Flood Related from Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Floods, droughts, tsunami's and other natural disasters affecting coolthaihouse.members.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Flood Related from Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby tomquic » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:31 pm

Thanks Roger .,,,,,
Interesting as although supposedly its a lower tide today .... I was downstairs before and its only very marginally less flood than yesterday .... but hopefully will lower over the next few days ..

Agree with yr comments about the BG being a #1 DORK ... although fair enough to have the orders in writing .. only reason he wanted it though IMHO is to cover his own ar$e ... his depts preparation for all this is -- again in my opinion --- appalling ... no-one will get cruelled though -- as always ... but so many of the canals receive no annual maintenance -- and if I hear the nonce say "its not in my jurisdiction" one more time -- I will scream ... for goodness sake he's Thai .. but seems to only care about the people in his area of jurisdiction ...
The whole 1m or 70cm thing is sad ... he should pull his bloddy finger out and start thinking about how he can help all people rather than play these stupid political games ... have a feeling he and his mates are still smarting from no SOE being declared .. so they could take over the reigns again ... reckon it can only get worse for them now ...

AND -- I am not grinding any axes here --- just calling it how I see it ... plenty of stupidity and incompetence to go all around for all colours .. but for goodness sake help the people who are hurting ..
tomquic

Postby geordie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:43 pm

The views here are all in line but the crux of it can be stupidity ??
we have a money saving venture in the uk called comunity police ? what it boils down to is they are paid observers they have no real police powers and as such are there to give people reasurance we have a police force a couple of years ago a kid drowned in 3-4ft of water watched by two comunity police (neither could swim) when the investigation came out they were exonerated it was a breach of health and safety for them to enter the water as they were not trained to do so ?? as a result a child lost a life : how would they have felt if it was their child Refusing to do something without a bit of paper it is questionable behavior over a common sense aproach of doing the right thing Imagine a group of soldiers being told to open fire ?? and asking can i have that in writing or the fire brigade being stood outside a building with a small fire saying can we have it in writing to put out the fire because we are concerned that the water will damage you decorations Here you are with millions of people displace homeless hungry and people are waiting for a bit of paper telling them to do their best and do there job as instructed refusing to lose their popularity at the risk of drowning people and causing unecesary suffering it a case of i am alright my freinds are alright so to hell with it challenge that and the brakes are put on The politicians are trying to see how much milage they can get out of it The army are as ever working to their own ends and the only thing they want to give the PM is a lift to the airport so it will muddle along no one will be punished a fortune will be spent on investigating where it went wrong a fortune will be spent on figuering out how they can prevent it happening money will be alocated to fund relief programs and all the way along those that can will be lining their pockets from the confusion The poor will be a bit poorer and the rich will prosper sad as it is
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby tomquic » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:09 pm

Geordie ..

Pretty good summary mate ...
Lots of people here are not only going to lose face .... but end up with a lot of egg on it shortly ...

Do not be surprised if all the politics ramps up next 24-48hrs as one side is about to lose significant face due to the fact that the govts actions .. albeit too slowly and a few mistakes along the way ( some due to bastardry and extreme interference and some due to incompetence) are actually working .. and they don't want to see that at all ...

Just read an article by an "expert' who actually says the said sluice gate could quite safely be opened to 150cms with no adverse issues .. as long as they monitor things ....

Gee there are some 'wallies' in this mess ... the sooner this water is lower the better ... then as you say some 'reflection' on why it happened at all can take place ... there might be quite a few surprises ... from what I have heard ...
tomquic

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:17 pm

There will be a lot of issues discussed when this is over and of course, before it is over, as the opposition is demanding a full debate in parliament tomorrow or Thursday, with the PM answering all their questions, which I find rather amusing when their old coalition partners hold the two posts that have the most responsibility for half the mess...Irrigation and Agriculture. You might call both those ministers missing in action over the last month. I wonder why? No I don't. I hope the PM ignores them and just carries on with what she's doing, then answers their questions at the end, but knowing the opposition I'm sure they'll rally their supporters to disrupt even that, just as the Bangkok Governor has already been hard at it.
And I see the Japanese have stepped up to the plate with massive amounts of money and a swag of real experts to assist when it finally ends.
I hope the Thai voters remember all the politicians who screwed them this time and refuse to even let them run the next time. All those old tired men with little fiefdoms from all political parties who have done nothing but gone into hiding when the going got tough. And all the wallies, whackers and drongos. I'd loved to see a serious shake-up of the old guard who have destroyed this country over the last 20 years, especially the public servants.
It has been a quiet day at Pak Kret besides my daughter nearly crashing the car...5 times... she will never get her licence in 2 months unless a huge bribe is paid... which would make me one of the whackers, wallies and drongos, so she have to improve because otherwise she'll never get it.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:34 pm

