Medical Insurance

Issues related to medical treatment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Medical Insurance

Postby jazzman » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:16 am

No insurance company will entertain pre-existing conditions. it would be like smashing your car up and then expecting to go out and get fully comp insurance to cover the damage. However, there are exceptions...
jazzman

Postby geordie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:08 pm

hi jazzman nice comparison most days i wake up feeling like a write off
its getting easier to ask what is not broke rather than what is
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:29 pm

geordie wrote:hi jazzman nice comparison most days i wake up feeling like a write off
its getting easier to ask what is not broke rather than what is

And here I thought it was just me. :D :D :D
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby cruzing » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:44 am

Rick B wrote:Otis-a, of course all policies are not the same, but in my limited experience, most US-based policies exclude coverage outside the US. Best if you read the fine print of the policy to see if and what is covered outside of the USA.

Even Kaiser Permanente will pay your out of pocket expenses accrued in Thailand. I have a friend who always got medical care while visiting Thailand and turned in the bill to KP and they were reimbursed. Same with other companies, mayb not ALL, but they are out there.

cruzing
cruzing

Postby jazzman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:23 am

Please do not confuse the fees of USA and Thai based firms. Thailand and Western countries have completely different economies. My mother pays in ONE MONTH in the UK for her BUPA what I pay in ONE YEAR for my BUPA in Thailand. Foreign insurance schemes that cover you while you are on holiday in Thailand are an entirely different kettle of fish.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby cruzing » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:12 pm

Kaiser Permanente is regular group health insurance it is NOT a holiday insurance plan. It is what many people in S. Ca AND other parts of the U.S.
have for health care Insurance. Very good health care and usually quite affordable in a group. When I had my surgery I walked in signed papers and walked out signing the release forms, nothing out of pocket....and not even a Kaiser Hospital but the Woman's hospital in San Diego.
There are other group health care plans that operate the same, but of all that I have had, KP has been the best and will willingly send you outside the system for treatment, second opinions etc. We never had any complaints about the quality or the cost of coverage. My coverage per year through my husband's work group, was less than 50,000 baht at the current rates, and at the time of actual coverage the amount would have been somewhat less.

The big problem with MOST healthcare policies in Thailand...local OR foreign is that you have to sign up before age 60 to get lifetime coverage otherwise it's just until age 70. Unfortunately my husband did not return to Thailand until he was aged 60, and did not get insurance immediately so will have to either pay out of pocket, return to the states for major healthcare, or use the local hospital programs.

cruzing
cruzing

Postby jazzman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:02 pm

That is correct Cruzing. It's what most Europeans forget because all Europeans are automatically covered by law for free (well at least a modest mandatory stoppage from their monthly salary, and the validity continues even through periods on the dole). Their national insurance does not however automatically cover them for foreign countries unless their country has a reciprocal agreement.
jazzman

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:42 pm

Interesting article from Phuket Wan Tourism News
Phuket Retirees 'Must Have Health Insurance'
By Alan Morison and Chutima Sidasathian
Sunday, December 19, 2010
EXPAT retirees should be made to take out health insurance before being allowed to stay on Phuket, says the Chief Executive of the Phuket Provincial Administrative Organisation, Paiboon Upatising.

He called this week for compulsory health insurance as part of a general reform to tighten the issuing of retirement visas to expats.

''Some retirees are allowed to stay, but they do not have health insurance,'' he told Phuketwan. ''When they fall sick, they take beds in public hospitals, but they cannot pay.''

Khun Paiboon said there were about 40 cases in the past 12 months where expat retirees were admitted and treated at Phuket's public hospitals, although they did not have the money to pay for treatment.

''Retirees who qualify are allowed to stay, but some do not have health insurance,'' he said. ''When they fall sick, they take beds in public hospitals, although they have no money.

''Right now, Vachira Hospital and Patong Hospital have some farang [expats] who live in Phuket but they cannot pay for the medical treatment.''

Khun Paiboon also said there were expat retirees who borrowed money to meet the provision of the retirement visa, which requires 800,000 baht in the bank.

''They borrow the money, put it into the bank for three months, but don't keep it in the bank all the time,'' he said.

Thailand's visa regulations would need to change to make Khun Paiboon's suggestion a nationwide law.

Phuket has three public hospitals and all are under growing pressure for bed space because of the increasing number of residents on Phuket, including an estimated 200,000 Burmese.

At times, the beds at Vachira Hospital spill from wards into elevator foyers and corridors.

Khun Paiboon intends to raise the suggestion of compulsory health insurance and reforms to retirement visas first at a meeting with the Governor of Phuket, Tri Augkaradacha, then at the Phuket ''Parliament'' with honorary consuls and embassy representatives in February.

The move is likely to win the support of the envoys and be suggested to the national government as a necessary reform.

Compulsory insurance for visiting tourists has also been suggested by honorary consuls but is unlikely to win approval because it would make Thailand less competitive in comparison to other destinations in Asia.

Uninsured visitors who suffer serious injury in a motorcycle fall or some other mishap quickly build up large hospital bills in Thailand and can find other aspects of their lives are severely affected.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby fredlk » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:50 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Interesting article

A couple of hundred thousand or more expats will then have to leave. There are almost no insurers who take on those over 60 and there is nothing they can do about it.
I guarantee that this 'bright idea' will never become an issue here.
fredlk

Postby Nawty » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:02 pm

I got a quote for new insurance from another company just recently, coverage sounds very good, but then they stop it at 65yo.

What do you do after 65yo ??

It was half price of my current insurance for 5 people instead of 4, but the per year max amount is somewhat less at $500k per year, whereas current is $1mil.....wonder if you ever actually really need the 1mil here in Los.

The 65yo kickout worries me but.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Previous

Return to medical