Placement of Condenser Units

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Placement of Condenser Units

Postby Greenside » Thu May 16, 2013 11:50 am

Our present house has Panasonic a/c's in the bedrooms which are adjacent to each other. We concealed the pipework to some extent and mounted the condensers on a separate concrete slab to minimise any possible transmission of noise and also to try and avoid the rust and dirt marks that often seem to run down from the kind of wall mounts usually used by installers. The noise idea works well - we've never ever heard either of the outside units kick in and the horizontal pipes are not obtrusive from a few metres away.

Our new house only has one place where there are two rooms next to each other and I don't want to build three mounts for single condensers if I can help it. I'm wondering if it would be feasible to position them on the ground but build them into the block wall which has an average of 70cm clearance between the underside of the ground beams and the existing soil level. I can see that the electrics would be more exposed if we had a flood but on the other hand perhaps they could provide some ventilation to the crawlspace which is pretty large. I realise that we'd have to allow for maintenance, too.

Has anyone tried this or have any thoughts on the subject?

Also, we had some resistance to chasing pipework into the wall from the installer of the system in our present house on the grounds of maintenance. We compromised by building a false pillar but I'm interested to hear if anybody has had issues with the pipes that connect the condenser to the inside unit.
Greenside

Re: Placement of Condenser Units

Postby BKKBILL » Thu May 16, 2013 5:16 pm

Greenside: I like you hi-tech plant watering device also isolating your concrete pads from the house not sure about your idea of pulling air from the crawl space though.

Chasing pipes in walls is done here all the time think your guy was looking for the soft easy way out.

One of the air con outfits make a multi-point air con units with one condenser think it was Mitsubishi will see if I can find it if you think that would work for you.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Greenside » Thu May 16, 2013 8:20 pm

Carrier (?) make one and probably others but when I researched it last year no-one wanted to sell me one and talked it down relentlessly.

As far as pipes in walls go, that was my take on it too although my builder would have done the actual work of carving out the path for the pipes. They're copper (should be gold, given the price they want) and I can't see why if they are well protected and insulated they should need significant maintenance.

What are your misgivings about the mounting position?
Greenside

Postby BKKBILL » Thu May 16, 2013 10:04 pm

Greenside wrote: They're copper (should be gold, given the price they want)

I've noticed prices for copper are rather high, mind you we do have a member claiming he/she used three inch copper vents for the plumbing (no pictures mind you) so guess we shouldn't complain about half inch.

As for misgivings about the mounting position of the compressors there aren't any really other than what you mentioned.

Nice pictures keep them coming good luck with your build your pool already looks inviting. :mrgreen:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby runker » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:30 am

they could provide some ventilation to the crawlspace which is pretty large.

Would these units being pulling the air from the crawl space? If so I think that would help your units work better since the air under the crawl space would be cooler. I like the idea of multi point units too,
Carrier (?) make one and probably others but when I researched it last year no-one wanted to sell me one and talked it down relentlessly.
could it be they make more money selling you additional units and that is the real reason.
runker

Postby Greenside » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:52 am

Yes, the idea was that they would pull air through the crawl space to assist with ventilation as well as being less obtrusive.
Greenside

Return to cooling systems