Changing my sigle block wall into a cavity wall

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Changing my sigle block wall into a cavity wall

Postby cooked » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:15 am

The one wall of our house, 65mm, is exposed to the sun all day and I can really feel the heat radiating off it in the evening. By the way I went to pick up a block yesterday and nearly burnt my fingers, much swearing ensued.
So how do I add a second wall? I suspect that load bearing Q blocks would be the easiest way as I don't see how I can easily insert wall ties. 20 cm? At the highest point the wall will be 3 meters high.
There are two large windows in this wall, can I improve insulation here also? Maybe I need shutters, never saw any in Thailand.
What about venting the space?
Dolt: a dull or foolish fellow
cooked

Re: Changing my sigle block wall into a cavity wall

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:29 am

One of the oldest methods of shading a house is to grow bushy trees or large shrubs near so as to filter the suns rays ,just the same as it's cool sitting under a tree. Much more effective and cheaper than adding another skin of blocks to a house already built I would have thought. Venting an already built roof with those Whirlybird vents would help get rid of the built up heat from the day also.
Mike Judd

Postby cooked » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:44 am

Unfortunately planting a tree is not an option at this part of the house.
cooked

Postby pattayapope » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:14 am

Did you think about pasterboard and insulation similar to what Max did on his build, would be the most economical and quickest way to solve your current problem and could be finished in a few days with minimum mess inside the house. Another option is external blinds dropping down from the edge of the roof.
pattayapope

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:27 am

cooked,
I don't have a solution to your problem, however, what I found with my new house is the windows and the double front glass doors cause all the heat in the house; so I'm currently working on quotes for fixed shades in either aluminum or canvas for the outside, venetian blinds for the inside and curtains which might solve the problem. The superblock walls inside are cool all day but that's because they are double thickness with a cavity between.
Good luck.
Roger Ramjet

Postby olavhome » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:38 pm

cooked wrote:Unfortunately planting a tree is not an option at this part of the house.

How about making a kind of pergola along the wall with the horisontal layers making shade :?:
Maybe put some kind of "roof over". :idea:
olavhome

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:11 pm

cooked wrote:Unfortunately planting a tree is not an option at this part of the house.

I would have to guess there isn't room for trees or shrubs, but a solution maybe easier if more info was available. Like where is the wall in relation to the sun in the day, single storey or double, any eaves overhanging which can help when the sun is at it's highest ,where as only a cavity wall as contemplated will help if it's when the sun is going down in the afternoon. Or any sort of a screen trellis in wood would do the job, with some sort of canopy in canvas or alloy over the windows if they require separate protection. Very hard to advise though with-out more details.
Mike Judd

Postby geordie » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:12 pm

are you intending to change you name to well cooked :roll:
Quickest keast intrusive way of dealing with your problem is plasterboard with polystyrene bonded to it you can have it done in a day primarily its glued to the wall with dollops of adhesive then tape and skim the joins and add a coat of paint i have seen the stuff at do home on the rangsit nakon nayok road -305 and at the junction for wang noi Ayuttaya just under £20 for an 8x4 sheet apr 850bht it would pay to rig a shutter
as well you could do something with sliding door gear (i am considering it :mrgreen: even a reflective foil on the windows (film) can help to a degree
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby cooked » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:17 am

I am now thinking about the pergola idea, maybe I'll use a straw roof, replace it every two or three years. I don't want to insulate on the inside, too complicated. I also have yet to insulate the ceiling, it is a tangled web of wire up there, so I guess we'll have to take the roof off.
cooked

Return to cooling systems