Flood Related from Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Floods, droughts, tsunami's and other natural disasters affecting coolthaihouse.members.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Flood Related from Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby trader » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:14 pm

been a avid reader for ages :)

just joined a few mins ago :D

first post i read is the above :lol: retraced it from there :D

geordie the two members in question have posted several thousand posts between them on this site and i have found their contribitionsvery worthy indeed so why do we need your two bobs worths :) both members are very experienced :D leave it to them to work out their differences

and sure this will be done with applomb :D
trader

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:27 pm

Otis,
I'm actually rather amused because no data can be viewed, placed or requested anywhere on the site you posted, it says it a site for registering your qualifications.... even though you can't do anything once you're there, unless of course my iMac has let me down again and doesn't recognise the program you're supposed to use? Which becomes a moot point because you didn't read what I wrote.
Here's what I wrote
Roger Ramjet wrote:Just one thing I do get annoyed about is people saying "we engineers" as though you are talking for all engineers, and then you go off into a great dissertation about what you think
and unless you can post the website that says you are the spokesman for all the engineers in the world and that they all agree with you, then it becomes a moot point, as I said. So when you post that website that says you are the sole spokesman for all engineers, I'll post my ticket, which is expired but was good up until 2005 when they changed the law and by that time I was retired and living in Thailand.
Mine even has a photo on it, but you'll have to ask Gliffaes if it's me because he the only one who has seen me.

An update on the floods at Pak Kret. The fresh water canal that was breached on Chang Wattana Road is back under the control of the police, which means that instead of having water rations between 0600hrs to 0900hrs and then from 1800hrs to 2100hrs for Pak Kret, Nontharburi and one other district, the relevant authority might just open them fully again. The colour of the water is now yellow and brown in many areas and also smells to high heaven, but "they" claim it is safe to drink and was only discoloured by water lilies.
The local high school is now calling for cooked food so my daughter and wife became master chefs and will probably poison all the people who didn't drown. And of course, as this is Thailand when they handed over the plastic bags of food, there was the mandatory photo session, which actually might be incriminating evidence.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:40 pm

trader wrote:been a avid reader for ages :)

just joined a few mins ago :D

first post i read is the above :lol: retraced it from there :D

geordie the two members in question have posted several thousand posts between them on this site and i have found their contribitionsvery worthy indeed so why do we need your two bobs worths :) both members are very experienced :D leave it to them to work out their differences

and sure this will be done with applomb :D

Not so sure myself but i do try ocasionally to put out fires before the building burns
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby geordie » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:51 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
An update on the floods at Pak Kret. The fresh water canal that was breached on Chang Wattana Road is back under the control of the police, which means that instead of having water rations between 0600hrs to 0900hrs and then from 1800hrs to 2100hrs for Pak Kret, Nontharburi and one other district, the relevant authority might just open them fully again. The colour of the water is now yellow and brown in many areas and also smells to high heaven, but "they" claim it is safe to drink and was only discoloured by water lilies.
The local high school is now calling for cooked food so my daughter and wife became master chefs and will probably poison all the people who didn't drown. And of course, as this is Thailand when they handed over the plastic bags of food, there was the mandatory photo session, which actually might be incriminating evidence.

I took the niece to the temple at wimbledon the other day with some chicken she cooked as an offering for her Grandpa who had been buried ???? burnt the day before in Thailand she treated the chicken the same as they treated Grandad too much heat ??? I know the kitchen staff at the temple and it was withdrawn diplomatically before the monks ate so don,t worry too much Rodger they all have strong stomaches and they will eat if they are hungry :mrgreen:
The news over here has stopped so i am assuming there is a more than 50% chance of BKK surviving for the time being could it be the sandbags causing the discolouration
geordie

Postby tomquic » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:14 pm

Geordie ...

The 'coloured' water we have at the moment is due to a failure in a couple of the water supply canals to the treatment plant as I understand it ... it looks and smells like the dam I used to swim in as a kid on the farm ... not likely to hurt anyone .. but my daughter has reported a skin rash ... so might be some nasties in it from all the chems going into it upstream at Rojana and other Industrial estates -- who would know ..

Still 24hr news here on the floods ,.. lets hope things are stabilising but not so sure .... the floods are definitely moving through the suburbs of BKK on the way to the Gulf ... ominously towards the new airport -- lets hope that really is 'safe'.
tomquic

Postby geordie » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:28 pm

I always find it odd to see brown muggy water and assume its from the paddies ? on the same basis i was assuming :roll: the sand bagging would contribute ? as you say there is all kinds of stuff floating around so best to be cautious hope the kids,ok and not serious
They would not want to lose face too much so a claim of we won that one you have water comes as no suprise Whats the latest on the high tides ? i had no sooner sent the last post=no news!! then it came on that they think they might surv :roll: ve it although they do not suggest where the water being held back diverted is going 8) RR cannot have all of it that would not be fair
geordie

Postby tomquic » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:30 pm

Geordie,

I can accurately advise that the tides on Chaopraya were the highest they have ever been today ( well the highest I have seen in 10+ years) ... although they are expecting them to be slightly lower tomorrow. Localised flooding along the river ... obviously worse in some areas than others .. but all appears to be tidal.

Regards -- 'where's it all going?' -- the flow towards the ocean is quite dramatic ... the authorities - now that there is central control - is really pushing as much as they can , as fast as they can, down the river ... as an example -- we normally have a tidal movement of up to 1.5m from low to high ... at the moment at low tide -- lucky if it drops 40-50cm max ... which means someone is actually really doing their job now and pushing it out.