Tom thanks for the kind comments i can only assume a lot from historically how these things go having been a rebel i have always stood my ground if i thought i was right and take the consequences later if i was wrong
They could save a fortune and dish it out to those that lost everything by simply saying lets forget trying to hang anyone And lets work together to stop a disaster of this scale happening again 400 people dead how much livestock went the same way
People who have borrowed to the hilt to survive now pushed over the line and lost or losing everything life is hard enough over there without making it harder would it be great or what if they said lets skip the inquiry and concentrate on the recovery lets get the farmers back on their feet and producing lets provide all those families with enough rice to see them through this season and pay this years loans They are the soul of the country keeping everyone fed and bringing substantial revenue through exports to survive on the breadline up untill something like this comes along

RR i wish you would stop doing this to me i start a reply try to post it and you bang one in that changes the context
!st how is it that poor child gets the blame for your failings as an instructor :mrgreen:
2nd i agree don,t pay the bribe she will likely break the car anyway :lol:
3rd What does it matter who they vote into power when they start to shut down on the coruption the army will be called in to kick them out and happy to do it there is a coalition of all parties running the place leave the crooks to collect their revenue,s (tea money) things will stay calm try and end it all hell breaks out and another change of goverment will be required The reality is that very few politicians care about anything the public want unless it goes in with their main aim and adds to their personal riches Although admitedly on ocasions they do realise the have to give something back !! Lets hope this is one of those times and something is given back Nice of japan to help out :? what are they after :roll:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:45 am

Now if anyones interested, here's a good website with real analysis on the floods and what really caused them. http://asiancorrespondent.com/author/bangkokpundit/ As I've already stated, the problem is too many chiefs (fiefdoms) and not enough indians. The public servants in Thailand have this stupid mindset that their ministry is the most important and they refuse to share with others. All the facts and figures are out there, but each little fiefdom refuses to share their precious data with another ministry.
The solution is simple, combine them all and make one ministry responsible.... but this is Thailand, so it won't happen.
Roger Ramjet

Postby otis-a » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:11 pm

FLASH: this just in thai gov't ineptitude reaches europe:
Last Updated: 10:35PM GMT 04/11/2011 Six people were killed on Friday when the Italian port city of Genoa was hit by flash floods during heavy rainfall, including a woman who was apparently crushed by cars being swept away by the water. "There have been six deaths," said the local prefect, Francesco Musolino. Hundreds of shops were flooded and emergency officials urged residents to move to high ground and upper floors as waters rose and firefighters used rubber dinghies and divers to evacuate people, officials said. Five of the victims, including two children, died when the lobby of an apartment block in which they had sought shelter flooded. "This was a completely unexpected tragedy," said Genoa mayor Marta Vicenzi. Motorways in the area were also closed off and flights re-routed away from the local airport. Schools will be shut adding: "Moving around is really dangerous." The flooding comes after heavy rains last week killed 10 people and caused tens of millions of euros (dollars)
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby otis-a » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:02 am

