hospitals and health issues

Issues related to medical treatment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

hospitals and health issues

Postby fredlk » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:24 pm

SInce walking the dogs in the morning in only casual shoes and no socks, I've received the occasional cut or scratch from branches and other stuff in the fields. Not all that serious until maybe 6 weeks ago when I got what looked like a splinter in my right heel. I couldn't get it out, but from walking with it it had turned into a blister and became painful. No big deal and it cleared up a lot over time. In between I got something similar on the side of the left foot. Same sequence of events. Then one just under a finger nail. Then a scratch on my left foot turned a bit nasty so I got serious with the Gentian Violet and Antiseptic Cream and Iodine, but it took a long time to heal, about a week until it was dry and scabbed over. While this one was happening a pimple on the same foot turned into a boil-lookalike and reacted identically. All the Thai said I must see a doctor and as I knew they'd cut and scrape and prevent healing and prescribe antibiotics, I said no. All the wounds were only skin-deep and hadn't spread into adjacent areas.

Then last Friday another boil-like pimple appeared on the heel of my left foot and simultaneously one on my right shoulder. The one on my foot was only 5 millimetres across. I had never had boils in my life and I'm not diabetic so I thought it was starting to look serious. The next morning I went to the Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital Dermatology Department and asked to see the doctor. I think they are only used to doing penis- and breast-enlargements because all the doctor could show me were pictures on Google of Gangrene. I said I want a biopsy. She wasn't too pleased with my demand, but got the 'nurse' to arrange things. She came later and said it's a 10,000 Baht deposit. I asked for what and she replied "To test for Cancer". Anyway I was pissed off and went back to the doctor and asked if they would do a full laboratory test or not and she said yes.

She did a biopsy, stitched it up and put on a bandage which she said could not come off till I visited her this coming Friday for the result. I paid 9,000 Baht in the end. I went home and passed out. When I was woken I had a raging fever. I took 2 Paracetemol and went back to sleep. Next morning I noticed blood seeping through the bandages but my fever was down to 38 degrees. I slept most of the day.

Monday morning I woke up with a fever and I could not walk. My leg was a patchy blue and my old half-healed wounds were turning blue as were parts of my foot. I had a lot of pain in my lower leg and in my groin. I decided to take off the "forbidden-to-remove-bandage" and to my horror underneath was a horrific bubble of pus about 6 centimetres across with a blood circle around it and then another ring in purple.

I was immediately taken to the Queen Sirikit Royal Navy Hospital where I saw a surgeon who said it looked like Necrotizing Fasciitis. You can look that one up yourselves, but 73% of the people diagnosed with this bacterial infection die, mostly because of misdiagnosis in the west where they have no idea what they are looking at. It was cut open, drained and dressed and I was admitted into the hospital and put on a drip of serious antibiotics. I started tripping and hallucinating, a little bit like Xtc with a touch of LSD for the scary bits. The care was negligible and when I asked in the evening if they would change my dressing they said "Only once a day".

Next morning the surgeon comes to see me, he opens the dressing and sees the same sight as when he'd first seen me the day before. He asked why it wasn't dressed, I told him and I could see him start to say "F......ing nurses" but being Thai and also knowing he'd get nowhere complaining, he swallowed his tongue and shouted at them "BRING HIM TO MY SURGERY AT 9!"

9 arrives and no wheelchair so I ask. "Yes, it's coming." I went and stood in the middle of the ward with my drip on a pole and when the nurses asked me to go back to bed I said "I am not moving from here until I am taken to see the surgeon." It took only 5 more minutes and I was collected and with students hovering over and some other person who has to continue my care the whole disgusting mess was cut open, emptied and all the skin was removed. It was now about 10 centimetres across. The doctor said that I was lucky as it was still only skin deep and not like another patient of his who had it on the lower leg and whose entire soft tissue had been eaten away within 3 days. The wound was now dressed with a type of sponge to absorb any fluids and would only need re-dressing in 2 days. The doctor told me to go home and he gave the nurses in the ward instructions to give me the antibiotics in oral form. I got dressed and asked for the drip to get taken out. "Tomorrow" they all replied. I stood there and said I was not moving until it was done and that they should phone the surgeon to check with him. One and a half hours later I was outside being driven home.

Back at home everytime I take the pills my brain becomes like an old record with the needle skipping some grooves. It's all still there but I am forgetting half of what I'm doing. 24 hours later and I can walk reasonably well again, I have no pain, no fever and the wound doesn't hurt, but my blood-pressure is higher than usual as is my pulse-rate.

Conclusion: 9,000 Baht at the Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital to receive the infection and 5,000 Baht at the Queen Sirikit Royal Navy Hospital to be cured of it.

