Insulating wooden house questions

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Insulating wooden house questions

Postby fredgallaher » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:01 am

I'm purchasing a teak wood home in Phrae. The house is double walled but not currently air conditioned. I anticipate taking down the interior wall and installing fiberglass insulation. I also need to do the ceiling and install windows. Any suggestions on what to do and what not to do would be appreciated.
Fred
fredgallaher

Re: Insulating wooden house questions

Postby pattayapope » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:18 am

Fred

Sounds like an interesting project maybe you sould start a thread on the building story forum and post some pictures of the place. One thing for sure if you are going to do major rework on the inside I would look at redoing the electrics and plumbing.
pattayapope

Postby geordie » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:12 am

sorry fred i meant to reply earlier i wanted to do similar with the in laws house and was advised not too
what i had planned was to place f/glass wool between the walls and also the plastic foil/film then plasterboard over it
the wood breaths too mutch for just f/glass so the idea was staple the foil to the wood first then f/glass wool then plasterboard or plywood
having been shot down in flames by the Thais in laws i ended up replacing the house with concrete which is aparently now too cold ????
I was after a bit of quiet as well the house is in the village and the chickens/dogs/motorbikes
24 hours a day can be a bit tedious especially at night when you are having trouble getting off to sleep anyway
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredgallaher » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:02 pm

We got the house and we are in the process of having the downstairs and outside refinished. Its taking about 3 weeks to do but its looking really good. As for the insulation, I going to do the ceiling for sure with fiberglass. I think I can get it with reflective foil on top. The wall are all double walled and beautifully finished, so I reluctant to pulling the walls down. Since we plan to extend the master bedroom, I might just insulate the MBR for now. We have 900 sq ft upstairs with 2 bedrooms. I plan to install 4 AC units, but I'm not sure how many BTUs.
We wont be making a permanent move until next year, so we have time to work out the details.
I'll send pictures later when they take down the scaffolding.
Fred
fredgallaher

Postby geordie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:46 pm

i look forward to seeing the pictures as i am sure do all the members
The problem with wooden houses is they let air through too easily allowing hot air in and cool air out as you say the house is beautiful and i respect your choice of not wishing to destroy the look it just means higher cost and less efficient air con good luck and don,t forget the pictures
geordie

Postby runker » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:29 pm

You could drill holes between the studs and blow in insulation that way.
runker

Postby geordie » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:19 am

Can you get the blown insulation over there ?
geordie

Return to cooling systems