Skylight with exhaust fan

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Skylight with exhaust fan

Postby schuimpge » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:48 pm

Hello all,

I am renovating a 15yr old townhouse in Pathum.
During trips to Vietnam, I always notice the glass towers on houses with one of those ball shaped ventilators on top.
To me, this looks like an ideal way to cool your house.
Sun heats air in the glass tower, so it starts to rise and exit through the fan.
So the roofspace air will be pulled up and cooler air from the ground will keep flowing up.

I realize that this does not bring the temperature down, but it creates a constant flow of air through the house that gives a more comfortable feeling.
Most of the area around the house is covered with roof, so there's no burning hot floor surface that brings very hot air into the house.

My house has 5 split levels, a large central open area all the way to the roof. So besides a cool attic which would reduce aircon cost in the bedrooms below it, it would serve open plan kitchen, living area.

The fan would add to the pull of air and keep the flow going on cloudy days which typically have more wind anyway.

Curious about anybody's experience with this.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Re: Skylight with exhaust fan

Postby schuimpge » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:14 pm

Forgot to add...

The roof will be insulated with PU foam, including all overhangs, creating an almost airtight attic so air will mostly be pulled through ventilation openings in the ceiling.
schuimpge

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:17 pm

Luc,
You are totally correct. We currently live in a townhouse and have the revolving extractor on the roof. It will drop the upstairs temperature by 4 degrees. Most of the townhouses in this village also have the same revolving extractor fan.
Roger Ramjet

Postby schuimpge » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:39 pm

Thanks Roger. Adds to my conviction on this.
Very curious as to how much the glass tower will add in the draft through the house.
Will need to start making pictures for a renovation thread and post a topic on my current house renovation.
Eventually, both houses will be connected at various places to make it a huge townhouse with garden inbetween.

Cheers,
Luc
schuimpge

Postby rubik101 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:35 pm

<Please do not make duplicate posts on several threads - mod>
Measure twice, cut once. Buy cheap, buy twice.
rubik101

Return to cooling systems