HIV/AIDS in Thailand

Issues related to medical treatment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

HIV/AIDS in Thailand

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:28 am

As a lead-in to the subject I'll post this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV/AIDS_in_Thailand
Two nights ago my brother-in-law died of Aids and his body is being held at a local country hospital morgue until the cremation on Sunday. He has had HIV/AIDS for the last 20 years and refused all offers of treatment. I even bought him to Bangkok to see my Australian doctor, but he just refused to accept help or the fact it would kill him without treatment. His younger brother, who at the time was a monk arranged for him to go to a special temple in Lop Buri where they supplied free drugs and treatment through the UN aids program. He lasted less than two weeks and just came home.
He was taken to the local hospital one week ago where they refused to admit him, just inserted a drip and left him on a gurney in the emergency room and he only got that far because my wife and I travelled up there and confronted the doctors and administration. When the results of the blood tests came back the doctor said he was fine and he could be taken home. He weighed about 70 lbs and looked like a WW2 POW from the Burma Railway. He couldn't walk, he couldn't talk and all his limbs were frozen. He also couldn't swallow food and water.
We had arranged for a nurse to visit daily, but even though paid for she/he didn't show-up nor would the hospital talk about why there was a no show. I've watched a lot of people die both in war and later from cancer or other diseases, but HIV/AIDS far exceeded even my sometimes callus heart. It is not a pleasant disease to die from.
And now comes the funeral and cremation, but first all the rip-offs from the local public hospital. Things like signing documents that say they had been providing him with 3,000 baht medication a week for the last 10 years, forced storage of his body till Sunday , "preparing him for the cremation" then transportation to the temple, when we had arranged for the cremation the following morning (Tuesday). There is no excuse for any of this, he's supposed to be covered by the 30 baht medical health care scheme which seems to have just been thrown out the window. There was a lot more "bills" I got my wife to translate before I confronted the "doctors and Administration" but all I got was that stupid grin and ignorance and "you can afford it".
And just two weeks ago I read the country had run out of HIV/Aids drugs for treating patients because the head honcho of the agency in charge had not ordered them. The UN and WHO, as well as all the other governments in more affluent countries all donate millions of dollars to eradicate/contain the spread of HIV/Aids along with the subsidy of the more expensive medicines, but it is not working, well not in Thailand anyway.
My brother-in-law died through his own stupidy, not through the lack of international aid coming into the country, so I'm wondering why, and under whose authority, all these hospital "bills" have been issued in?
Roger Ramjet

Re: HIV/AIDS in Thailand

Postby fredlk » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:54 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:As a lead-in to the subject I'll post this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV/AIDS_in_Thailand
Two nights ago my brother-in-law died of Aids and his body is being held at a local country hospital morgue until the cremation on Sunday. He has had HIV/AIDS for the last 20 years and refused all offers of treatment. I even bought him to Bangkok to see my Australian doctor, but he just refused to accept help or the fact it would kill him without treatment. His younger brother, who at the time was a monk arranged for him to go to a special temple in Lop Buri where they supplied free drugs and treatment through the UN aids program. He lasted less than two weeks and just came home.
He was taken to the local hospital one week ago where they refused to admit him, just inserted a drip and left him on a gurney in the emergency room and he only got that far because my wife and I travelled up there and confronted the doctors and administration. When the results of the blood tests came back the doctor said he was fine and he could be taken home. He weighed about 70 lbs and looked like a WW2 POW from the Burma Railway. He couldn't walk, he couldn't talk and all his limbs were frozen. He also couldn't swallow food and water.
We had arranged for a nurse to visit daily, but even though paid for she/he didn't show-up nor would the hospital talk about why there was a no show. I've watched a lot of people die both in war and later from cancer or other diseases, but HIV/AIDS far exceeded even my sometimes callus heart. It is not a pleasant disease to die from.
And now comes the funeral and cremation, but first all the rip-offs from the local public hospital. Things like signing documents that say they had been providing him with 3,000 baht medication a week for the last 10 years, forced storage of his body till Sunday , "preparing him for the cremation" then transportation to the temple, when we had arranged for the cremation the following morning (Tuesday). There is no excuse for any of this, he's supposed to be covered by the 30 baht medical health care scheme which seems to have just been thrown out the window. There was a lot more "bills" I got my wife to translate before I confronted the "doctors and Administration" but all I got was that stupid grin and ignorance and "you can afford it".
And just two weeks ago I read the country had run out of HIV/Aids drugs for treating patients because the head honcho of the agency in charge had not ordered them. The UN and WHO, as well as all the other governments in more affluent countries all donate millions of dollars to eradicate/contain the spread of HIV/Aids along with the subsidy of the more expensive medicines, but it is not working, well not in Thailand anyway.
My brother-in-law died through his own stupidy, not through the lack of international aid coming into the country, so I'm wondering why, and under whose authority, all these hospital "bills" have been issued in?

I'm sorry to hear your sad news but I have one correction, hiv-medication is free in Thailand. It was free for those with a CD4-count of less than 350 but it is now available to all irrespective of the numbers. For those who maybe aren't aware, AIDS is when the CD4 count drops below 200.
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:38 am

fredlk wrote:I'm sorry to hear your sad news but I have one correction, hiv-medication is free in Thailand.

Exactly why I took him to see my Aussie doctor to get him into the free program. Also the reason why I challenged and refused to let my mother-in-law sign the hospital document that claimed 4,000 baht per week for 10 years. Something about this whole thing stinks, especially when Thailand runs out of HIV/Aids medicine because it wasn't ordered.
How do they expect people up country to pay the massive costs of a funeral?
Roger Ramjet

Postby unclezillion » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:46 am

when my mother in law was suffering from stage 4 lung cancer siriraj refused to treat her.
so much for government hospitals.
One further thing RR "nobody dies from AIDS" people die from AIDS related illnesses.
i have recently got over Hepatitis C again you cannot die from this but it opens up the possibilities of a myriad of other opportunistic diseases that I thankfully do not have :)
When at university in the 80's my good friend Andria Efthimiou-Mordaunt ( John mordaunt was shipped out of China in a rubber suit in the early 80's due to being HIV+ :shock: )
was involved in drafting policies relating to HIV/AIDS and we visited a HIV/AIDS hospice and i can still remember to this day how this illness ravages people in its final stages. Thankfully nowadays it is on a par with diabetes
in as much as with the right care you can expect to live a normal life!
unclezillion

Return to medical