spectacles and reading glasses

Issues related to medical treatment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

spectacles and reading glasses

Postby fredlk » Fri May 27, 2011 10:18 am

About 5 years ago I bought my 2nd or 3rd pair of multifocals. My eyes are good enough for driving without glasses, but at night I see things better behind the wheel with glasses. For reading I have needed glasses since my 50th year. The multifocals took a lot of getting used to and the centrepoint was never quite in the right place. This week I dropped my glasses and the lens popped out and so I went to the optician to get bifocals. I didn't want to have glasses made here in Bangkok which weren't quite right while I lived in Sattahip and so I figured there was less to get wrong with bifocals.

The optician tested my eyes and there was again a change in the last couple of years. Now I have my bifocals and I can see the television clearly and I can read a book much better, but what to do with the computer? With my reading glasses I have to have the huge iMac 30 centimetres from my nose which means I have to keep moving my head from the one side to the other like the old-fashioned Cinerama screens. With the other section of the glasses I have to make the text larger and move the computer to a metre away.

After this long introduction my question is:
how do other farsighted members work at a computer? I've been toying with getting a second pair which only focusses at about 60 to 70 centimetres.
Any thoughts on the matter?

Blurry-eyed, Sattahip.
fredlk

Re: spectacles and reading glasses

Postby geordie » Fri May 27, 2011 1:52 pm

get a smaller screen and give me the larger one ?
over here (uk) you walk into most big stores and you will find pre made reading glasses alongside it will be a chart basically you read down untill you feel strained look at the number and select a pair of glasses for £2-£10 as oposed to £150
I have got by with a pair for work although not the greates quality its a cheap solution if you can find them
What about some new lenses for the old glasses but not bi focals

Have you tried contacts ? I did for a week and found vision wise they were fantanstic but after a week i had to go to the optician and have them removed i could not get them out myself the wife tried and scrached my eye and so it was back to the optician shame really it was strange being able to see propely with no reflections from behind like you get with glasses
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredlk » Fri May 27, 2011 2:17 pm

geordie wrote:get a smaller screen and give me the larger one ?

:lol: I need it because on average I have 10 or more programs open at any one time.
geordie wrote: pre made reading glasses

I have a pair in each car for if I find myself somewhere without my regular glasses and cannot read the writing. They cost about 150 Baht. I also have a magnifier on my phone.
geordie wrote:What about some new lenses for the old glasses but not bi focals

The frame is a bit tired and also needs replacing. Frames are cheap here. My new one cost 2,500 Baht. The bifocal lenses (non-reflective) cost 4,000 Baht or thereabouts.
geordie wrote:Have you tried contacts ? I did for a week and found vision wise they were fantanstic but after a week i had to go to the optician and have them removed

That's my biggest fear. I get the heebie jeebies even putting drops in my eyes. I don't want alien articles in them.
I only need glasses for reading and for some things at the computer ..... and to read the prices on frames at the optician.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Sat May 28, 2011 2:28 pm

fredlk wrote:how do other farsighted members work at a computer?

I am so pleased for you all, of the 1,012 members I seem to be the only farsighted one who needs glasses. :lol:
fredlk

Postby geordie » Sat May 28, 2011 4:12 pm

urghhh excuse me
fredlk wrote:
fredlk wrote:how do other farsighted members work at a computer?

I am so pleased for you all, of the 1,012 members I seem to be the only farsighted one who needs glasses. :lol:

maybe its an age thing ? no one wants to admit it the same as when the hearing goes :lol: :lol: :lol:
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat May 28, 2011 4:16 pm

Fred,
I wear glasses and have a 27" iMac. But then I paid 8,000 baht for mine and I clean them regularly. I can't read a newspaper with them easily, so I use another more powerful pair that also cost 8,000 baht. Are you sure the lens are not made in China? I got mine from a real optometrist who personally did all the readings.... twice....they are crystal clear. The first pair is for 3 for 10 feet, the second pair just for reading. She even made me open a newspaper and measured the distance. Beware of the shops that don't have an optometrist and just rely on machines and kids with little knowledge.
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Sat May 28, 2011 4:33 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:I paid 8,000 baht for mine

My last pair were multifocals and 16,000. The frames were 8,000 and the lenses 8,000. These bifocals the lenses are 4,000 but just as good.
Roger Ramjet wrote:I can't read a newspaper with them easily

I can read a book with my new ones and see the computer screen clearly with the reading part if it's about 40 cm away.
I can read a book and see the computer clearly with the top part if the computer is 1 metre away.
Roger Ramjet wrote:they are crystal clear

So are mine. They are excellent. I was asking what to do with the middle distance with bifocals as a farsighted person.
I see everything crystal clear close up and far away but at about 60 centimetres the reading part starts to be less effective while the farsighted top bit is not yet effective.
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat May 28, 2011 6:14 pm

Fred,
Perhaps you need trifocals?
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Sat May 28, 2011 6:25 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Perhaps you need trifocals?

Something like that. The multifocals were quadrifocals or more but they took many sittings to get just right and so I decided this time I wanted less hassle before the move.
I'll go to a BetterVision or similar in the area soon, take my iMac and my desk with me and ask them to make up something that works exactly. :lol:
(I wonder if opticians and ophthalmologists do house-calls? :wink: )
fredlk

Postby geordie » Sun May 29, 2011 1:55 am

think outside the box fred

GET A LONGER CABLE ON THE KEYBOARD :roll:
geordie

Postby fredlk » Sun May 29, 2011 5:15 am

geordie wrote:GET A LONGER CABLE ON THE KEYBOARD :roll:

Get with it :shock: , my keyboards haven't had cables since the late 1990's. :D (I don't even have a mouse ..... Confused? One day I'll explain.)
Larger text is of course easy to produce, but I prefer not to zoom in too much because then my large screen shows less type than an A4.
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Sun May 29, 2011 6:46 am

You want to try getting used to varifocals or the like when you have three vertebrae fused together in your neck ... well of course you don't really ... all that head movement ... can't handle it :( They also made me feel a bit queesy and it was impossible descending stairs. :cry:

I overcome the problem of varying distances at the computer by perching my normal long-distance glasses at different positions on the bridge of my nose :lol: works well actually but you need a reasonably long nose. Wouldn't work for most Orientals ... no offence intended. :)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Sun May 29, 2011 7:00 am

MGV12 wrote:I overcome the problem of varying distances at the computer by perching my normal long-distance glasses at different positions on the bridge of my nose

Good heavens above and praise the lord ..... it works!!!!! :D :D :D
MGV12 wrote:They also made me feel a bit queesy and it was impossible descending stairs.

It took me quite a while to manage stairs. I've overcome that problem now by building a house without stairs.
fredlk

Postby otis-a » Mon May 30, 2011 10:59 am

r/gls
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby otis-a » Mon May 30, 2011 11:04 am

da B2 reading glasses
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Next

Return to medical