it could always be worse, u could be living in the mayanmar flood zone where they still await foodstocks /latest from Mayanmar times/ AID for those affected by flash floods in Magwe Region has been delayed because of damage to roads and bridges and residents of some remote villages have not eaten since the floods occurred, aid organisations said last week. The floods affected 35,000 people in Magwe, Mandalay and Sagaing regions, and some 26,000 people are believed to have lost their homes, according to a United Nations report released on October 25. Sayardaw Kone Dara from Seikphyu township said that although floodwater had subsided, piles of silt and damage to infrastructure had interrupted relief work. “About 20 villages in Pauk and 25 villages in Seikphyu were flooded. The water level has subsided but has left a layer of silt about as deep as a man’s thigh,” he said on October 24. “Well wishers have provided rice for more remote villages and meal packs for those closer to Seikphyu town. But damage to roads has made it difficult to transport assistance. To reach some villages you have to walk for about four hours through knee deep mud. People from villages that were not affected have been helping to repair the roads.” He said the extent of the disaster was still not entirely clear, but that in some cases whole villages had been washed away. “There are many villages still out of contact. Today some people from villages such as Lal Thar Wa and Kin Mon Tung came to Seik Phyu and asked for rice as their villages are facing shortages.” Sayardaw Kone Dara said he had asked the Dahammadutha Buddhist Association in Mandalay to supply relief items, such as footwear, blankets and kitchen accessories, and these were due to arrive on October 25. “We intend to distribute assistance in the Kyun Pin village in Pauk township because we heard villagers there face difficulties because they have lost everything – even utensils to cook their meals,” he said. Daw Kinzana Soe, a project officer with Searcher- Myanmar Development Organisation, said authorities in Seikphyu township’s Seikkhan village had reported their village and other villages in remote areas were out of food. “They said there are some villages where they haven’t had any meals since the disaster. They have to cross damaged roads covered in knee-high silt for an hour to get meal packs or rice from donation groups in another village. They said the trip normally takes about 20 minutes,” she said on October 25. “The situation also makes it difficult for donation groups to send rice bags to villages.” She said that, as of October 23, the official death toll in Seikpyu township stood at 11, with 19,371 people evacuated from 24 villages. U Myint Lwin, a resident of Pauk in Magwe Region, said that while transportation links between Pakokku and Pauk had reopened on October 26 the electricity was still out. On October 26, President U Thein Sein visited affected areas in Pakokku, Pauk, Myaing and Seikphyu townships and gave assistance to affected families. The president said that “lives and property were lost in unprecedented overflow of creek in Pakokku District due to heavy rains”. “Due to living near the bank of creek, people inevitably had to face damages caused by natural disaster. Thus, it is necessary to make field trips for resettling the flood victims at the secure and safe places not to face losses again,” the state-run New Light of Myanmar reported. “Plans are to be made to rebuild the schools and provide stationery to children. Therefore, it is necessary to open the temporary school buildings as quickly as possible,” the report said. “Necessary assistance will be provided to [victims] for construction of housings. In so doing, the government will build the temporary housings only, and the victims are to improve their housings on their own. The victims are to make long-term plans to be able to stand on their own.” The report also said that “Htoo company, IBTC company, CT Bank, Shwe Thanlwin company, IGE company and Shwetaung company donated K200 million each, totaling K1.2 billion for reconstruction of houses in Pakokku, Myaing, Pauk and Seikphyu townships”. A flash flood situation report issued by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs stated that initial estimates by the Relief and Resettlement Department of the Ministry of Social Welfare indicated that more than 35,000 people had been affected by flash floods in Magwe, Mandalay and Sagaing regions. The report stated that some 26,000 people from five townships – Myaing, Pauk, Pakokku, Salin and Seikphyu – had lost their houses and belongings. About 75 percent of the houses were flooded, 1290 dwellings washed away and about 20,000 people affected in Seikphyu township. The report added that damage to infrastructure was hampering access to some affected areas, and that there was a need for food, shelter and non-food items. Pakokku resident Dr Thet Lwin said a housing project had been initiated in the town for flood victims after the president’s visit. “Both houses and land will be provided for the flood victims – about 300 houses will be built altogether,” he said. “Individual donors and organisations have provided much assistance to affected families at relief camps in the town, and some donation groups have also gone to Pauk township.”
'its likely worse than reported'
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby tomquic » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:14 pm

Just wondered how all the Thai guys are travelling ???

Watched Dr Seri just now on PBS and the outlook does not look so great with all the 3,800M M3 of water still to hit BKK ... the outlook for us here is up to 1.0m of water out front of the condo in worst case ... ( which would mean a disaster for all of Silom / Sathorn / Sukh , etc etc ..-- even though they are other side of the river ) all of BKK would be well under -- lets hope its untrue..

Hope you are all well and that your friends and family are not suffering too much ...