Then this morning at 5 a.m. the 23 year-old daughter half of the new staff came and said she had pain in the lower right side of her stomach so she was rushed to Kilo Sip Hospital which is a kind of country hospital. Turns out, after x-rays, that it's only her stomach and intestines protesting about what she's eating as up until Sunday she'd been eating very very little and sometimes nothing. Suddenly here she has real food, as much rice and vegetables as she can eat, fruit and clean water and so it was a shock to her system. They are really really grateful as in their past experience some other boss might have just booted them out.

While they were all gone I discovered a lump under Eddy's front armpit! It was painful and he wouldn't let me clean it. There was no hair on it anymore. When the car returned he was now rushed off to the vet where they did some tests and found it also to be a bacterial infection so he too has antibiotics. Like father, like son.

What a life!!! :shock: :roll: :) :D :lol:
fredlk

Re: hospitals and health issues

Postby MGV12 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:58 pm

Flesh eating disease Fred ... scary!

Sounds like a harrowing experience but at least, unlike many others, you did get the correct diagnosis and treatment in the end.

There's a copycat so why not a copydog :lol:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:25 pm

MGV12 wrote:Sounds like a harrowing experience but at least, unlike many others, you did get the correct diagnosis and treatment in the end.

Actually the story in the telling is quite dramatic, but it didn't feel that way. I wasn't panicked or scared and as the doctors at the Queen Sirikit Hospital seemed to know their stuff I knew I'd live. :D
MGV12 wrote:There's a copycat so why not a copydog :lol:

:lol: When I returned yesterday drugged to the eyeballs, both dogs licked me to bits all over and then ignored me for the rest of the day. I suppose they thought I didn't qualify anymore as Alpha-male.
fredlk

Postby otis-a » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:14 am

where u think infection came from fred?
Was it specific to the soil or to the jabs from vegitation spines?
I recently ditched my gator shoes, the openings let in all sorts o stuff, which dont go out
1st it was a rusty sewing needle jabbed into my foot about 1cm - pulled the irritation - no infection
2nd lots o spines and dirt
3rd slipped going uphill + strap broke gator slid 'round my foot like a mobulas - unreal so ditched em for more conventional open top sorts
-
another bum shoe pair were breathing bottom shoes- all sorts fine particles pass thru and accumulate. So back to conventional nike' types.

A good shoe is like a good friend- keeps u from all sorts of troubles
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby fredlk » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:20 am

otis-a wrote:where u think infection came from fred?
Was it specific to the soil or to the jabs from vegitation spines?

The doctors told me that it is lurking anywhere and everywhere looking for an entry into a piece of skin so it could have been in the sand or in the plants or even in the grass.
Their other patient got his infection in South Sudan just before departing there to come to Thailand so he was very very lucky.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:38 am

otis-a wrote:So back to conventional nike' types.
A good shoe is like a good friend- keeps u from all sorts of troubles

I've been very lazy about shoes since living here and have never been the "Nike-type", but once I'm better I'm off to buy a few pairs plus some good old-fashioned (cotton) socks.
fredlk

Postby pattayapope » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:44 am

Fred sounds like you were pretty lucky and got good service at a reasonable price from Sattahip hospital. I got an interesting email yesterday which seems appropriate for this thread. See below

Cancer, high blood pressure, bacterial infections....WOW!
Funny, I remember my Grandma doing the lemon in water thing to keep "regular". Interesting !!!
Everyone should move to Florida and plant lemon trees.
Useful info that may help someone ....

LISTEN UP FOLKS: This is something that we should all take seriously – just had a recent test myself that sent shivers up my spine – or near by – Even doctors are now saying that there is value in trying “LEMON”

So, a tablespoon of "real lemon" (the concentrate in a bottle) in a glass of water every morning. What can it hurt?
Subject: A must-read- The surprising benefits of lemon!

I remain perplexed!
================================
Institute of Health Sciences, 819 N. L.L.C. Charles StreetBaltimore , MD 1201.
This is the latest in medicine, effective for cancer!
Read carefully & you be the judge.
Lemon (Citrus) is a miraculous product to kill cancer cells. It is 10,000 times stronger than chemotherapy.
Why do we not know about that?
Because there are laboratories interested in making a synthetic version that will bring them huge profits. You can now help a friend in need by letting him/her know that lemon juice is beneficial in preventing the disease. Its taste is pleasant and it does not produce the horrific effects of chemotherapy. How many people will die while this closely guarded secret is kept, so as not to jeopardize the beneficial multimillionaires large corporations? As you know, the lemon tree is known for its varieties of lemons and limes. You can eat the fruit in different ways: you can eat the pulp, juice press, prepare drinks, sorbets, pastries, etc... It is credited with many virtues, but the most interesting is the effect it produces on cysts and tumors.
This plant is a proven remedy against cancers of all types. Some say it is very useful in all variants of cancer.
It is considered also as an anti microbial spectrum against bacterial infections and fungi, effective against internal parasites and worms, it regulates blood pressure which is too high and anantidepressant, combats stress and nervous disorders.
The source of this information is fascinating: it comes from one of the largest drug manufacturers in the world, says that after more than 20 laboratory tests since 1970, the extracts revealed that: It destroys the malignant cells in 12 cancers, including colon, breast, prostate, lung and pancreas.
The compounds of this tree showed 10,000 times better than the product Adriamycin, a drug normally used chemotherapeutic in the world, slowing the growth of cancer cells. And what is even more astonishing: this type of therapy with lemon extract only destroys malignant cancer cells and it does not affect healthy cells.