Fortunately the 'character' who is the Bangkok Mayor has 'pulled his head in ' a bit over the weekend and maybe -- just maybe, people are starting to work together for a few hours at least, instead of the constant posturing we see - which is very tiring.

There is a lot flowing to the East and West of the city also and unfortunately a lot of folk in those areas are now beginning to cop it .... prayers for them all please - incl our PM .
tomquic

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:24 pm

tomquic,
I have to agree with what you have written, finally people are working together. It certainly took long enough. I think the very high tides end on Monday and I haven't heard any news about the next lot being very high, and also the weather will improve: http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/48456.html
The workers have told the builder that the floods are down to just over soi level and food and water have been delivered so they are pretty right for the next week.
The one bit of bad news came from some journalists who found two rooms jammed full of portable toilets and water purifying bags donated from Japan and they are definitely the two things people need at the moment. We are now also getting regular updates in our village early in the morning and after 1800hrs at night via the speaker system... another first. The last time we got one we were told we were going under at 0330hrs.... and then nothing until this morning. I hope people got angry enough for the powers that be to understand you can't keep them like mushrooms.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:07 pm

Just as a follow-up to my earlier post about portable toilets and water purification bags, it would appear to be a whole lot worse than that. Here's the video :http://www.posttoday.com/กทม.-ภูมิภาค/กทม./119077/เปิดคลิปแฉศปภ-ตุนของบริจาค
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:10 pm

I don't know why it didn't come out as a link, but if you go here: http://asiancorrespondent.com/author/bangkokpundit/ and then look in the righthand column you'll see 2bangkok so just click on the thread.
Roger Ramjet

Postby tomquic » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:28 pm

Roger,

I have already seen / heard about this clip and there is a whole 'other' story about it as well .... the video was released by a 'certain' jaundiced media outlet anonymously - which always makes me suspicious.
There is no doubt it is a video of items collected and stored -- but absolutely no basis to the fact that is is being hoarded or kept for re-sale by govt or other officials .. as has been suggested. More mischief making methinks ... probably just mis-management -- I'm sure yr pretty used to it ( as I am ) .. by now .. at least there are back up supplies ... and if our boys in green .. or at least their bosses ever extracted the digit ... then it would get to the people that need it more quickly ....

Things do seem to be moving a little more quickly now and hopefully the peaks in yr area are lowering -- we have family off Tiwanon road too ...

Cheers - Tom.
tomquic

Postby geordie » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:13 pm

Prayers have been offered as to any notice taken :?:
I am sincerely happy that this far a tragedy has not struck of course there will be a growing army of disgruntlled people who took the advice and evacuated :roll: but what the hell most of them will get back home to a fairly normal life Rodger Bugger as it is false alarms no alarm would be worse if there was a breach but it would be 100% better if you were kept informed so you could make an educated decision but thats probably the last thing the politicians want an educated public Its great news that the authorities are actually working together now and even though its spreading inland i would have expected that as they try to prevent a breach with these high tides that situation will hopefully change when the tides drop to a normal level but for now great news
My comments on the aid still stand it will turn up later and be sent to pattaya or hua hin where its not needed
geordie

Postby tomquic » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:32 pm

RR ,

Wondered how things were out yr way ??? we are still getting very high tides here in Klong san ... so I am guessing things are still pretty wet up where you are? have the waters dropped at all in Bang Bua Thong? I heard they were dropping? Hope all are safe anyway ..
Cheers ... Tom.
tomquic

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:59 pm

tomquic,
The last high tide was yesterday (Monday night) and all along the Chao P river at Pak Kret everyone has breathed a sigh of relief but there's still a long way to go.
The workers at the new house at Bang Bua Thong said the level has fluctuated from ankle deep to just under knee deep as more water is released as sandbags are pulled away and there's still a mass of water to come down from the north.
I think the PM said it would be at least 10 - 20 days before clean-ups could start in Bang Bua Thong. I know it was a large timeframe because they have to unblock all the blockages and let it all drain. We still can't get anywhere near there with Bang Bua Thong still totally under water in many places, highway 345 impassible and unable to be used, and all the U turns under the highway totally flooded and even using Rama 5 and 6 bridge is not an option at this stage because they lead to more water.
The fresh water canal has again been repaired, but now the water quality is just about undrinkable. I've been filling neighbour's water containers and I've had to take out the ceramic filter ever two or three containers and clean it, otherwise it would just stop running because of the junk in it and it stinks.
I see the PM flexed her muscles and ordered the BMA to open a sluice gate a full 1 metre and of course the BG refused saying he needed the orders in writing....very childish. But it is now open 1 metre and under the control of the flood people, not the BMA. I just wonder when the games will finish?
They also closed the Government Complex on Chaeng Wattana Road again. The one place I thought would flood Muang Thong Thani is still high and dry and my door lady assures me they will be ready when the floods recede.
That's about it for now.
Roger Ramjet

Postby otis-a » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:23 pm

''and ordered the BMA to open a sluice gate a full 1 metre and of course the BG refused saying he needed the orders in writing....very childish. ''
rr are you grinding ye ole political axe again...?
From my perspective, As former operations engineer, is normal to request written orders... Especially in the current circumstances.
Perhaps in the demo business after hours works proceed without written orders?
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

PreviousNext

Return to disasters