Cheers ...
tomquic

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:08 pm

tomquic,
There's still a lot of water to come, nothing has changed at Nontharburi/Bang Bua Thong with the water still swirling and lapping at the ground floor.
When my wife went to work this morning (Silom) it took her 2 1/2 hours and when she got there, there no drinking water anywhere and little in the way of food.
Big C had a delivery of eggs for the first time in a week and people went mad taking hundreds at a time before being told to put them back.... 30 per person was what the sign said but people just ignored it.
I think it will get worse as the water creeps into Bangkok through the drains and them gushes upwards.
Roger Ramjet

Postby tomquic » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:37 am

Hi Roger ,

Yes .. sadly I agree ... I think for a while at least .. things will get worse .. I know what you mean about the panic(?) , greed(?) .. at the supermarkets with everyone grabbing exactly as much as they can with no recognition of the needs of others ...
Its strange .... as I see so much selfishness before the floods arrive in an area .... and then so much caring and sharing after they arrive ... maybe I'm wrong here ???? We have eggs here even sometimes in 7- Eleven and milk and bread these days ... most of the time ... but no water and most other staples are missing.
Think my mates factory down near Bang Chan Ind estate down on Ramkamhaeng is in for it next day or so ... its a difficult time for all ..

Stay safe ...

Tom.
tomquic

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:53 pm

tomquik,
I think your mate's factory at Bang Chan might be in serious trouble in the next few hours. Already 4 major sois in Ramkamhang have been evacuated and as usual the politicians are all trying to blame everyone else but themselves for being incompetent. And the press must take a lot of the blame as well, with their nonsensical meanderings along the party-line they support or don't support at present. Why can't they just report the news? Let the people work out who is doing a good job and who has fallen at the first hurdle. And to listen to Army channel 3 you would think helping their own people during a natural disaster is not what armies are for in times of crisis. And the bickering going on about sending "love" letters to each other is just plain asinine. And all the questions about who will eventually pay for the material is also bullshit of the highest order, because the taxpayer pays, not the individual departments or agencies.
And when you have military control over the airwaves like it is here, then you have no private communications like Citizen's Band and Ham operators in other countries who/which always fills a huge void between the isolated communities and the relief operations, but here even the Thai army doesn't have the capacity to fill it's own needs, let alone the communities that are screaming for help. I wonder just where all that money went that was supposed to have been well spent keeping the grossly inflated Thai army current in equipment... ah, of course, obsolete planes, tanks, APCs, helicopters, aircraft carriers and submarines and the 280 general officers.
At least I'm pleased Pak Kret has finally been recognised for its community spirit in working in a totally non partisan way and supporting not only its own community, but also other communities worse off than them. An island in a sea of chaos. Thank heavens we're part of Nontharburi and not Bangkok.
Roger Ramjet

Postby tomquic » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:45 am

Morning Roger ....

Agree with your comments ,,,,, just makes me sad ... to see all the bickering and self interest in this critical time .. the army I won't even comment on ...

Thought you might be interested in this article abt the BKK Gov if you haven't already seen it ... http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion ... 69503.html

Explains a lot about why some people believe what they believe --- even if it is totally arse about... Very pleased to hear that yr community is pulling together.

As I said in my last post, I reckon most ( not all) thais do pull together once the adversity hits ... its just this time before it that is killing me here in Klongsan ..

Stay safe ...

Tom.
tomquic

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:54 am

tomquic,
I too read the same article and agree with it, what I can't understand is why the Nation published it. The author of course will not be allowed back into Thailand without being arrested and charged with LM. If Prem can have someone jailed for 18 years for insulting him and hence the bloke he works for, then the BG will try the same thing and will probably get away with it too. Very disparaging.
I watched the flood expert from Holland last night on Thai TV even though they didn't let him say much. My wife was up in arms over the eight pumping stations, with only three of them actually working. When we lived at Lat Phrao behind the Siam Commercial Bank HO we were always flooded. Then they installed the pumping stations at a massive cost and last night she found out the BMA had substituted the Japanese pumps for cheap Chinese ones that are in constant repair. In those days Chatuchak market and park were constantly flooded which was annoying as we used to exercise there nightly, when we could get there.
This morning the Bangkok Post said your mate's industrial park was safe, whatever that means. They'll probably change their mind tomorrow, again. I'd really like to hear real updates in real time and not have to rely on the Thai media and their slanted embellished news... and now the foreign press has their rag news contingent here, so it will get even worse. Ah, the joys of living in Thailand.
Stay dry.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Ians » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:31 pm

" ... over the eight pumping stations, with only three of them actually working "
But isn't this typical of Thailand - they couldn't run a piss-up in a brewery, some would steal all the beer before it could be drunk.
Ians

PreviousNext

Return to disasters