Institute of Health Sciences, 819 N. L.L.C. Cause Street , Baltimore , MD
pattayapope

Postby MGV12 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:13 am

pattayapope wrote:Fred sounds like you were pretty lucky and got good service at a reasonable price from Sattahip hospital. I got an interesting email yesterday which seems appropriate for this thread. See below

Cancer, high blood pressure, bacterial infections....WOW!
Funny, I remember my Grandma doing the lemon in water thing to keep "regular". Interesting !!!
Everyone should move to Florida and plant lemon trees.
Useful info that may help someone ....

LISTEN UP FOLKS: This is something that we should all take seriously – just had a recent test myself that sent shivers up my spine – or near by – Even doctors are now saying that there is value in trying “LEMON”

So, a tablespoon of "real lemon" (the concentrate in a bottle) in a glass of water every morning. What can it hurt?
Subject: A must-read- The surprising benefits of lemon!

I remain perplexed!
================================
Institute of Health Sciences, 819 N. L.L.C. Charles StreetBaltimore , MD 1201.
This is the latest in medicine, effective for cancer!
Read carefully & you be the judge.
Lemon (Citrus) is a miraculous product to kill cancer cells. It is 10,000 times stronger than chemotherapy............................
.............................. this type of therapy with lemon extract only destroys malignant cancer cells and it does not affect healthy cells.

Institute of Health Sciences, 819 N. L.L.C. Cause Street , Baltimore , MD

I fully appreciate that you posted that in good faith PP but the email has been around for sometime and is claimed to be misleading.

See the following link from Hoax-slayer:

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/lemon-cancer-cells.shtml

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:23 am

otis-a wrote:I recently ditched my gator shoes ......

Me too Otis ... I too had similar problems and would never again wear them in the yard or on rough ground.

The soles are very thin rubber with no protective barrier to penetration from below and when they wear,
which they do quickly, they become babies-bottom smooth and the slightest moisture underfoot can be like walking on ice!

MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:47 pm

MGV12 wrote:
otis-a wrote:I recently ditched my gator shoes ......

Me too Otis ... I too had similar problems and would never again wear them in the yard or on rough ground.

The soles are very thin rubber with no protective barrier to penetration from below and when they wear,
which they do quickly, they become babies-bottom smooth and the slightest moisture underfoot can be like walking on ice!

Not to take away from the first post... I have started wearing Wellington boots on my now daily yard watering detail, was also getting scratches and such that were taking much to long healing.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby fredlk » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:58 pm

pattayapope wrote:So, a tablespoon of "real lemon" (the concentrate in a bottle) in a glass of water every morning.

Anyone know where I can get another bottle of snake oil?

This morning I had my wound cleaned and dressed. It looks pretty disgusting, but the bad colour has gone and it seems to have stabilised and is healing.
I'm less stoned from the antibiotics, but my intestines don't seem to be doing much to hold any food. It's almost straight through down from my stomach.

A photo was taken, but as it is so disgusting I will only place it here if there's a request although I know that otis-a will ask to see it. :lol:
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:16 pm

BKKBILL wrote:I have started wearing Wellington boots on my now daily yard watering detail

Conjures up a mind image of you lording over your new domain:

Duke of Wellington.jpg

But if they are more like these maybe we don't want pics this time:

Wellington boots.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:47 pm

fredlk wrote:
pattayapope wrote:So, a tablespoon of "real lemon" (the concentrate in a bottle) in a glass of water every morning.

Anyone know where I can get another bottle of snake oil?

It's the 21st Century [even in LOS] Fred ... it comes in capsule form not bottles:

snakeoil.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MGV12

Postby fredlk » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:48 pm

MGV12 wrote:It's the 21st Century [even in LOS] Fred ... it comes in capsule form not bottles:

No wonder I couldn't find it.
fredlk

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:18 pm

MGV12 wrote:
Conjures up a mind image of you lording over your new domain:

But if they are more like these maybe we don't want pics this time:

Yes indeed Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington himself.

Was going to say rubber-boots but ........ those white ones with hearts would have been cooler than what I was slogging around in today but my reason for wearing them was the right one.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Next

Return to medical