Flood Related from Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Floods, droughts, tsunami's and other natural disasters affecting coolthaihouse.members.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Flood Related from Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby geordie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:24 am

Split from RR's Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Given that even a stupid suggestion has possibilities has any one thought of getting a huge
block of polystyrene say a couple of feet thick 16ftx6ft decking with a metal frame set level to the ground for parking in emergencies the idea being if the place floods the car has its own raft = a water operated lift :roll:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:56 am

Update: waiting, waiting, waiting.
Saturday at 1800hrs will be crunch time from what I understand... that's when there will be an abnormally high tide with water from the Chao P having nowhere to go for about an hour either side of that mark. Of course none of this came from the authorities, it is speculation on my part because of the abysmal coverage of the floods in English. And the politicians of all persuasions are to blame, playing their silly little games to the hilt. Now if I were a Thai I would wait until that stupid politician came around to my house with his boat full of supplies (supplied at taxpayer expense), but instead of a wah he'd get my right fist right in his face, which is what he deserved.
If you watch Thai TV and then the English version it is as if you are in the twilight zone (one version for the people and one for the tourists).
If I were the PM I would sack most of my ministers...the rest I would publicly execute.
To complete my build I need just two items; Photos below:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Roger Ramjet

Postby otis-a » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:06 pm

aye yes
the venerible army Duck. Spent many hours in em both on and off the water. It cruzes well, manuvers well in water. The monster tyres are good to get over all the left over debri. As i recall it needs a good 2m of water to float, otherwise use the all wheel drive. The prop is recessed but still can get buggered. I would think the newer version use water jets to avoid open props.
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby geordie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:52 pm

otis-a wrote:aye yes
the venerible army Duck. Spent many hours in em both on and off the water. It cruzes well, manuvers well in water. The monster tyres are good to get over all the left over debri. As i recall it needs a good 2m of water to float, otherwise use the all wheel drive. The prop is recessed but still can get buggered. I would think the newer version use water jets to avoid open props.

http://www.londonducktours.co.uk/gallery/river have a look at how the mighty have fallen
geordie

Postby Tommy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:24 pm

http://www.ducktours.com.sg/duck.php
of the duck in Singapore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhMp8Anh ... e=youtu.be
Aerial footage of the floods..

nothing else much i can comment about for now.
Tommy

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:54 pm

Just to stay army correct the one in London is not a DUWK (correct spelling) it's actually a 2 1/2 ton LARC. The LARC was hopeless both in and out of water, however the DUWK was a lot better, hence its use on Heard Island to supply Antarctica by the Australian Army. The only drawback it had was the single prop shaft that you could never disengage and the fact you needed 3 observers and a driver. The Australian Army still uses them in flood situations.

Tommy,
That youtube video is a ripper, in fact it's probably the best one I've seen so far, pity the news networks here didn't use it days ago.
Roger Ramjet

Postby otis-a » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:57 pm

ww-II vintage ducks
now that is what i call mileage.. Now that is what i call a Slow but sure way to get round world..
otis-a

Postby geordie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:25 pm

I have a feeling someone stuck sails on one with other mods and did a good tour with one
you could not keep it fed with fuel long enough to go any sort of distance at todays prices
The good news is there are still a good few of them about but they were built to last the same as most army kit I will have to look on the other computer for some pictures of the newest generation of off road fuel tanker being killed in action there were two issued for test and training one was killed two-three years ago and still has not been put back into service I was there on the day and its a strange feeling to see a tractor unit (truck) towing a fuel tank as a barge through deep water the water was too deep and the tank floated the truck made it out of the water then died from massive computer failure 20 mins later

The shots of BKK from the helicopter with trafic running around and in all honesty looking pretty normal is a bit sureal considering mins before they were above the floods dropping aid out of the door of the second helicopter the problem is getting your head around the scale of the devastation its causing you are right Rodger that footage should be put on the Tv
its totally stopped over here nothing for a couple of days and the coverage was minute in comparison to the newspapers hacking phone,s afecting a few dozen people its crazy i have had a two minuite conversation with the wife about = nothing so reliant on what i see here to keep updataed on whats happening
geordie

Postby geordie » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:37 pm

BBC news have announced a five day public holiday has been declared in BKK for residents to get out as they think they are about to lose the battle and large area,s of BKK are about to go under water so it looks like things are about to become really serious how do they expect to evacuate when the place is virtually surrounded

One bit of amusement about four people pushing a small honda/toyota out of the flood,s they have over inflated four inner tubes and strapped them to the wheels floating the car so full marks for inovation it could also be a saviour for some especially if you put some under the car as well then moor it to something solid you may well have a car/truck afterwards and if you get really desperate a raft
geordie

Postby otis-a » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:07 pm

disaster.go.th/dpm/flood/floodEng.html

does this help any?
otis-a

Postby otis-a » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:11 pm

is tis site of any utility?

flood.gistda.or.th/
otis-a

Postby otis-a » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:17 pm

http://www.google.org/crisisresponse/th ... -2011.html

this seems like someone is up to they arse in crocs
otis-a

Postby Tommy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:27 pm

@RR, there are many more video postings on youtube. I realised that whats shared among these unofficial sources gives a much clearer + uncensored picture of whats really happening.

Stay safe, stay dry. if i come across any other good links will post here again.

PS: not trying to hijack this thread into unrelated topics. still following your build closely.
Tommy

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:33 pm

Now I'm going to post a link to the Australian National University website http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/ which will give some of you the benefit of what the good professors and their students have been discussing and finding out about the floods. There's some useful information there that you won't find elsewhere. I might add that the two professors who run the site both speak Thai fluently and have extensive contact with Thai academics.
There are maps that you probably have never seen showing the exact extent of the flooding and also articles about who should shoulder most of the blame. I'm not going to talk about red and yellow except to say the previous government knew that the floods would come because they started in May/June.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:30 am

Any more updates Rodger or you just sitting braced for the inevitable
I get the feeling BK bill is upcountry somewhere right now with a smile on his face just when Bankok could use a major plumbing overhaul
geordie

Next

Return to disasters