Smog in Chiang Mai

Floods, droughts, tsunami's and other natural disasters affecting coolthaihouse.members.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Smog in Chiang Mai

Postby MGV12 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:58 am

From one disaster to another:

Hard to get away from disaster in LOS these days ... as many escape from the floods in the south only to find health-threatening air pollution in the north

Smog.jpg

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 77343.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Re: Smog in Chiang Mai

Postby fredlk » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:50 am

MGV12 wrote:From one disaster to another:

Hard to get away from disaster in LOS these days ... as many escape from the floods in the south only to find health-threatening air pollution in the north

Smog.jpg

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 77343.html

I sympathise with all the people who are suffering and the conditions are not likely to improve for some time yet.
So far here in the coastal hills I've been spared floods, continual burning and other disasters, but a landslide is still a possibility.
fredlk

Postby Shastadad » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:20 am

The two are related

The slash and burn technique used up North to clear old growth destroys the ground cover which in turn increases the water run off during the rainy season, resulting in flooding "down" country

Without enforcement the laws on illegal burning and deforestation here in Thailand are useless
Shastadad

Postby thailazer » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:11 pm

Yep.... No enforcement and NO communication. In 2007 the Public Health Department had sound trucks out, village heads told people not to burn. This year there is none of that. Up North, burning continues without limit. Today was the worst day yet with visibilities less than 800 meters. Only rain can save us this year. Thailand is now noted as having the dirtiest air on Earth, taking away the title from China.
thailazer

Postby MGV12 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:17 pm

thailazer wrote:Thailand is now noted as having the dirtiest air on Earth, taking away the title from China.

I believe it but do you have any confirmation on that?

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:31 pm

I do pity all the people it will cripple and kill who cannot afford the medicines to save their lives (my wife is an asthmatic and her medicine is imported and costs 2,000 baht a woofer) so I know about the cost. But, it also proves a point I made earlier: Rainmaking projects do not work and have never worked. Reforestation in regards to water retention in the soil is not a proven scientific fact. In fact the latest studies conducted over the last 50 years show only a slight increase in carbon dioxide compared to when the land had not been deforested. Replanting forests, that should never have been cut in the first place, will not prevent floods from happening. When the soil becomes super saturated water will run off anyway, all the trees do is bind the soil and stop it from eroding in the first place.
The air particles from fires are the biggest danger and trees do not play a part in the recycling of those particles. Rain does, as it carries them to earth, all the trees do is convert the carbon dioxide left to oxygen, they do not take the particles out of the air. The only solution is to stop people burning without consideration for others and that takes education, something sorely lacking in Thailand, which relies on fallacies, propaganda and rote learning.
Roger Ramjet

Postby otis-a » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:18 pm

is also in crai:totally pathetic- what is the purpose? Reminds me of bangkok burning
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby thailazer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:55 am

MGV12 wrote:
thailazer wrote:Thailand is now noted as having the dirtiest air on Earth, taking away the title from China.

I believe it but do you have any confirmation on that?

No data, but having been in the worst areas of Southern China, it is worse here in my opinion judging by the visibility and the personal health effects. NOAA used to publish satellite images of the worst pollution on Earth but I can't seem to find that website anymore.
thailazer

Postby canopy » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:45 am

thailazer wrote:Only rain can save us this year

That is a strange thing to say. The land was burnt down last year, is being burnt down this year, and will be burnt down again next year. It's always the same. Even after the rains start there is still lots of awful smelling burning that goes on. I have not met a local who cares about it. As far as I can tell, every one of them burns their fields and their garbage. Many smolder wood into charcoal in their backyards to sell. Everything that can be burned is burned. With this mentality, nothing will change unless the government enforces a ban. But why would they when no one cares? The governments answer is rainmaking projects? Clearly this has been a failure. So the situation is permanent, don't think there is any light at the end of the tunnel.
canopy

Postby thailazer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:59 am

canopy wrote:
thailazer wrote:Only rain can save us this year

That is a strange thing to say. The land was burnt down last year, is being burnt down this year, and will be burnt down again next year. It's always the same. Even after the rains start there is still lots of awful smelling burning that goes on. I have not met a local who cares about it. As far as I can tell, every one of them burns their fields and their garbage. Many smolder wood into charcoal in their backyards to sell. Everything that can be burned is burned. With this mentality, nothing will change unless the government enforces a ban. But why would they when no one cares? The governments answer is rainmaking projects? Clearly this has been a failure. So the situation is permanent, don't think there is any light at the end of the tunnel.

Canopy... I agree with everything you say in your post except the opening line. :wink: You are spot on with the situation I am afraid and that is what I experience here too, although there are many Thai folks that are just as aghast at the situation as foreigners. Regarding my opening line, the last two years have had very clean air due to the increased frequency of rains in the North. This year, the early rains did not come so everything is dry enough for those habits you refer to go into effect. If it does rain, that will slow the burning considerably like it did last year.
thailazer

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:28 pm

This is not good news for the people who live in the north of Thailand http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 77639.html
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:08 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:This is not good news for the people who live in the north of Thailand http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 77639.html

Right you are RR it is not good. I went from high levels of urban pollution in BKK to high levels of rural pollution in the north. Hopefully we will get some rain from this coming disturbance. At least this stuff will go soon but BKK pollution is there for good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:48 pm

Bill,
It's rather alarming really. The distance between our house in Pak Kret and new house at Ban Bua Thong is 15 minutes drive. It's dull and overcast most of the time in Pak Kret, but at Bang Bua THong it is either sunny with a clear sky and breeze or it's cloudy but raining and my wife can breathe normally (she's asthmatic) in Bang Bua Thong but she needs her woofer in Pak Kret and Bangkok. It is the reason we are moving soon.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:02 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Bill,
It's rather alarming really. The distance between our house in Pak Kret and new house at Ban Bua Thong is 15 minutes drive. It's dull and overcast most of the time in Pak Kret, but at Bang Bua THong it is either sunny with a clear sky and breeze or it's cloudy but raining and my wife can breathe normally (she's asthmatic) in Bang Bua Thong but she needs her woofer in Pak Kret and Bangkok. It is the reason we are moving soon.

I thought you were moving because you built a new house :roll: :roll: i must be losing it :lol:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby MGV12 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:42 am

geordie wrote: i must be losing it :lol:

You lost it so long ago you don't even remember losing it? :?

MGV12

Next

Return to disasters