Medical Insurance

Issues related to medical treatment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Medical Insurance

Postby Marttaff » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:59 pm

Anyone give any advice on Medical Insurance. Im a soon to be expat and wondering whether better to fix up at home (UK) or see what is on offer in LOS
What do you do?
Looking to retire to Thailand in April 2008 any assistance with any problems with visa land purchase or house building greatly received and appreciated. Always happy to chat with those in similair situations. Life is one big learning curve!!
Marttaff

Postby dozer » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:18 am

There are many insurance companies here which offer medical. Some of them don't have high limit insurance. The one I use is BUPA which has a several levels of coverage and can be used internationally. I had an appendicitis operation and they covered all costs no money out of pocket. This is important here since the good hospitals require payment before admission, if an emergency it is nice to have a card they can accept. It is much cheaper to buy insurance here than it would be overseas.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Marttaff » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:10 pm

dozer wrote:There are many insurance companies here which offer medical. Some of them don't have high limit insurance. The one I use is BUPA which has a several levels of coverage and can be used internationally. I had an appendicitis operation and they covered all costs no money out of pocket. This is important here since the good hospitals require payment before admission, if an emergency it is nice to have a card they can accept. It is much cheaper to buy insurance here than it would be overseas.

Thanx Dozer, I assume you are able to get BUPA out there then.
Looking to retire to Thailand in April 2008 any assistance with any problems with visa land purchase or house building greatly received and appreciated. Always happy to chat with those in similair situations. Life is one big learning curve!!
Marttaff

BUPA medical insurance

Postby jazzman » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:20 am

Dozer has made a perfect recommendation IMHO. I have also been with the Thai division of BUPA for several years and have had excellent service. It is a British company and today it is the largest private patients' plan in the world. There are several regional offices in Thailand: Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pattaya, Phuket and even Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima) which takes care of Isaan. There is never any reason whatsoever to actually go to one of their offices personally - unusual for Thailand, their staff have an excellent understanding of e-mail, and the use of attachments and they operate a 24/7 telephone service, and they WILL call YOU back if you ask them to, because (in the Bangkok office), to get the same customer service person on the phone again later who knows the background to your case means going again through their interactive phone exchange and then finally being put on hold while they try to find the person you spoke to last time.
See them at http://www.bupathailand.com
The package I chose costs me about 14,000 baht per year and covers full major medical and OPD.

Full information and overview about medical insurance for expats in Thailand is available here:
http://www.ajarn.com/asktony.htm but it is kind of a plug for the expat who is a freelance agent for some of the companies. Doubtless he provides an excellent service for those who are not prepared to shop around and find out for themselves.
jazzman

Medical Ins.

Postby Marttaff » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:11 pm

Thanks guys, thats interesting and I must say very reasonable, I take on board all you have said and will look closer into it. Can I arrange it from the uk with BUPA Thailand?
Marttaff

BUPA

Postby jazzman » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:26 pm

If you know where you will be living in Thailand you can contact their nearest regional office or contact the Head Office here:

3079/25 Sukhumvit Rd. Prakanong Bangkok 10260
Contact Khun Thinida Puphaibulphol
E-mail : Sukhumvit101@bupa.co.th
Tel: 0-2730-5707 Fax : 0-2730-5709

It is most unlikely that BUPA UK will sign you up for the Thai package. But when you have decided what you would like by thoroughly surfing their Thai site, they will accept payment by credit card.

Jazzman
jazzman

Medical Ins

Postby Marttaff » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:24 pm

Thanks.
I'm all geared for Issan, possibly Kranuan near Khon kaen or Nongkhai.
Marttaff

Postby jazzman » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:51 pm

How on earth did you decide on on Kranuan? Apart from Howard's own version of Fawlty Towers, it's got nowt els mooch goin fur it.
jazzman

Hi

Postby Marttaff » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:22 pm

Faulty Towers...thats a good one...but true. My Gf is a teacher there.but that there is nothing there is an attraction ....tho I think Nongkhai is fav....
Marttaff

Thailife Insurance

Postby BeatThailife » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:28 pm

Hope you are satisfied now Jazzman. What was meant as a good gesture was mistaken as a commercial advertisement. I'm living in Thailand 11 years already. I had a back surgery in 1999 and are carrying 6 screws in my lower back. So you can imagine that it wasnt easy for me to get insured. CP/Allianz, BUPA, AIA, everywhere I got only a "NO, Sorry". But I finally got in with Thailife. So I thought there might be other Expats in Thailand which have the same problem as me, and I just wanted to give advice or lets say a chance to look into a possibility to get an insurance from Thailife.
I'm not an Insurance agent, I'm only a simple Expat who cares for other one's living here.
If my ad was misunderstood, I apologize for it.
Last edited by BeatThailife on Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BeatThailife

Postby jazzman » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:11 pm

BeatThaiLife,

Appologies accepted. I'm sorry I sounded so upset. It looks as if someone has removed your original posting anyway. There's still nothing to stop you recommending an insurance company from whom you have received particularly good service. That would be the kind of information we all need here.

BTW, do you know anything about herbal remedies and cures?

Jazzman
Last edited by jazzman on Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazzman

Sneaky advertising

Postby jazzman » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:27 pm

Jazzman has deleted this posting - the matter is resolved.
http://coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637 :)
jazzman

Postby Nawty » Sat May 19, 2007 9:08 pm

Crikey, my insurance is 100k per year.

Mind you it covers a family of 4 also.

When i contated BUPA some time ago for a quote, their coverage was not that good for the price of the premium, might go for another quote.

I am insured with IMS in HK, they have an agent here and I have been covered very well for 2 knee operations in 12 months, plus a pregnancy...not mine personally....
Nawty

Postby rosegate » Sun May 20, 2007 6:54 am

Nawty wrote:Crikey, my insurance is 100k per year.

Mind you it covers a family of 4 also.

When i contated BUPA some time ago for a quote, their coverage was not that good for the price of the premium, might go for another quote.

I am insured with IMS in HK, they have an agent here and I have been covered very well for 2 knee operations in 12 months, plus a pregnancy...not mine personally....

I agree Nawty, when I looked into Bupa sometime ago it was cheap, but the cover was not great, I do my insurance through IPH in the UK, but go through a broker in Ptty, I pay 75,000 baht for 2 adults & 1 child, I get 2 million $ of cover worlwide accept US & Canada, my particular policy does not cover out-patients, but you can get this but costs more!!!!
rosegate

Postby Nawty » Sun May 20, 2007 11:43 am

Would you mind sending me a contact email for that rep in Pattaya.

I am keen to get some more quotes as my insurance went up 25% at xmas time for no real reason, it was also 75k last year for full coverage except OPD.
Nawty

Next

Return to medical