 pm

Don't ever let common sense get in the way of a good Disaster!

This is a TRUE happening in Sharon Springs, Kansas.

Thankfully no lives were lost .......... and no mention of who paid the cost of putting things right !!!!!!!!!!!!

Good news:
It was a normal day in Sharon Springs , Kansas , when a Union Pacific crew boarded a loaded coal train for the long trek to Salina ..

Bad news:
Just a few miles into the trip a wheel bearing became overheated and melted, letting a metal support drop down and grind on the rail, creating white hot molten metal droppings spewing down to the rail.

Good news:
A very alert crew noticed smoke about halfway back in the train and immediately stopped the train in compliance with the rules

Bad news:
The train stopped with the hot wheel over a wooden bridge with creosote ties and trusses.

The crew tried to explain this to Union Pacific higher-ups, but were instructed not to move the train!

They were informed that Rules prohibited moving the train when a part was found to be defective!

Rules 1.jpg

Rules 2.jpg

Rules 3.jpg

Rules 4.jpg

'REMEMBER, RULES ARE RULES!'
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Re: Rules are rules!

Postby payebacs » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:07 pm

MGV12 wrote: 'REMEMBER, RULES ARE RULES!'
You Betcha! Yes Sireeeee Bob! :lol:
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Re: Rules are rules!

Postby geordie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:22 am

and of course unhitching part of the tain would probably be in breach of some misguided but well meant :mrgreen: health and safety rule
i watched a fire on a construction like that when i was a kid it burnt for three days and that did not have a few thousand ton of coal on it made life unbearable for quite a few kids !! it was a hell of a climbing frame with the timbers being 18" to 2ft square from memory the added fun was the ocasional fall into the river which was so polluted you could almost walk on it (River Tyne) the injections afterwards took away the fun and you were sure to be as sick as a dog for a month or so
There is still another similar one there and thats sat 90% in the water used as a marina now the river has been cleaned up (truth being all the industry died

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... s2006a.jpg)

I shocked mysef here and got a working link courtesy of wilki =dunston staithes gateshead
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Return to disasters